View Full Version : Certificate of revalidation

PA38
25th Feb 2001, 01:54
My current certificate expires next month, and I have booked a test.
I want to know if I can't get it done before my current certificate expires, I will have to take a skills test.
What is the diff'nce between a proficiency check and a skill test?
I don't have the magic 12 hours http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by PA38 (edited 24 February 2001).]

TooHotToFly
25th Feb 2001, 02:17
The difference between an LPC and a Skill test is that an LPC doesn't contain the navigation section. However, you don't have to sit a skill test just because your C of E expires - you have up to 5 years before you need to do a skill test.

BEagle
25th Feb 2001, 12:42
TooHotToFly - No! The SEP Revalidation Proficiency Check and PPL Skill Test are entirely different. Although JARs require a SEP Class Rating 'Renewal Skill Test' if a pilot doesn't meet revalidation rerquirements, in the UK this may be done by the same SEP Revalidation Proficiency Check (so long as you're not more than 5 years lapsed)! The only real difference is that if you manage to do your Revalidation Proficiency Check in the last 3 months before the date in your FCL150CJAR, your SEP Class Rating will be remain valid for a further 2 years from that date, NOT the date of the Proficiency Check. However, if you don't manage to do your check in time, then you may not exercise the privileges of your rating until you have satisfactorily completed your check - and your FCL150CJAR will show the next revalidation date as being 2 years from the date of the check. In either case the same Form LPC SPA will be used.

For SEP Class Rating revalidations or (<5 year) renewals, there are NO navigation requirements; neither are there any Skill Test navigation requirements for someone wishing, for example, to add a SEP Class Rating to an existing JAR-FCL licence which has some other Rating.

The SEP Revalidation Proficiency Check is very straightforward: Steep turns, a couple of stalls, an off-aerodrome PFL, a couple of circuits including a go-around and an EFATO. Best of luck!!

PA38
25th Feb 2001, 19:43
BEagle yes you are right, I did the check today and it included all the things as per your post......and yes I passed......
Thanks for your post

PA38

BEagle
25th Feb 2001, 20:13
WELL DONE!! Lovely day for a check-ride as well!!

TooHotToFly
26th Feb 2001, 16:14
BEagle - So what's in the Skill test that isn't in the SEP Revalidation Proficiency Check except the en-route section?

BEagle
26th Feb 2001, 22:12
TooHotToFly - do you mean the PPL Skill Test or the Single Engine (Piston) Land Class Rating Skill Test?

PPL Skill Test - includes the en-route section and slightly more General Handling than SEP (Land) Class Rating Skill Test. Form FCL 684 would be used for the PPL Skill Test. The SEP (Land) Class Rating requires certain items to be covered during training, others are also covered in the test itself; form LST SPA is used. The SEP (Land) Class Rating would be appropriate if you were adding it to a PPL with TMG rating, for example.

The SEP (Land) Class Rating is either revalidated by completion of the appropriate requirements (which might include a Revalidation Proficiency Check), or, if lapsed by less than 5 years, renewed by completing a Renewal Proficiency Check - the contents of both checks are identical. If lapsed by more than 5 years, the CAA may specify additional training as well as the Renewal Proficiency Check. In all cases, form LPC SPA would be used.

TooHotToFly
27th Feb 2001, 02:53
I gotcha - cheers.