PDA

View Full Version : Do I dare touch it?

tacpot
22nd Jun 2004, 19:01
The mixture control in the aircraft I have a share in looks absolutely ancient. To my knowldge no-one has every attempted to lean the engine using it. I have only ever seen it in the Full Rich and Idle Cut-off positons. It is not operated via a vernier control, and the action is not smooth. The aircraft does not have an electric starter, and so if the mixture is leaned too aggressively and the engine cuts out, the result would be somewhat unpredictable. :eek:

So do I attempt to use it, and if so, is there some technique I can use to minimise the risk of reaching a point where the engine stops? Or do I just accept that this aircraft is always going to be thirsty?

rustle
22nd Jun 2004, 19:14
If, as it sounds, you are concerned that this mixture control is either "on" or "off", why not try leaning the engine whilst still safely on the ground?

If it works normally, great - lean as required

If it works "digitally", then you know not to use it in the air.

Or did I miss something?

QNH 1013
22nd Jun 2004, 20:02
You didn't say what the aircraft / engine are, but in my experience a fixed-pitch prop won't stop in flight even if you switch off the mags, or pull the mixture to ICO.

My disclaimer is that there may be some engine / prop combinations where you can easily stop the prop in flight. However, in my experience you have to slow the aircraft to just above the stall to stop the prop in flight after switching off the mags.

Further disclaimer.... (Don't try this at home). Although you have difficulty in stopping the prop in flight, if it does stop you will also have difficulty restarting it, i.e. to get over the first compression stroke. It may require a steep dive up to VNE, and even then it may remain stationary, and you will probably have used up 2000 feet of altitude.

If you ever have to do this for real there are two tricks left: pull at max g out of the dive, or roll the aircraft opposite to the prop rotation direction. Remember, however, that you will be way over design manoeuvring speed.

sycamore
22nd Jun 2004, 20:08
Why not get an engineer( one with oil-stained fingernails- not one who sits in an office) to fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:*

dmjw01
22nd Jun 2004, 21:59
I'm with QNH 1013 on this. The prop almost certainly won't stop, so if you pull the mixture to ICO in flight the engine is still turning, and the mags are still sparking the plugs. All that's missing is the correct mixture - so if you calmly return the mixture to fully rich the engine WILL burst back into life. There should be no need to crank it - and you probably shouldn't even need to switch the fuel pump on. If it doesn't come back to life there's something wrong with the engine.

Surely the mixture control must be usable on your aircraft? You don't mention whether it's on a C-of-A or not, but I'd be amazed if any aircraft would get through an annual with an u/s mixture control.

TonyR
22nd Jun 2004, 22:41
Too many pilots are afraid to touch it even when it works properly.

dirkdj
23rd Jun 2004, 05:09
Proper use of the mixture control can not only save money, it can also save your life.

Knowing when and how to lean the mixture for takeoff in a hot-and-high setting is certainly good airmanship.

willfly380
23rd Jun 2004, 05:52
i havent flown the props for almost 15 yrs now so please excuse if am wrong.
you have a few options
1.you could get an engineer to take a look at it.
2.you could try to lean it on ground.
3.depending on your comfort level,your experience etc . give it a try at a safe altitude from which you could glide to the runway incase the engine quits on you and doesnt start again.
the best solution is to ask somebody very qualified on the type to answer your question and to be with you when you do try the above in air.
the props that i have flown we did have to lean the mixture at high altitudes else we had too rich a mix.
ALL THE SAME FLYING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS so take care and happy landings

tacpot
23rd Jun 2004, 06:45
Thanks for the suggestions.

The aircraft is a Aeronca Chief with a Continental C90 Engine and MA3-SPA carburetor. It is on a PFA Permit to Fly.

As far as I know the mixture control does work progessively, but never having tried it in the air or on the ground I don't know how linear it's operation is. I'll definitely try it on the ground first.

I'm keen to use it correctly as this should extend the safe range of the aircraft which is not generous when two up.

If it works on the ground, I'll try it in the air when within gliding distance of an airfield, and when in practice with PFLs. I am taking comfort in the fact that at least two people reckon the engine is unlikely to stop in the air even with the mixture down to ICO.

Thanks again

stiknruda
23rd Jun 2004, 08:41
Tacpot,

If I relay my experiences with leaning my HAL26, I believe that it may help you. ;)

In the cruise above 2500', I always leaned it.

I'd set the power to 2350 or somewhere around there, then very very slowly I would pull the mixture knob towards me until I could hear the revs rise. I'd then continue pulling it until the engine revs began to reduce.

Then I'd push the mixture towards the dash - and basically by judgement guesstimate halfway between increasing revs and decaying revs.

As you descend don't forget to enrichen it!

I have occasionally pulled the mixture out too far and the engine has begun to die, the prop is still whizzing raround ut it has gone seriously quiet up front...

but by pushing the mixture back, the little C90 always burst back into life. And after a moment of two, I would attempt to lean it with less vigour!

Stik

tacpot
23rd Jun 2004, 20:33
Cheers Stik

It does indeed help. Its very useful to see your cruise settings and leaning technique. Exactly what I needed to know. :)

Thanks for the confirmation that even if the mixture is pulled too far back, a C90 can still be pursuaded back into life.

Good point about remembering to enrichen the mixture on the descent. Hours spent polling around the circuit at Full Rich means that this check is somewhat unfamiliar...

Cheers.

PH-UKU
24th Jun 2004, 07:56
Hours spent polling around the circuit at Full Rich ... ...

That sounds like the wee airfield near Little Leaning ..... ;)

Send Clowns
24th Jun 2004, 11:06
Try doing a 4-point hesitation roll in a Chipmunk, or any carburettor-engined aircraft. Cuts off fuel to the engine when inverted, no power produced but continues turning. When back in positive g the engine springs back into life. Perfectly normal practice, and in any piston engine that is working correctly you can cut the fuel supply, the prop will windmill, and as soon as fuel is restored the engine will produce power again.