View Full Version : What.Buy a Headset?!

DeltaT
19th May 2001, 20:54
I'm just about to start instructing, and have just found out I am expected to buy another headset for trialflight lessons and new students to use that I teach.
Is this the norm?
Its bad enough with the crap pay, and forking out for maps and sundry stuff, but £100 for a headset!?? arrrrgh

Gerund
19th May 2001, 21:37
Outrageous! No, this is not the norm.

But, if you have a job offer and buying another headset goes with it .........

If you end up buying another headset, make sure you NEVER lend your headsets to anyone else at the school. Quid pro quo.

Luke SkyToddler
19th May 2001, 23:27
No way! That is totally not the norm. Even the cheapest, nastiest, car boot, one clapped out tomahawk, fly-by-night operators that I'm aware of, provide headsets of some description. Normally they're pretty cheap and nasty ones, and instructors who value their long term hearing will buy their own Dave Clarks - but I've never heard of any place that expects their staff to buy headsets for their students to use. I'd tell 'em where to stick it if I was you ...

Tinstaafl
20th May 2001, 17:46
Very politely tell your prospective employer to "@#$%^^& off!"

fallen eagle
22nd May 2001, 11:37
Hi I agree with most of the aforesaid yes they should provide,but at the end of the day you want comfort and above all reliable communication between you and your student.Not to mention the comfort of your student and any friends you might take flying.I bit the bullet after about 10 years of hand mics oh joy my d/clarkes have done 15 years no probs, Its up to you at the end of the day bye for now

muppet
24th May 2001, 23:39
I agree, outrageous.

I work for what might be considered a well established school. Here the headsets are a plenty, but they are all knackered.
After about 700hrs of instructing I did go out and buy my own pair as at my medical renewal hearing loss was discovered. The noise level in a C150/PA38 is way above any health and safety regulations.
If I was starting again, easy to say now, but I would buy active noise cancelling from the start. Tried some the other day, they really are great.
Finally, it is impossible to instruct effectively if you cannot communicate. Wait and see how you feel after 7 hrs of noise.

Tinstaafl
25th May 2001, 05:08
It's not "impossible". But it's certainly not easy! :)

Up to my CPL training was all done sans headsets - including controlled airpace flights.

My first instructing job was also without headsets. You do things such as configure the a/c for a lower power/lower noise before talking, brief adequately before flying (instead of using the flight time to brief), use single words or VERY short phrases instead of long(ish) sentences to pass information or instructions etc etc...

cheers

T

----------
WHAT?? SAY AGAIN!!

DeltaT
25th May 2001, 12:38
Thanks for all your replies.
Just to clarify, I have my own headset, its one for students they expect me to get.
Perhaps its me, the other instructors accepted it, guess there is no other choice.

Say again s l o w l y
28th May 2001, 02:00
Some school's do seem to try this trick. If there are no headsets about, you'll have to buy one, but what happens when you take Mr/Mrs trial lesson flying and they want to take a passenger?! Believe me it does look bad when you have to go scratching around for another pair.

Explain this to them and see what they say if the answer is "buy 2 headsets then" look for another place, 'cos if they moan about £100 what state do you reckon the a/c are in?

Tinstaafl
28th May 2001, 04:44
If the manager of the school has brains he/she can use headsets as another profit device by renting or selling them to students eg "We have headsets available for hire/sale. First flight free." etc

Sales of more expensive (& more profitable) headsets can even be encouraged by providing the cheapest & nastiest type for free use & then offering the opportunity for 'try before you buy' of better quality types.

As long as the price markup is reasonable, convenience can often make up for not being the cheapest seller in the country.

Alternatively they can be used as a loss leader marketing tool for the flying lessons eg "Free headset with the completion of xxxyyy course" devices etc.

The cost is minimal since they are business equipment and can be claimed on tax &/or amortised over time.

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 28 May 2001).]

Final 3 Greens
31st May 2001, 19:18
Delta T

If you do decide to get another headset, could you ask the club to offset it against your earnings - at COST price, less carriage as no doubt they consolidate their orders?

This may save you a few quid, although DC's don't have a lot of mark up on them.