View Full Version : Single engine IFR?

Crossunder
14th May 2001, 10:39
We need a single engine aeroplane to operate IFR, including icing conditions.
Anyone out there with experience in this? What should we buy? C210 / Malibu etc?
Would a turbine powered aeroplane be more expensive to operate?

Thanks.

Tinstaafl
14th May 2001, 17:42
Need more information along the lines of:

What sort of operation
What loads - pax. numbers, cargo
What sort of airstrips
What level of performance do you want
Are you planning on making it available for commercial operations (considering that some countries allow single engine, IFR charter/air taxi).

and the biggie:

How much do you want / are prepared to spend on capital outlay & subsequent running costs?

Crossunder
14th May 2001, 21:18
* It's to be used for instructional flights
at a flying school
* no charter etc
* minimum 3 persons including pilots
* minimum 5hr endurance
* runways to be used are all longer than
1800m and paved
* able to obtain a climb gradient of 8-9% up
to 5-6000'
* Service ceiling of at least 13000'
* Turbine or piston
* Costs will be evaluated in each case (but
above 100,000 pounds isn't very likely)

Uh, that's all I can think of for now...

IFollowRoads
17th May 2001, 00:21
ummm. not totally sure, but I don't think the UK CAA have approved *any* piston singles for flight into known icing (and even less for Public Transport)

The 100k limit is probably going to preclude a turbine too.. :-(

Genghis the Engineer
20th May 2001, 21:18
Single engine IFR is prohibited pretty much anywhere except for OZ and CA for public transport. But certainly the UK/US regard instructing as a separate case, and do permit it.

Sounds to me like you're specifying something like a big-engined Cherokee variant with the outboard tanks option, and ideally anti-icing. A Lance or Saratoga perhaps? Likely to cost you around £70-90k. I believe that anti-icing kits are available for these.

You'd have to be flying silly (500+ pa) hours in an airframe to justify turbine costs, and I certainly doubt you'd get anything with a turbine for under £100k.

G

Tinstaafl
21st May 2001, 02:38
What about C210, C182RG or an A36 Bonanza.

Luftwaffle
23rd May 2001, 01:56
Single engine IFR public transport? Only aircraft I know for that job is the Pilatus.

Jim lovell
23rd May 2001, 13:22
no singe engined piston a/c is approved for flying in known icing conditions in Australia. The 210/182RG- absolutely NOT.

Tinstaafl
23rd May 2001, 17:45
Jim, Crossunder clarified in his/her second post that the aircraft wasn't to be used for public transport.

That being the case, S/e piston aircraft ARE appropriate to the specified operation.

There are STC'd iceing kits available. I seem to recall P210s having them, some Mooneys & some Bonanzas. All a bit hazy though, so my error rate could be a bit high!

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 23 May 2001).]