PDA

View Full Version : White Waltham Catering - any good?

WalthamBurger
20th Jun 2004, 21:12
Dear fellow pilots,

I'm a member of WLAC (West London Aero Club) as I know many of you are. I just wanted to do a quick straw poll on what you all think to the current catering arrangements at our splendid club?

I'm of the opinion that since the catering arrangements changed a year or so back things have actually got worse rather than better. My main issue is the lack of food, any food, on weekday evenings. Missed in particular are traditional flyers fayre like the good ol' "bacon buttie" or the much missed "Waltham Burger". I also resent the high prices now being charged - for example £7 for fish and chips and £30 for the annual barbecue. Most of my flying is done on a weekday evening and sadly these days I always have to do it on an empty stomach.

What do you folks think? Am I the only one ?

Your feedback would be gratefully received....

- Andy.

P.S. I don't want to start a war here, just want to get a feel for how others think.

BEagle
20th Jun 2004, 21:16
Visited there last year and thought it was rather good. Much better than the usual flying club greasy spoon-style junk food.

But if it's your club, surely it's your say?

Toasted ciabatta with crisp bacon, perhaps?

WalthamBurger
20th Jun 2004, 21:22
Thanks Beagle, glad you liked it. In the main the quality of the food is excellent - I don't have an issue with that personally, my gripe is around price and availability....my question was really aimed at regulars who are members of the club (but your views are welcomed of course!).

Cheers,

- Andy.

Phoenix09
20th Jun 2004, 21:32
As a Waltham based person I like the food that the new (ish) caterers are offering. However I do agree with you that the hours of service are appalling. I often arrive back late afternoon or early evening and feel like something to eat only to find that they stop serving food, any food, after 14.30 on weekdays and 18.00 on summer weekend evenings.

You can, however, still get a bacon butty or baguette there if you ask.

Maybe this is something that we ought to be taking up with the Members Committee.

I do miss the spiral fries though... :(

WalthamBurger
20th Jun 2004, 21:41
Hi Phoenix09,

Thanks for the reply. How do you get a bacon butty or baguette at that time then, that's all I'm after!? I've asked and just get told "sorry there's nothing left" - if I'm really lucky I might get the last ham sandwich but more often than not I go hungry. This is the core of my problem, not the quality of the food they serve just when they serve it and the price.

Needless to say I have taken it up with the members committee (+ve response) and the catering staff (-ve response), but before going any further I want to test the water to see if mine is a largely unrepresentative view or if others feel the same.

Bring back the curly fries!

Cheers again,

- Andy.

Wide-Body
20th Jun 2004, 22:03
Andy

Sorry to disagree, you must have a poor memory. Old catering was appalling. From Deep fried George to Mad Lucy. Whilst I could concur a bit on value, the general quality has gone up. Although quality has slipped slightly since the new Moroccan chef has appeared, the catering management have taken this on board. Having just completed a 10 day tour round the UK by air, Waltham has a much greater standard than most.

I am a very regular customer (almost every non work day). I would explain more of my thoughts but I am knackered.

regards

Wide
:zzz:

Johnm
20th Jun 2004, 22:26
I rarely get to Waltham weekdays these days, but my experience of weekend visits has been excellent. It's not cheap I agree but it is good value.

The old facilities had reached appalling and were descending so I certainly wouldn't want to go back to that.

I suggest that someone asks Sandra if she could arrange for some sandwiches to be available in a cold cabinet evenings and see if that can do the trick?

TonyR
20th Jun 2004, 22:28
I must say that the last time I was there 2-3 years ago, the food was not really that good (one tends to remember the bad experiences).

Nice friendly people though.

Tony

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Jun 2004, 22:36
I like WW, the airfield is great and with 6 RWYs what more can you ask for. People are friendly and the ambiance is great.

Food is very nice and I quite often just amble down to meet with some mates at lunchtime either by car (90 mins) or plane.

Can not say either that the prices are outrageous. Nothing more than I would expect in a decent pub.

Sorry mate, think you are barking up the wrong tree here, although I can not comment on whether they always have what you want available.

FD

WalthamBurger
21st Jun 2004, 07:16
Thanks for your replies all,

I'm a little disappointed that I've only heard from the weekend/ lunchtime crew as my gripe is about service of a weekday evening, but it seems (so far at least) we are a very quiet bunch.

I too have no problem with quality, it's just availability and price that sparked my original post and it would seem, from this poll at least, I am in a minority. So I'll climb off my soapbox.

Incidentally Johnm, I have suggested a vending machine in the ops room for evening sarnies but not yet received any feedback on the idea.

Thanks all, happy flying!

- Andy.

Wide-Body
21st Jun 2004, 11:31
OK Andy

I am a bit more awake now. First of all I am not a weekend/ weekday flyer. I fly at all time during the week. I probably spend more time at the club than is good for me. the subject of catering is close to my heart (just see my name).

There seems to be three areas to look at. Quality, Price and availability. Quality has improved beyond recognition. The food now is properly cooked and presented. As for value it is on a par with all the local food pubs. I certainly have no probs apart from the soup! Availability, yes it is a problem. as you are such a frequent evening flyer you will have seen how few people there are there most of the time. The catering franchise pays a full commercial rate to WLAC and is unable to advertise for trade outside the club. The cost of providing a full evening service are just to high.The only way to achieve full availability would be to write to Roger Mac and suggest that the club subsidise the operation-good luck.

Perhaps you should talk to Sandra, she runs the catering concern. I have done so in the past and always had any problem solved. Funny old thing I normally tell her how good things are. Instead of trying an old bulliten board assasination try talking in person.

Regards

Wide

Just popping down the club for a chicken pesto pannini for less than £3.30. Try that at ANY other flying club.

WalthamBurger
21st Jun 2004, 12:21
Thanks Wide-Body for taking the trouble to reply again. As I said in my original post, my intention is not to "start a war here". I just wanted to test the water and see if the lack of availability of any food in the evenings (and the prices of the daytime fayre) was an issue for any other members at WLAC.

Fly safely and enjoy your lunch!

- Andy.

HairyYellowButt
21st Jun 2004, 22:33
Things have got a lot better since the days of Country Catering when George was enjoying a slice of Lynn's hairy fish-pie and the instructors were participating in a spit-roast of their own.:=

FNG
22nd Jun 2004, 07:40
I agree that the opening hours could be better, but I think that the quality of the food is very good. As Wide Body says, it's a sort of superior pub grub, expecially things like Game Pie. As for the prices, they don't seem excessive, but, hey, I'm used to paying the membership fee, after which anything is cheap. It's a pity that they don't let the caterers advertise outside the club: that might even snare a few new flyers.

If you have time in the evening, you could stroll or cab down to the Beehive pub in Waltham village, where the menu is quite ambitious but the quality quite good.

Applycarbheat
22nd Jun 2004, 12:57
If you have time in the evening, you could stroll or cab down to the Beehive pub in Waltham village, where the menu is quite ambitious but the quality quite good.
You could do if you want to get ripped off even more than the flying club

AS for the club it really is a shambles when it comes to the bar / catering. Sandra is obviously making too much money (not difficult at her prices) if she can afford to close at 15:00 on a Saturday and Sunday. I went in there the other day and got charged £1 for a can of coke for my lad and £5 for a large glass of wine for Mrs Applycarbheat. If I am being tucked up with hotel prices at the bar then I expect a decent service and food on until 21:00 during the summer at weekends. CL should be having words with Sandra to make sure Food is available when it is most needed.........not when the caterers feel like it.

Why all the comparison with pubs :confused:
It's a flying club and I, along with quite a few others expect flying club food which means things like homemade cottage pie, burgers, salads etc and a special of the day........under a fiver.

£7 for fish and chips..........with frozen chips !!!
If you are going to charge hotel prices for food then at least have the professionalism to supply the quality

The cost of providing a full evening service are just to high.The only way to achieve full availability would be to write to Roger Mac and suggest that the club subsidise the operation-good luck.
Sorry wide body, I don't know where you get your information from but the above statement is rubbish.
Over the last 18 years everyone else has been able to provide a full service.........except for the current operatives. Speaks volumes.

£30 for a BBQ !!! :mad:
Not sure it will happen as I believe very few tickets have been sold (and they are wondering why ) :rolleyes:

So .............my opinion of the catering ? Another good example of "rip off Britain".........only this is with attitude.......I'll only rip you off when I can be bothered to open

I'm with Walthamburger all the way on this and so are a lot of regulars at the club

Regards
ACH

FNG
22nd Jun 2004, 13:22
Pilots, eh? Always willing to spend zillions on flying, but equally willing to gripe about a landing fee or the cost of a burger. Pub grub used to be generally dire, but has improved over the last several years. Why not the same with flying clubs?

PS: The Beehive did not strike me as a ripoff, but I eat out in London restaurants several times a week, so judgments on this may be relative. As for WLAC, well it is the West London Aero Club, so everything costs more, but at least it keeps the pikeys at bay.

PPS: Shouldn't we have this discussion on the Club's somnolent bulletin board?

PPPS: try the biltong as a beer snack: yummy.

eyeinthesky
22nd Jun 2004, 15:35
Quote:

whilst George was enjoying a slice of Lynn's hairy fish-pie.

Unquote

Sounds like the food is of minor importance....;):ooh:

eharding
22nd Jun 2004, 15:44
Mmmmm....Biltong...

...and I'm a big fan of the Waltham Big Breakfast as a stomach liner prior to a spot of aerobatics - the recently added
pinch of thyme on the mushrooms was a nice touch. If it
came down to a choice, I'd vote for the current situation of
plenty of food being available at the start of the day vs. the
end of the day - need the energy, you see.

FNG
22nd Jun 2004, 15:52
The so-called Eggs Benedict is, however, a let down: Poached egg with some cold ham and mayo. Not the real deal.

As for the hairy fish pie, in an attempt to keep us out of Jet Blast, I will observe that doubtless the reference was only to this:-

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/fluffymackpudding.html

Dan Dare
22nd Jun 2004, 19:49
BRING BACK CURLY FRIES AT ALL HOURSplease

Food is often no more than adequate. Prices at top "gastro-pub" rates. Yeah it doesn't cost as much as an hours flying, but it is more than anywhere else in the area.

Personally I would rather have a greasy-spoon experience available at all hours at greasy-spoon prices. Thats normally what I look for when I fly out for lunch (Kemble take note), but maybe these places don't me to take up space with my tight wad...

rogerpenney
22nd Jun 2004, 21:02
We spent the weekend there on 11th, 12th 13th June, we had our lunches from the club, cant remember what i payed for butties,but they were above your average for flying clubs, very nice, the tea and coffee was pricy but it is London isnt it? We up north, (Liverpool) would give our right arm to have a nice ga friendly field near to us, there is nothing within an hours flying time from where i live on wirral that comes anywhere near W.W. If the food is all you have to complain about your have no worries mate!! To find such a lovely hassle free club field so near london in this day and age is well worth protecting.
Thanks to all your staff and members for putting up with twenty odd aircraft invading your space. ps we had a nice run out for lunch on the sat to Sandown, weather was perfect, got some nice pics. of the neadles from 600 feet.

Ken Wells
23rd Jun 2004, 12:42
As a member of some 18 years at White Waltham I have seen most caterers come and go and I agree that the hours of operation are far from ideal. The biggest problem at the Contracted Catering at White Waltham is they cannot get staff to work the hours. In this day and age their turnover has been alot. ( any one need a job there just apply)

I agree that some prices are very steep my bug bear is the price of soft drinks , £1 for a pint of dispensed carbonated water (not bottled ) is a perfect example of RIPOFF britain but the food is very good if somewhat overpriced

I have read peoples comments on Flying Club v Local Pub, but the catering is not run by West London Aero Club as in days gone by, so you cannot compare the greasy spoon prices of some clubs run almost on a volutanary basis.

Kemble has a fantastic resturant club house and is modeled on those superior clubs one finds in France, were the catering is a resturant, White Waltham is the same, but the hours of operation are abit of joke and should be dealt with. Other wise people "members especially " will vote with their feet.
:ugh: :ouch:

Wide-Body
23rd Jun 2004, 19:21
Applycarbheat.

My facts are fully accurate. The catering co at Waltham have to pay a high price for the franchise (not the case in previous years) I look forward to a retraction of you statement. If you are in any doubt just look at the club/hanarage charges since RM returned.

On the catering subject, I maintain my original quote. The bar needs to be open longer. The quality and price of the Majority of items are acceptable. If you want a no atmosphere cheap greasy spoon, Blackbushe/Booker will provide that.

Regards

Wide

Wide-Body
24th Jun 2004, 06:22
Actually I did comment on the value points and have agreement of frozen chips. At least I have the ability to post without resorting to profanity. Quite happy for you to PM me as I am fully aware of the Concept catering agreements,or are you Waltham management in disguise.

Wide

Ken Wells
24th Jun 2004, 09:14
I think you two need to direct your anger at the White Waltham managemnt and not at each other, then maybe we can get the clubhouse situation sorted out.

This backchat will get us no where:ok: :{ :8 :confused: :

Marian
24th Jun 2004, 11:58
I'm a WLAC member too, but joined at about the same time as the new catering was introduced - hence can't make a comparison with the prior catering situation.

I think the food is very good at WLAC, and fairly priced for what it is. This, combined with a great surrounding and atmosphere makes WW a great lunchtime venue.

I would agree though, that it would be really good to have food available in the evening, even if it is of a more simple style such as burger & curly chips (scrummy!).

I also agree that this thread should be on the WLAC bulletin board, but there is a link posted there (which is how I arrived here).

FNG
24th Jun 2004, 12:59
The only anger is coming from Applycarbheat. Wide is being polite as he always is.

Phoenix09
24th Jun 2004, 15:30
I have just received this summers WLAC newsletter and I notice that the club will be serving food at weekends during the summer until 21.00.

Not perfect but definitely a step in the right direction.

Maybe if this is successful, and enough members take advantage of it, then it will be extended to weekday afternoons and evenings as well.

Warped Factor
24th Jun 2004, 18:45
I'm reasonably content as things stand with the catering, food is pretty good by flying club standards. It's a place you can be happy to take visitors to knowing that it's a pleasant setting and that the food will be as mentioned and in the grand scheme of things the prices I don't think are excessive.

If I could have one wish for the clubhouse it would be to make it a smoking free zone.....

WF.

Ken Wells
24th Jun 2004, 19:15
I agree with the no smoking but I'm afraid thast we'd be in the minority as most of the staff smoke

On the Spot
26th Jun 2004, 14:38
If as mentioned earlier a large franchise fee is payable by the caterers where is it going - It does not seem to have benefitted the members as flying and membership rates continue to rise.

Surely a service level agreement is required in order that the club derives the benefit and so that the catering does not simply develop on its own terms - I refer to an earlier remark about the clubhouse being closed for private functions Saturday or Sunday - that cannot be right - if it is a members club.

In fact what is the club business plan overall - continually growing membership ? Overhead reduction / increase ?

When / How do members get sight of these aspects ?

Yes this string should be on the WLAC site which at last is beginning to pick up !

DOC.400
26th Jun 2004, 16:31
"Perhaps you should talk to Sandra, she runs the catering concern. I have done so in the past and always had any problem solved. Funny old thing I normally tell her how good things are. Instead of trying an old bulletin board asassination try talking in person."

Same here -'If you don't like it tell us, if you do , tell your friends'.

Have you even mentioned this to Sandra?

I had a very nice veg stir fry last night, swilled down with a pint of Spitfire as the sun went down, my friend a shepherds pie that's quantities defeated him -so I finished it off......
delicious!!! :D :D

I quote from Sandra's bit in the latest WLAC Newsletter:

'We have received requests from club members to provide evening food, therefore we will be open for dinner Friday & Saturday evenings 18.30-21.00hrs...........I would like to say that please continue to feedback your thoughts, ideas, impressions (good and bad) to me, on what you think of the catering and anything that you would like to see us doing that we could introduce.'

Having been in the catering business myself and having run my own business for ten years, it really p*sses me off when people have to air their thoughts on a public forum instead of having the balls to comment or bring the item up with the person/people concerned.

I've been a WLAC member for ten years and this is by far and away the best it's been!!

If I could catch a hare in the 'plane, I've promised to present it ready sliced.....:)

Rgds
DOC

Duck Peeking
27th Jun 2004, 12:23
What a mess this interesting little thread has become......

(Bit like the catering at WW :D )

Anyway, for the record "APPLYCARBHEAT" is most certainly female and was married to a well known and longstanding member of the club who can be seen in there quite often

However I have to agree with "FALSE CAPTURE". The post in question that mentions "MRS APPLYCARBHEAT" doesn't quite make sense. I'm sure ACH will explain when she gets back

I do think it rather concerning that all to often contributors to these forums revert to peronal attacks on fellow posters.
If one takes the bait and follows suit, all you are doing is adding to the decline, as I'm sure you know.

Love and kisses
DP

DOC.400
5th Jul 2004, 21:35
Couldn't be bothered??? -ever thought to find out why? Due lack of support from the likes of you!!

DOC

False Capture
6th Jul 2004, 00:06
Someone's removed my post!!:mad:

DOC.400
6th Jul 2004, 07:00
Too right!!

DOC

BRL
6th Jul 2004, 09:11
I spent about half-an-hour last night sorting through some of the crap that was posted here. Your post was deleted because the post it made reference to had been deleted so it looked a bit odd. Disagree? PM and tell me all about it......

Peeking Duck
6th Jul 2004, 10:01
Glad to see that the offensive stuff is removed.

I think the subject got lost in all the squabbling; there is a committee meeting to night at WW; I will make sure the topic, that started quite innocently is discussed

Monocock
6th Jul 2004, 11:43
Peeking

If it's of any help for tonight, I would like to vote a jolly big :ok: to the catering at White Waltham.

I am a great believer that those at the top of their tree are the first to have stones thrown at them and I can't help feeling that is what's happening here.