PDA

View Full Version : Useful, or useless

Kolibear
18th Jun 2004, 10:56
Following on from TonyR's 'Can't fly without them' thread, what the most embarrasingly useless thing you've ever bought and what item is the most useful?

My most useless purchase was my first kneeboard. (£15) I strapped it to my left thigh, it was supposed to open to the left but the cockpit structure prevented it. The PLOG was on the left side too. I ended up ditching it and adapting a hardboard clip board (£2)

Most useful purchase were a pair of headset tidies. They consist of a block of rubber with two holes in it and a strap which ties round the leads. The connectors go in the two holes which stops them tarnishing, the leads wrap round the headset & a clip on the back of the rubber block holds them in place. They cost about £5

High Wing Drifter
18th Jun 2004, 11:29
The best and simplest peice of kit I have is my square protractor. Although the essential items would occupy a small list.

The most useless? The cockpit bag I got for free with a set of Avcomm headsets.

Aussie Andy
18th Jun 2004, 11:29
Nice idea for a thread!

I still don't know why, but I sent off for one of those slid-rule style take-off distance calculators I saw in a catalogue a while back... looked at it when I got it, found it useless and confusing, and have never looked at it again since!I strapped it to my left thighWhy didn't you strap it to your right thigh then!?

Best thing I have bought? I think it must be Navbox QuickPlan software... let's me do "what if" flight plans real-quick, and lets me day-dream about possible future trips in idle moments at work...

Andy :uhoh:

ACW 335
18th Jun 2004, 15:32
My kneeboard (£8) was the most useles..... I never use it! I can't get full control deflection with it on so its a bit pants really (its a really nice one, just useless!)

Most useful piece of kit is my headset - i love it!

TonyR
18th Jun 2004, 15:56
I also bought a slide-rule style take-off distance calculator, totally useless.

I too bought the Navbox QuickPlan software £18, brilliant.

I bought a "shirt pocket size wizz wheel" in the US.

Avcomm AC454 head set, (better than my old DC)

Aussie Andy
18th Jun 2004, 16:18
So what do you use if you don't have a kneeboard?

High Wing Drifter
18th Jun 2004, 16:20
Avcomm AC454 head set, (better than my old DC)
Heavens above no! The passengers get the Avcomm :D

Spikeee
18th Jun 2004, 16:27
I did spend £40 on a compass last week.

Everyone says its a waste of money but when they're lost THEY WILL BE EATING THEIR WORDS!

:)

and it is very shiny!

Spike

TonyR
18th Jun 2004, 16:38

An A4 clip board £1.99, unless your flying a Pitts or similar, then a small note book.

Aussie Andy
18th Jun 2004, 17:31
An A4 clip board ...Maybe I'm pathetic, but I like having all the plastic sleeves within the kneeboard so I can put my Bottlang plates in these ready for when needed... of course, I could just clip them to a clip-board now you mention it ;)

Andy

Fly Stimulator
18th Jun 2004, 17:35
I did spend £40 on a compass last week.
I bought an aeroplane and got a compass with it for no extra cost! ;)

Aim Far
18th Jun 2004, 18:16
Most useless - VFR flight log pad from Transair

And that was the most useless item even before I bought the most useful - Garmin 196.

Of course, the airplane comes in pretty handy too...

Chilli Monster
18th Jun 2004, 18:21
Post-it notes. One note per trip - brilliant :D

Best purchase I ever made.

loftustb
18th Jun 2004, 18:54
Most useless?

"Hold Entry" calculator £8.95

Digital stopwatch that beeps and flashes and does everything except simply 'stop' and 'start' £19.99

Send Clowns
18th Jun 2004, 19:52
Andy - tape some A4 or A5 clear pockets (for ringbinders) to the back. I used a similar system for my IR training, worked a treat.

Rallye Driver
18th Jun 2004, 20:33
This reminds of the millions of dolllars the Yanks spent developing a ball point pen that would work in weightless conditions on their spacecraft.

The Russians pondered the same problem, and decided a humble pencil would do the job just as well!

Useless items - I weighed my flight bag a couple of years ago, it was 14 lbs! Full of the stuff I never use anymore. (Flying helmet and parachute are in separate bags, and see different thread about flying suits!)

Most useful item - my credit card (and it must weigh less than an ounce).

RD :ok:

trevelyan
18th Jun 2004, 22:36
most useless thing to date is he "cockpit bag" from transair that I got ages ago as a freebie. I just bought a Garmin GPS and they sent me another "cockpit bag" free with that.

If co`s like transair are sending out freebies, at least they could give us a choice!

Doh!

;)

Keef
19th Jun 2004, 01:12
Useful - IFR Flight File - sort of ring binder for approach plates etc. About $5.

Useless - holding pattern computer.

Aussie Andy
19th Jun 2004, 08:36
Useless - holding pattern computera few people have said this... is it because you find you don't have to enter holds very often, or just that its not so hard as to require an aid such as this?

Andy (booked to start IMC in Sep)

Chilli Monster
19th Jun 2004, 08:53
is it because you find you don't have to enter holds very often, or just that its not so hard as to require an aid such as this
1) The hold is printed on the approach plate, you know your heading, from that you know how to join.

2) When you're being bounced around in IMC the important thing is to fly the aeroplane - not a :mad: e around with a silly bit of plastic.

Never owned one - never will!

High Wing Drifter
19th Jun 2004, 11:05
Andy,

Follow a few simple rules and holds fairly straight forward. NDBs? Well they're another matter!

High Wing Drifter
19th Jun 2004, 19:16
Just bought two new child size Avcomms for my first trip with the family on board. Both came with cockpit bags which have gone down a storm with the kids! From zero to hero (don't you just hate that phrase?) :ok:

whatunion
20th Jun 2004, 10:13
most useles thing was my southern area chart to fly from dublin to leeds. interesting flight.

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
20th Jun 2004, 19:25
Sorry to break the mold but most usefull was the cockpit bag. Got a nice big one that just fits behind the seat on a PA28 and holds my sarnies as well. Keeps the left hand seat clear.

Most useless....... Working hard to buy some more useless c:mad: p!

Glad to hear the 196 is good though as that is the next buy.