PDA

View Full Version : Jepp or Aerad

boomerangben
23rd Jun 2004, 12:42
For those of you IMC / IR rated who actually buy rather than blag plates, which do you use? The one I use are ok, but the ammendments seem to mostly correct incorrect plates. Is one better than the other at getting the plates first time round?

TonyR
23rd Jun 2004, 18:35
A few years ago I changed from Jepps to Aerad, now I have gone back to Jepps.

I think some of the vital info is a bit easier (quicker) to find on the Jepps. And when I fly in the US I am more familiar with Jepps.

Check out here (http://www.gcap.co.uk/) also

Tony

White Knight
23rd Jun 2004, 18:38
It's got to be Aerad's I would say - far easier to make sense of. I've used both with various airlines, the Jepps SUCK IMOH:ugh:

High Wing Drifter
23rd Jun 2004, 19:30
Excellent link Tony. Thanks :)

A and C
24th Jun 2004, 07:41
On the face of it the plates on the link above are very atractive but the example shown ( Alderney ) is a very simple approach and is not much more "uncluttered" than often critisised Jepp plates.

Perhaps a more complicated approach with a lot of high ground in the vicinity such as Inverness would be a better example to show if these plates meet there objective of being uncluttered and easy to use.

2Donkeys
24th Jun 2004, 07:44
The Jepps win the day on the basis of coverage. Aerad is pretty pitiful outside the UK. Don't expect to find a plate if an airliner - particularly a BA one - never flew there.

Jepps also win the day on the grounds of familiarity. Once you are used to them, a factor which applies to any chart system, you can get them for any place on the planet you intend to fly, and you will immediately feel comfortable.

A classic example is a flying holiday in the US. The Aerad user has the choice of NOS or Jepp charts, both of which will be highly unfamiliar. The Jepp user simply goes for.... ermmm... Jepps. And they look just the same in the US as they do everywhere else.

DRJAD
24th Jun 2004, 07:45
Aerad for me. I'm quite happy with both the format and the amendment service.