PDA

View Full Version : X-channel planning

EESDL
23rd Jun 2004, 13:13
Taking a couple of small puddle jumpers over to the KoksijdAirshow on 2/7 and wondered if there was a web site/links for advice on flying over the channel out of UK (EGMH).
Survival aids are all catered for and aim to fly as high as possible!
Regards

GK430
23rd Jun 2004, 14:24
Lucky you - always fancied going to that one.

Easy trip; Flight plan EBBR direct KOK with good VOR which is easy to receive once you get in the climb out of Manston.

I usually talk to Lon Info on 124.6 once passed SEN en route Ostend and they usually arrange hand over to Ostend. Not sure, but you may get the same with Ostend handing you off to Koksijde.

FlyingForFun
23rd Jun 2004, 15:18
I don't know of any website or link, but all the information you need is readilly accessible.

Pooleys contains detailed information on the customs, immigration and special branch requirements for the UK authorities. The Jeppessen trip-kits contain similar information for the countries you will be visiting and/or overflying. And CAA Safety Sense leaflet 20 (which is also in the back of LASORS if you can't find the leaflet) describes how to complete your flight plan.

These sources should tell you everything you need to know. And of course advice from others who have done similar trips will tell you more information which is nice to know, too.

Have fun!

FFF
------------

Brooklands
23rd Jun 2004, 16:56
I seem to remember that this (or something similar) was discussed on this forum not so long ago. Try putting Ostend or Koksidje into the search function and see what pops up.

Its a few years since I went to Ostend, but as far as I remember we went from Lydd, and routed via the ING NDB and KOK VOR. Ostend will tell you if the danger areas around Koksidje are active (I think they're usually inactive at the weekend). Coming back we routed direct to DVR (which means you avoid French airspace), but means quite a long sea crossing, although for the first few miles you aren't that far form the coast. Other than the usual things you need to do for going foreign I don't recall any issues, except that I think Ostend require you to have a (working) transponder.

Brooklands

EESDL
23rd Jun 2004, 19:16
Thanks folks - I have planned it along those lines, just didn't think that it would have been so straight forward!!