PDA

View Full Version : Any FI shortage in UK ?

patlolo
4th Jan 2001, 23:42
hi !

just heard there was a huge FI shortage in UK . Is that true as I am considering the FI course as an option for the near future ?

Any chance of getting a job quickly then ?

cheers

TooHotToFly
5th Jan 2001, 01:09
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Maybe in the summer it's not too hard to get work but there is definately not a shortage.

buffet
7th Jan 2001, 03:24
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.
There is a definate shortage of Instructors. My local flying club has a handful of partime FI's (of which I am one) whom work for airlines. We have 1 full time instructor. We have been trying to get another and need a CFI. An advert in 'pilot' produced ONE reply. THere may be more AFI's but I do not believe there are exactly loads of them and there are few FI's looking for a job.
Face facts -the hour building route is dead and the number of people who wish to instruct for a career are few compared with those doing courses for an airline job.

juswonnafly
7th Jan 2001, 12:21
Buffet........ Where is your club? I am looking for a new position

JWF

TooHotToFly
7th Jan 2001, 15:14
There's always going to be a shortage of experienced instructors because they generally move on the airlines. However there are plenty of FI(R) about and while it's not too difficult to get a job, I don't know any flying schools that are desperate for instructors.

And while JAA has wiped out the self-improver route, I don't think we'll see that many less FI's. There are just as many jobs, so there will be just as many people unemployed, so people will get an FI rating and instruct for a while until they are more attractive to the airlines.

RVR800
8th Jan 2001, 14:43
There is no shortage Lincs / E Yorks

I have an unrestricted rating and there
is no work at the moment

RV

Noggin
11th Feb 2001, 20:20
The idea that JAA has wiped out the self improver route is really a load of nonsense.
The UKs first attempt at a 200 hour CPL was the BCPL. Now we have the JAR-FCL CPL (VFR) what is the difference? Just 10 hours of training but then, you don't need a 15 hour IMC course so there is little or no difference in reality. An IR is an IR even if it takes 10 hours longer. Will you get a job at 200 - 250 hours? No! so some way is required to build hours to a useable figure. Under JAR-FCL the Modular route is nothing more than another name for the old self improver route. It is far from dead looking at the correspondence on this web-site alone.

There is a shortage of experienced FIs (a sign of a boyant pilot market) but the shortage of less experienced FIs appears to be regional in nature. Central England seems well supplied, but the more remote areas have trouble in finding instructors.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 11 February 2001).]

Night Rider
13th Feb 2001, 04:10
Hi,

If you really want to become an instructor I would say GO FOR IT! The thing that I would bear in mind though is wages. As your probably aware most instructors, particularly inexperienced ones, are VERY underpaid (if paid at all!). Instructors are the most underpaid and undercredited pilots in aviation - this is a situation which I would like to see turned around. Instructors who work hard and take the job seriously (not just use it as an hour`s building exercise) should be paid a proper wage!

If the job is done properly instructing is a very satisfying and enjoyable profession but don`t expect to get paid very much - at least not yet!

Have fun and safe flying......

------------------
Kit