PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth pilots

TonyR
20th Jun 2004, 22:38
Just wondering if any of you are based at Plymouth.

I have a trip down next Sunday (27th) from Belfast, I will be around for a few hours. 10:00 - 18:00

Anything interesting to see, do at or near the airport.

Tony

Aussie Andy
21st Jun 2004, 10:34
I am also planning a trip there on 31 July... interested in the answers!

Andy

BEXIL160
21st Jun 2004, 11:54
I have flown into Plymouth a few times, but not to stay for very long... Tip. You will probably have to park on the sloping apron, so USE THE CHOCKS provided. (okay, granny and eggs and all that, but worth a reminder)

However, I did grow up there so still know a little about the place.

Things to do? Take a taxi down to The Barbican. (Will only take about 15 min on a good day). This is the Old part of Plymouth. The streets still have original cobbles. You can see the "Mayflower Steps", where The Pilgrims finally left England for the New world. There are many Elizabethan Houses. (look at the small Windows and doors).

Also here is a plaque commemorating the first crossing of the Atlantic by Air. Achived by the USN with several Curtis Flying boats, and lots of warships stung out across the pond. Can't remember dates, but I'm sure someone will advise.

The National Marine Aquarium is a short walk away http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk/about/

Or, you can walk up onto The Hoe, for a magnificent view of Plymouth Sound and Drake's Island.

Food. Gotta be a Pasty, if you're in Plymuff.

Enjoy

Rgds BEX

Charlie Zulu
21st Jun 2004, 13:31
Hi Tony,

I've been down to Plymouth a few times in the last few weeks on maintenance runs.

I don't know Plymouth City (town?) itself, the last time I was there was around twenty years ago when I was about seven years old.

Just a quick warning: If you're landing on Runway 31 then try to stay high on the approach, especially over the factories on very short finals... the turbulence can be quite bad if you're on the correct approach slope. R31 slopes up...

The longest I've been there is around two to three hours (whilst a 50 hour check has been performed on the aircraft) but was utterly bored within an hour or so. Thus I took a walk and found a college and sports centre on the airport road and a little further on a McDonalds, Pizza Hut and KFC. All nice eateries... NOT!!!

On the otherside of the runway is a nice pub I've been told.

The town probably isn't far and there are a load of buses, or alternatively phone a taxi firm from the airport terminal.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.