View Full Version : instructor scam

juggernaut
31st Jul 2001, 01:00
Recently at a fairly large g.a. school where I work, several instructors in employment there were offered a job requesting first officers on a Cessna Citation XL in Helsinki, they were required to pay for the type rating before commencing the course. The said instructors called AOPA and did as many checks as they could and were convinced that the job was legitimate so foolishly wired the money. The arrangements for travel were made and a business jet arrived to collect them from the local airport. On arrival at Helsinki they travelled to the local hotel only to wait there all weekend with a sinking feeling. On return and in contact with the police the said company is well known in France and the man involved holds many passports. This is a warning to other flying club employees and instructors that to be on the lookout for faxes or telephone calls from abroad involving charter work or employment with pre-paid type ratings, needless to say the business jet company is also seeking this man.
He is a french speaking male, and is knowledgeable on aviation matters and training, the compaany was registered in the Cayman Islands.If you were offered a jet job would you refuse it? :o

Flintstone
31st Jul 2001, 16:08
Very, very sorry to hear about this juggernaut.

I realise that this b@stard's name cannot be posted here (more's the pity) but as a matter of interest would you be prepared to e-mail it to me?