PDA

View Full Version : Narita Airport incident ?

cresslime
21st Jun 2004, 06:02
past june 17th two widebodies from KLM and Asiana Airlineshave been involved in a runway incident at Narita. The KLM coming from EHAM was landing while the Asiana aircraft was just rolling for take off destination Incheon. It's just an internet false rumour ? could anybody confirm this japanesse incident?

Kalium Chloride
21st Jun 2004, 09:55
I understand it wasn't a widebody from Asiana but an A321.

Beanbag
21st Jun 2004, 10:04
There was something on Airwise News about two aircraft heading towards each other on the same taxiway - no impact though. Apparently one runway was closed for an hour while they sorted it out. I did consider posting here at the time to ask why they needed to close a runway, but thought I'd probably get flamed for my ignorance.

flapsforty
21st Jun 2004, 13:10
According to the Japanese news agency Kyodo, the 2 aircraft met on a 30 meter wide taxiway. Not wide enough, so the taxiway was closed and a tractor eventually pushed back the Airbus. After which the taxiway was re-opened.

cresslime
21st Jun 2004, 14:56
thanks flaps40 & others, question was clariflied at all. The original information received by me was about an incident on the active Narita runway.

bigbeerbelly
26th Jun 2004, 13:58
That almost happened to me once in Nashville, TN. It was about midnight and the ground controller told me to taxi to the runway and I should take the connector. The connector is a one way taxiway that is only about 25ft wide. Just as I start down the connector an American MD80 shows up at the opposite end. Luckily I was still able to do a 180, we would have both been stuck if I had been 10 feet further on to the connector. The ground controller lady seemed completely oblivious to the blunder that she almost caused.

BBB

WorkingHard
26th Jun 2004, 18:01
BBB- happened to me at Birmingham. Head to head with 747. My fault turned off onto the wrong taxi way BUT my embarrassment was absolute as I was driving a Cessna 172. I should love to know who was driving the Boeing as he waved out of the flightdeck window and said over the ground RT "Will you back up or shall I?"
Wonderful character or what?