PDA

View Full Version : radio problems?

20th Jun 2004, 11:35
Like many others here, I have a David Clark headset (DC10-13.4) and i've been very pleased with it (the cool-looking bose-X could tempt me if it wasn't so expensive, but that's for another thread).
The DC has been faultless ... until now :(

Yesterday I was off flying again, but I was getting a screetch of interference when I made radio calls (tower couldn't hear the screetch, but I was only readability two so things weren't right - I couldn't even hear my own call). I unplugged from the intercom and connected the headset straight into the Icom (A22) and the problem was still there, but not as bad (readability three now). Still, not good, so swapped for another headset (Peltor, which I hate but keep as a spare for passengers :O), this was still a bit dodgy with the intercom (3s from the now fed-up tower) but alright with the Icom (4s) so off i flew.

So, what's wrong? Intercom, Radio or Headset? The combination has been fine up until now, but as direct into the Icom works better than via the intercom, is the intercom knackered? Or, as the Peltor works better than the DC, is the headset knackered? Or, as none of it works as well as it did on Tuesday, is the radio going wrong? Very :confused: so any suggestions? Places that can fix whatever is wrong?

Finally, as a bit of an aside, you always hear people saying that DC headsets have compatibility problems - i've never understood what that means. Could this be my problem? Is compatibility a problem when talking to other passengers with different headsets, or is it a problem with a DC headset and an intercom? Can you get it with 1 headset plugged into the radio via an intercom?

Questions, questions...! Any suggestions welcome, because I can't understnad it!

Thanks, Will.

High Wing Drifter
20th Jun 2004, 11:48
I have had exactly (and I mean exactly!) the same thing with my DC 13.4s. However, I immediately switched to COMM2 where, unlike you, the noise didn't happen and back to COMM1 where it did. So it definately was not the headsets in my case. The problem went away after an hour. That was 26 flying hrs ago an not a problem since.

At the time I just ignored it as London Inf were obviously not have a problem hearing with a radio check of readability 5.

The radio is a KX175.

Skylark4
20th Jun 2004, 19:32
Check all, and I mean ALL, your connections in the Mic/Tel circuit. This sounds awfully like an earth connection not good and the Mic earthing through the 'phones. If there has been any work on the system, check for earth/live swaps. Clean all the contacts on your headsets and in the sockets.

Mike W