PDA

View Full Version : Glastonbury Festival

paulo
22nd Jun 2004, 21:09
Against my better judgement a friend persuaded me to go. And in spite of the nightmare with tickets, events conspired to me ending up with up with one...:eek: :ok:

So, no idea if the area is NOTAMmed or anything, but if any of you lovely people happen to be out and about over the weekend and can safely take a few aerial shots, I'd love to see them.

(assuming I come back alive and haven't decided to leave conventional society or whatever. :p)

Wish me luck - it's looking like a muddy one already :ooh:

Whirlygig
23rd Jun 2004, 06:46
It will be NOTAM'd big style. Last year, a helicopter got into a bit of trouble for flying over the corner of the "no-fly zone" and was very ably defended by Flying Lawyer.

However, if you really don't want the ticket, I'll take it off your hands for you!!!

Cheers

Whirlygig

FNG
23rd Jun 2004, 06:48
Hey, if I wanted to play in mud and see people with interesting tattoos, I'd fly to Andrewsfield.

rtl_flyer
23rd Jun 2004, 10:14
paulo,

Glastonbury is NOTAMed every year. Just think about the number going.

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aic/4M111.PDF (you need to log in). 2.5nm radius 3100ft.
Note: The restriction is not over Glastonbury town, its the festival site which is proberbly closer to Shepton Mallet.

Most of the Festivals are NOTAMed.

paulo
23rd Jun 2004, 20:52
Ahh, well I guess I should be reassured that our regulators are protecting the 120,000 living in those fields for wee while...

so, OK, well, the trick the is to go above the alt limit, then park a nice knife edge, whip out the camera with a decent zoom lense, steady the shot and... ok, it's not going to happen. :p Well, wish me luck anyway.

Whirly - Can I retrospectively sell you the ticket + tardis if it turns out be a mudbath? :}

VP8
23rd Jun 2004, 22:10
FNG Sez

Hey, if I wanted to play in mud and see people with interesting tattoos, I'd fly to Andrewsfield.

Wot yooz saying about uz lot at Andrewsfield!!!

VEEPS (no tattoo's but an interesting piercing!!):}

FNG
24th Jun 2004, 07:43
Don't warry, Veeps, at least it ent Staayplefud. No wander you can't find a bleedin plammer these days: the're all dahn the road flying, there or at Sarfend, wiv St George flags stuck up their bleedin pitot tubes.

PS: Can you get a good GPS signal on your piercing?

newswatcher
28th Jun 2004, 10:00
paulo, caught Joss Stone's set on the Beeb. One word - "WOW".

FNG
28th Jun 2004, 11:38
I gather that the only flying at Glastonbury yesterday was due to be done by some Valkyries. How did the ENO's performance of Act 3 of Die Walküre go down with the unwashed masses?

Chilli Monster
28th Jun 2004, 13:07
I know some gentlemen who've got lots of Aerial photos of the Glastonbury festival - but if you appear in any of them I'd be extremely worried ;)

newswatcher
28th Jun 2004, 13:31
FNG, according to the Indie, it went down a storm.

Whoops, sorry, that was the weather!!:D :D

paulo
28th Jun 2004, 19:35
It's not the place for me to be effusing about a festival, but I have to say: That was awesome. Even with the mud. Jaw droppingly awesome. No hippy leanings or funny fags required. :ok:

Right now I'm back in a nice warm flat, in SW1, with a glass of cold white. But actually I want to be back in that rainy field, living in a tent, sipping luke warm vodka and lemon.

Pass me a kaftan - I'm converted. :)

(Newswatcher - We caught Joss Stone at the Jazz/World Stage, but were too far back to hear properly. Oddly, she did a second slot, Pyramid Stage I think. Much better sound.)

Ian_Wannabe
28th Jun 2004, 20:39
Hey - Just returned from glasto - Awesome :p

But i wanted to post on here (not sure if this forum is the right place for it), about the parachute person who was seen parachuting/paragliding (I dont know the difference!) over Glastonbury on Sat (I think). Looked as if he had the best view in the world

paulo
28th Jun 2004, 20:45
Ian - Reports from the festival forums are that one or two did indeed land on Sunday. The strangest thing (and quite scarey, from an aviation point of view) was seeing a tent being taken away by a pair of helium balloons. :E

Whirlygig
28th Jun 2004, 20:49
a tent being taken away by a pair of helium balloons.

... that would have been the only surviving recipient of the Darwin Award then??!!

Cheers

Whirlygig

paulo
28th Jun 2004, 21:11
Didn't have binoculars to confirm if the tent dweller was still there. It would be bad thing to wake up to though. 2,000ft, hungover, and having to think through some zone clearances whilst fish out some wet wipes and remembering which corner of your tent the fags ended up in. :)