PDA

View Full Version : Turning in

Aim Far
21st Jun 2004, 08:37
I've done this a couple of times on aeros trips with an instructor. You see another plane that looks like it might want to play, fly by and both planes turn in towards each other and the circling "fight" begins. It is just about the most fun you can have in a small aeroplane IMHO.

Yesterday was the first time I have been challenged while on my own and who was I to refuse? :) So we had an entertaining few minutes turning on each other.

I just wondered if there are any unwritten rules or points of etiquette for this kind of thing? Is it just a turning game or can you loop and dive etc? How do you indicate a win or concede a loss? Wing waggles? Take as read the 500 and 1500 feet rules, the need to check airspeed and altitude periodically, the need to do some kind of HASELL and the need to be in a suitable aeroplane.

Also, I lost. Any tips?

FNG
21st Jun 2004, 09:16
Great fun, isn't it? The etiquette seems to be that if you tip in towards each other, you're on. The important thing is to keep the other guy visible. Depending on your aircraft type, you can either climb or dive away to disengage, or fly straight and level. Loops etc are of lttle use in dogfights as you lose sight of your antagonist, and lose speed. You could try a high or a low yo-yo if your turning circles and/or speeds don't match up well (high yo-yo: pull up and wingover back down onto his tail. Low yo-yo, dive and zoom up). Otherwise, just clench your stomach muscles, roll on 85 degrees of bank, and pull like mad.

Done responsibly, there's no harm in this. Obviously look out well for other aircraft in the area.

PS: Wide-Body can describe his patented technique for shooting down Nangchangs in a Rallye. Pop those slats!

PPS: What are you flying and where from? Fancy a contest some day near North Weald or Waltham?

Aim Far
21st Jun 2004, 09:47
FNG - Check your PMs