PDA

View Full Version : Best "Rule's of Thumb"

Echo Zulu Yankee
18th Jun 2004, 13:09
Hello!

I was just wondering what Ppruner's views were on their favorite/best/most used rule of thumb while tootling around the skies?

Obviously this differs from kite to kite but Im sure we can all learn something from each other! (In aviation its always better to learn from others mistakes, because by the time you make it yourself you may not have enough time left to learn from it!)

Blue side up!

EzY

FNG
18th Jun 2004, 13:16
Surely you mean blue side down?

Best rule of thumb? The six-minute thumb (mentioned on another thread recently by High Wing Drifter). The top joint of an average thumb is approx 10 NM on a half mil chart. Great for diversions, estimates and so forth. Fiddle around a bit with the timings if going much faster or slower than 100 knots.

Easiest no-brainer system for regaining track (again assuming 100 knots-ish cruise): for every mile off track fly 40 degrees off heading for one minute. Also useful for avoiding showers, danger areas etc. Try 30 degrees if going at 125.

rustle
18th Jun 2004, 13:22
Why has every aeroplane suddenly become a "kite"?

Happened over the last 4-5 days.

Most annoying, please desist.

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Jun 2004, 13:49
Rule no. 1:

Don't hit anybody!

FD

Big Hilly
18th Jun 2004, 13:58
Rule no. 2:

If you do, make sure they're smaller than you. . . .

BH

TD&H
18th Jun 2004, 14:00
Flyin' Dutch but of course you can hit someone. Afterall the 'rule of thumb' was the rule stating that a man could beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. So go find that stick and next time Mrs Dutch is beside you hit away!!!

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Jun 2004, 14:02
TD&H,

YOu're a braver man than me!

So go find that stick and next time Mrs Dutch is beside you hit away!!!

You obviously don't know Mrs FD!

FD

Echo Zulu Yankee
18th Jun 2004, 14:02
Rustle,

Sorry if I offended you, I wasnt aware of anyone else over-using the term recently and I do sincerely hope that I didnt imply that there was anything light hearted or "fun" about these tubes of metal we fly round the skies.

Im afraid I must put it down to that biggles book everyone laughed at me for reading in the briefing room the other day!

Please read "Aircraft" where "Kite" was previously used.

EzY

FNG
18th Jun 2004, 14:11
What, pray, is wrong with "Kite"? Or "crate", for that matter? The only forbidden word is "Plane". I say this as the proud possessor of several Biggles first edition hardbacks (published, bizarrely enough, by OUP).

Echo Zulu Yankee
18th Jun 2004, 14:27
FNG,

I would suggest that perhaps Rustle (I see he is a CPL/IR with a job in IT) prefers the button pushing image of flying rather than the good 'ol down to eath flying by the seat of your pants in something that hangs together with wood and wires. Which is absolutely fine, Flying should be enjoyed by all with an interest in aviation and each to their own style.

Incidently I beleive that the terms "Crate" and "Kite" came back from the WW1 trenches when soldiers used to comment that the wood, line and fabric construction of the aircraft of those days used to look somewhat like a box kite with an engine and guns!

I have no quarrel with Rustle and am here to make friends, not enemies. As I said...each to their own!

EzY (Unfortunately my "Kite" has buttons and LCD displays!)

FNG
18th Jun 2004, 14:37
No, no, EZY, Rustle is a good bloke and down to earth aviator (something about that phrase sounds a bit odd), who also did a huge amount to improve the online NOTAM system. He was just winding you up a bit.

Echo Zulu Yankee
18th Jun 2004, 14:41
FNG,

I Don't doubt it for a second! 90% of Ppruners are a credit to the industry! And I hope in the future I can, too, make a worthwhile contribution to the community.

EzY

High Wing Drifter
18th Jun 2004, 15:05
The only forbidden word is "Plane".
Whyz that then?

treadigraph
18th Jun 2004, 15:22
Because it's a thing for having close shaves with... er...

Big Hilly
18th Jun 2004, 15:53
I think that the most important rule of thumb is one of the oldest, which is simply:

“It is better to be on the ground wishing you were up in the air, than up in the air wishing you were on the ground”

BH

18th Jun 2004, 15:57
1 line TAF - go flying :D
2 line TAF - have a cup of tea while you wait :hmm:
3 line TAF - have a beer :\

Keef
19th Jun 2004, 01:00
There's one I can't quite remember about not worrying about the sky cos nobody was ever killed hitting that, but that lack of caution may result in the ground rising up to smite thee.

I have a kite - it lives in the garage, in a crate. There's also a plane in there. And all sorts of other things.

The aeroplane lives 5 miles away at the airport.

ROB-x38
19th Jun 2004, 04:48
Half your x-wind is the drift angle with 120 kt TAS. Fudge as required for faster / slower speeds.

Only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

3 most useless things in aviation:
- altitude above you
- runway behind you
- fuel you left in the bowser.

TonyR
19th Jun 2004, 07:20
(1) Know your aeroplane well, and its limits (go and find someone who does, and fly with them until you do), ie. Stall, Spin, Short field, X wind etc.

Spend a lot of time sitting in your aircraft on the ground until you know where everything is blindfold.

(2) Know and understand your "OWN" limits.

If you keep both rules you stay alive.

Tony

PS. Don't listen to as..oles who tell you about going "first" solo in 20 knots X wind and landing 150s in 35 knots accross.

Whirlybird
19th Jun 2004, 17:33
There's one I can't quite remember about not worrying about the sky cos nobody was ever killed hitting that,

If in doubt, keep your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

For nav, With 80-90kt aircraft...

Wind at right angles to track, drift is 3/4 windspeed. Wind at 45 degrees to track, drift is half windspeed.

Wind on the nose, groundspeed equals airspeed minus total windspeed.
Wind behind you, groundspeed equals airspeed plus total windspeed.
Wind at right angles to track, groundspeed equals airspeed.
Wind at 45 degrees to track, groundspeed equals airspeed plus/minus half windspeed.

I learned this for my PPL, and I'm always amazed at how many people don't know it.

whatunion
20th Jun 2004, 10:06
best rule of thumb in flying is, always fly higher then the mountain ahead of you in cloud. more apt to call it a rule of bum.

englishal
20th Jun 2004, 10:51
Altitude = Insurance

Fly as high as possible
:D