PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Newcastle

salvation
22nd Jun 2004, 20:52
Waiting for the thunderstorm to clear yesterday on the ramp, the Brit 757 taxied out to 25. Everyone using 07. An Airbus landed and reported 15 knots headwind on 07, we reported ice on our wings following the storm and got de iced. All of this was reported to the Britannia. Did he get his wings inspected after the tower offered - no. Did he change runways - no !

What is with them and their insistence of using runway 25 ?

Pub User
22nd Jun 2004, 23:13
So how long did it take Newcastle to rustle up a de-icing truck on Midsummer's day? Was there any ice (presumably rapidly-melting hailstones) left when it got there?

Did he get his wings inspected? Last time I inspected the wings it was by clambering over the passengers in (about) row 33 , I can't imagine it was very obvious from outside.

QAR ASR
22nd Jun 2004, 23:19
What was the OAT? What were you in????

Was the 15kts on the ground or in the air?

Icing on the ground in the month of June?

Stu Bigzorst
22nd Jun 2004, 23:20
Er, could it be because the surface wind was 6 knots and the tower suggested 25 at that time would give a better path away from the weather (hence approaches on 07)???

QAR: 13C. The storm had deposited some slush puppy stuff onto the horizontal surfaces.

Pub User: About 20 mins.

Pub User
22nd Jun 2004, 23:30
20 mins? Very impressive at this time of year. Was there any 'slush puppy stuff' left by then? Great description by the way.

Stu Bigzorst
22nd Jun 2004, 23:32
Dunno, I was in the front office testing coffee...

QAR ASR
23rd Jun 2004, 05:00
Don't think I'd have been able to keep a straight face while requesting the de-icing.

I think someone has earnt themselves a great nickname out of this. The despatcher must have received a bonus for selling de-icer in June!!!

BRISTOLRE
23rd Jun 2004, 11:32
Unusual for some much wx like this in the UK in June?
However bib big depression over the UK currently, certainly in the south of the country some stong winds currently !

Known the cricket to be snowed off in Buxton, Derbyshire before in June many moons ago!

FinalsToLand
23rd Jun 2004, 15:46
All of this was reported to the Britannia. Did he get his wings inspected after the tower offered - no. Did he change runways - no !

You trying to suggest the BY crew had a case of bad judgement?

Next time i see the crew who operated the flight your on about i'll have a word with them and see wot their opinions are.

F.T.L.

salvation
23rd Jun 2004, 18:56
The point was that the offers of information were in good faith to a fellow aviator and would have been given if it had been Air 2000, Monarch, MyTravel or Easy. The R/T replies suggested that they had made a decision and would stick by it which I thought was a bit off.

We spend so much time in classrooms doing CRM, I wonder whether the message is getting through sometimes :(

FinalsToLand
23rd Jun 2004, 18:59
would have been given if it had been Air 2000, Monarch, MyTravel or Easy

Would it?

F.T.L.

QAR ASR
23rd Jun 2004, 20:37
And I'm sure you'd have had the same reaction.

T1T!!