PDA

View Full Version : All you instructors out there

Night Rider
31st Dec 2000, 19:35
I would be interested to know how much demand there would be from the instructing community for an organisation (including a website) dedicated to flying instructors.

I have always been of the opinion that organisations such as BALPA are really intended for Airline Pilots even though in theory any professional pilot can join.

I think an association designed specifically for instructors would be a massive advantage to us all and would bring many benefits.

Thankyou for your time and input.

------------------
Kit

MorePower
31st Dec 2000, 20:49
I would certainly be interested! As you have quite correctly pointed out, organisations like BALPA (British Airways Pilots Association!) are completely uninterested in Instructors (other than for membership fees!) I personnally contacted them to ask for advice on no fewer than 3 occassions, for info regarding unfair treatment at work, non-payment of minimum wage etc. They were quite happy to take my details, but they were never followed up, nor was I ever contacted despite my persistance! From my experience, organisations like BALPA are only interested in Airline Pilots. BALPA are however useful for loss of licence/medical insurance etc.

I believe that Union representation for Instructors has to be a good thing in terms of negotiating pay and conditions, and also improving safety. Incidentally, how many of you instructors (non career) actually have a contract? I have never had one until I recently accepted a post with a large proffessional training organisation.

Perhaps you should contact WWW, I believe he is very keen to offer advice as regards flying Instructor Unions. I`ll certainly become a member if it happens!!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
31st Dec 2000, 20:53
I studied industrial relations and employment law at University. I can get the ball rolling but I am a wee bit busy for the next 6 months!

I can certainly point people in the right direction though and give advice for someone willing to pursue this.

I believe it would be feasible.

Night Rider
31st Dec 2000, 21:33
www & More Power

Thankyou for the replies.

I am going to be busy myself for the next month at least but will keep you advised of any more movement towards creating a flying instructors association.

I have many ideas for this project and have a friend who would help me set up a website.

Happy new year chaps,
Safe flying

------------------
Kit

juswonnafly
31st Dec 2000, 23:03
I'm in !!

JWF http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

chicken6
2nd Jan 2001, 13:41
You mean something like NAFI (USA), or RNZAC Instructor's Council (New Zealand), or I'm sure Oz would have their own equivalent...England must do, surely...

A worldwide one? That would be useful, not just for legal advice but also "How-to" information, what to look for when teaching__________, that kind of thing. Standardising and assessing, philosophy differences and why around the world etc. Sounds like a great idea.

On rereading, are you only talking about an English/British one?

Night Rider
2nd Jan 2001, 17:20
chicken6 - thanks for the reply.

My intention was to keep the association for British FI`s only in order to keep it on a smallish scale. I think a world wide association would be advantageous to a certain degree but with tens of thousands of members may be difficult to organise from an administrative point of view. I`m not sure how many FI`s there are in the UK but I would estimate probably 2000 or so.

A worldwide association would really need to be managed by a person(s) on a full time basis.

------------------
Kit

Sleeve Wing
3rd Jan 2001, 00:02
Like your idea, Night Rider.
As has been suggested, using BALPA would be a mistake. Its strength is amongst the Airline fraternity although an affiliation would have its uses.

If it helps, I still have a Membership Card for a Professional Flight Instructors Association.
This Association was created formally by Capt.Dave Lowe, amongst others, at Oxford Air Training School in the early seventies as it was also considered,then,that BALPA's
contribution to professional instructors would be limited.

Perhaps we could find out whether the PFIA still exists ?
Did it grow outside OATS ?
If it ceased to function, can it easily be resurrected ?
If it can be , can we use its title and would its Articles of Association still apply.
And PLEASE NOTE, it was an Association NOT a Union.

Keep in touch. Sleeve.

Night Rider
3rd Jan 2001, 22:07
Thanks for the info Sleeve.

I`d never heard of the association quoted in your reply. I intend to post a separate topic on the instructors forum to get more information. I also intend to phone one or two friends I have who teach at O.A.T.S. to see what they know.

Thanks again

------------------
Kit