PDA

View Full Version : Dire writing standards in GA magazines

FNG
17th Jun 2004, 09:01
Is there, in fact, just one bloke who writes all of the aircraft reviews in the GA rags? I picture him as a wearer of knobbly cardigans, and a smoker of pipes. His purple prose is illuminated by passages such as these, found in every review, of every aeroplane, in every magazine:-

"climbed like a homesick angel"

"I chopped the throttle and let the speed bleed off"

"push forward and the cows get bigger"

"floated over the numbers"

and, of course, the classic "trickle of power"

May I be permitted to say ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH?

Kolibear
17th Jun 2004, 09:19
Wasn't it Adolf Galland who coined the phrase 'climbed like a home-sick angel' when referring to the Me 262?

Perhaps we could have a competition for the best spoof review which must contain as many cliches as possible.

'I chopped the throttle and the number of cows got bigger' :uhoh:

FNG
17th Jun 2004, 09:41
Galland may well have said that of a swept wing super fast Ur-jet . Nowadays bloke in cardigan says it of some wheezy spamcan. What shall we offer as a prize for the contest? A homesick cow?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Jun 2004, 11:07
FNG

The mags are always on the lookout for well-written copy and new writing talent. If you think you can do it better than 'that bloke in the knobbly cardy' then put pen to paper. Or finger to keyboard.

SSD

FNG
17th Jun 2004, 11:13
OK, would someone please commission me to write a review of a Mark IX Spitfire. Oh alright then, I'm not fussy, I'll settle for a tailwheel Yak 42.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Jun 2004, 11:30
Na, FNG. If that was on offer, I'd be there first:)

The way it works (at least in my experience) is that you find yourself a ride in a Spit or a Yak, then you write it up and see if an editor wants to publish it. If it is well written, with good photos, the editor will buy. If it's a very interesting piece but not well written, the editor will edit it (maybe he smokes a pipe and wears a knobbly cardy?? ;) ).

If you owned a 2-seat Spit or tailwheel Yak would you give someone a free ride just so they could write up a mag article? If you do own such a machine, and you would like to see a write-up in one of the mags, PM me. I promise a cliche-free article :ok:

SSD

Boing_737
17th Jun 2004, 12:04
FNG, I agree with your sentiments. Especially the cardy wearing pipe smoker, possibly with sandals with white socks to finish the ensemble.

The other thing that I find incredibly annoying is when theres a review for an aircraft, and lo and behold, there it is in the classified ads in the back:mad:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Jun 2004, 12:21
Boing_737, I think that happens because owners of unusual aeroplanes have no motivation to offer them to mag reviewers unless they wish to sell the aeroplane. If the reviewer is fair in their assessment, that shouldn't matter.

The same situation applies with the more usual source of flight test subjects; a dealer or agent for a current type offering it to a mag for flight test. The object here is to get the type onto the radar of the readers, some of whom may be potential purchasers of that type.

Same thing really; publicity.

SSD

stiknruda
17th Jun 2004, 12:32
Boeing - having just sold an aircraft, I've agreed to write an article for one of the mags!

I'll have FNG sanity, cliche and apostrophe check it first!

Stik

BeauMan
17th Jun 2004, 13:07
SSD - just out of interest, how does one go about offering a write up to the magazines? Are they receptive to cold calling? I ask, as I recently passed my Skills Test and got some good feedback from people on here and FlyPast who'd read it, some of who said they'd found it a useful read prior to taking their own ST. As I also plan to do my tailwheel rating later ths summer and have a habit of doing write-ups anyway, I'm just wondering whether my ramblings may be of interest to anyone?

BeauMan

Whirlybird
17th Jun 2004, 13:13
Beauman,

Both Flyer and Pilot have info for writers; it's probably on their respective websites. Today's Pilot may do too; I just haven't written for them so I don't know. That'll give you an idea of what they want, length etc. You can either just send something to them (enclose SAE if you want it back), or phone first - I've usually found them pretty receptive to phone calls.

Boing_737
17th Jun 2004, 13:37
Actually, thinking about it, its not annoying, its just jealousy in that I can't afford a "homesick angel". I'll just keep renting a coughing and wheezing spamcans

BlueRobin
17th Jun 2004, 13:45
I hope that
My writing style in FLYER
Is not dire

pinkstar
17th Jun 2004, 13:53
NICE RYHMES BLUEROBIN

TEEHEE

PINK **STAR**

Sans Anoraque
17th Jun 2004, 14:41
SSD's right - if you think you can do better, write an article and send it in. I sent one 'cold' to all 3 mags and had it published in 'Flyer'. I found Nick Wall very helpful in explaining the tweaking he needed in order to publish (without resort to laywers) and I earned enough to buy a decent GPS. (Although I've since spent it on booze).

Looking forward to seeing your article...:rolleyes:

High Wing Drifter
17th Jun 2004, 14:42
The other thing that I find incredibly annoying is when theres a review for an aircraft, and lo and behold, there it is in the classified ads in the back
Yeah. The most blatant one I noticed was that Ningchingchang thing reveiwed and then advertised.

Nice plane though.

TonyR
17th Jun 2004, 15:18
I feel another new GA mag comming on, what do you say Ed (FNG)?

FNG
17th Jun 2004, 15:22
Perish the thought. Three is perhaps too many as it is (not counting the various safety mags, Popular Flying etc).

rustle
17th Jun 2004, 15:22
"Today's Flyer"? :O

FNG
17th Jun 2004, 15:27
"Unpopular Flying" (editor: whatunion)

TonyR
17th Jun 2004, 15:28
Just looking at July Flyer and Pilot, both have the Cirrus G2 on the cover. I think the turbine Yak 18 has appeared in both recently.

I usually read it first in Flying (USA) or AOPA pilot.

I must get some treatment as I still buy the bloody things anyway.

Tony

SQUAWKIDENT
17th Jun 2004, 15:34
FNG you could become the Jeremy Clarkson of the GA world.

Go for it!

FNG
17th Jun 2004, 15:37
Well, I am a bit portly, and certainly quite annoying, but I don't have sufficiently tight jeans.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Jun 2004, 15:55
SSD - just out of interest, how does one go about offering a write up to the magazines? Are they receptive to cold calling? I ask, as I recently passed my Skills Test and got some good feedback from people on here and FlyPast who'd read it, some of who said they'd found it a useful read prior to taking their own ST. As I also plan to do my tailwheel rating later ths summer and have a habit of doing write-ups anyway, I'm just wondering whether my ramblings may be of interest to anyone?

I can only relate how it worked for me. I started to write a piece for the club magazine, and by the time I'd finished it it was a full-length article. I wondered if it would be of interest to 'Pilot', so I sent it to James Gilbert (the then owner/editor). I got a cheque by return post:ok:

After that I'd usually phone or write to the mag if I had an idea for a piece, and James would usually say 'write it up and we'll have a look'. I'd only propose articles which I thought would get published (if they did one on the 'Acme wonderplane' 6 months ago, they won't want another for quite a while). Sometimes I'd write something up because I knew it would be of interest, and send it cold.

If you can write, and you have something interesting to relate, give it a go.

SSD

TonyR
17th Jun 2004, 16:01
I can rite I just cant spel, and then I would git sh.t from FNG

ACW 335
17th Jun 2004, 16:23
i got a subscription to a GA mag for xmas, the pictures are sometimes good but the articles just don't grab my attention at all. So much that i don't really read them...

FNG, stick your jeans into wash on the hottest setting, that should sort them out!
If your going to be the JC of aviation, does that mean you will be starting a TV show...? 'Full Throttle' perhaps?!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Jun 2004, 17:02
There used to be a TV aviation show a couple of years back; 'The Airshow'. Pretty good, too. But I suspect that because flying aeroplanes for fun is a tiny minority interest, we will never see the aviation equivalent of 'Top Gear'.:(

There are probably more motorbike enthusiasts than pilots, but there's no 'Top Gear' for them, either - or even any bike coverage on 'Top Gear' itself (though the two non-Clarkson presenters are keen bikers - and Clarkson is violently anti-bike).

SSD

Fly Stimulator
17th Jun 2004, 17:07
You never know - The Discovery Wings channel looks as if it's in dire need of new material!

MLS-12D
17th Jun 2004, 17:19
I have no experience with popular magazines, but I was the editor of a law journal for a couple of years. Based upon that semi-related experience, I suspect that editors of most aviation magazines would be thrilled to receive quality submissions.

Publishing according to a regular timetable (one a month, once a quarter, etc.) requires that a magazine fill X number of pages ... if they can do so with good, fresh writing rather than the mediocre, so-much-per-word work of a tired hack, they'd prefer to do so.

There are any number of boooks available to guide budding magazine scribes: see e.g. here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0028638352/qid=1087492598/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-0498152-8455968?v=glance&s=books), here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/076891079X/qid=1087492598/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-0498152-8455968?v=glance&s=books) and here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0966269616/qid=1087492598/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-0498152-8455968?v=glance&s=books).

IO540
17th Jun 2004, 22:12
I think that before writing material for the UK GA mags, one ought to have a think about what motivates people to learn to fly.

I don't pretend to know the answers, or even have much idea of likely breakdowns, but I cannot help thinking that the material being published right now is miles away from what people that actually fly actually want to read.

But then.... do people that actually fly make up most of the readership? We might be suprised.

High Wing Drifter
17th Jun 2004, 22:25
But then.... do people that actually fly make up most of the readership? We might be suprised.
I get the impression that alot of simmers 'n' spotters buy these magazines. I would have thought that FlyPast and Airline World, etc would be more suitable for the passive interest brigade.

WestWind1950
18th Jun 2004, 04:29
I used to be editor of a magazine (non-flying) and was editor of our flying club's magazine... one of the most frustrating things is getting ENOUGH articles to fill the pages!! Some fairly good articles you keep on hand to fill in when there are pages not yet filled, and the dead-line is coming up. I'm sure any of the magazine editors would appreciate some nice entries... let them decide when and if they can use them..... might be months from now, but so what ;)

Westy

KCDW
18th Jun 2004, 06:36
People actually get paid for writing ad hoc GA articles?

I didn't think to ask when I did mine :(

Anyway, it's pretty easy to get published, so long as the topic is fairly unusual.

I got the impression that the number 1 priority is lots of lovely piccies... the words come second ;) .

High Wing Drifter
18th Jun 2004, 06:56
Westwind,

...one of the most frustrating things is getting ENOUGH articles to fill the pages!!
I can imagine this holding true for aviation too. Inspite of the depth of knowledge needed, for the man with a spamcan it is a static industry when compared to something like moutain biking where seemingly no end of products and inovations are hitting the stores on a daily basis, where art of staying upright at great speed (relative) and the techniques to maintain fitness can fill volumes.

With aviation there are very few different ways to fly a plane. The methods are tried and tested. The technology doesn't really change much. Sure there are some exciting new things happening like the EFIS (new to GA), X-Prize, diesel engines and personal jets. Even grouped together these are hardly capable of filling a magazine.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Jun 2004, 07:19
I got the impression that the number 1 priority is lots of lovely piccies... the words come second

Good pictures are important, but if the words are cr*p then it's all a waste of time.

Having said that, I think you are right in that editors now seem to put a greater emphasis on pictures and perhaps not enough on the words. I think that's a reflection of our 'presentation before content' society where 'looking good' is sometimes considered more important than 'being good'.

Consider 'Pilot' magazine back in the days when it was the only one on the market. It had far rewer pages, smaller photos, and colour only on the cover. But the writing was generally of a far higher standard than any of the mags today (OK, not all of it - but there were some gems in most issues).

These days, the mags are thick, but comprise many big and glossy pictures. Quality writing is lacking, and it very unusual indeed to come across a really well written piece - or indeed a really badly written piece.

Bland writing. Short-attention-span articles, lots of pics!

SSD

TonyR
18th Jun 2004, 07:30
I like to do a lot of touring and I am always interested in articles about different destinations in Europe.

But often there is very little description about the actual flight (route etc.) and airfields visited. Some great articles have been written in all the mags, but most are not really that interesting if you were to remove the photos.

Perhaps those of us who visit this forum should get the note book and camera out and change things ourselves, there would appear to be enough ability.

Tony

PS, I do think J F gives us all something to think about in Flyer.

FNG
18th Jun 2004, 07:39
Alright, but if anyone writes another frickin article about the frickin Chateau frickin Chassagne I may have some sort of psychotic episode. Crikey, it's not as if there aren't a zillion better hotels in Burgundy which are near airfields.

Ace Rimmer
18th Jun 2004, 07:52
Hmm this is interesting... Getting enough stuff to fill the pages. Here at Rimmer News the challenge is what you leave out. We always have too much stuff but then we are a B2B rather than newsstand.
No doubt about it, there is an awful lot going on in the industry right now (...my next job this morning – when I stop Prooning – is to re-write part of an article following the US govts refusal of UA loan guarantee application...exciting eh?).

HWD you are bang on...
Publishing lesson 101: All mags get most of their revenue from advertising - it's true subcriptions and newsstand sales are the smaller piece of the pie. Advertising that's where the loot is. Advertisers spend their money where they think it'll doo em most good (Duh...right). Ok, so if you look at the advertising in the bulk of GA mags, you'll see that in the main they cater to (gasp) people who don't fly but want to - kinda tells you why there are so many flight school ads.

Next why do manufacturers allow nurks like me to come and play with their shiney new whizz jet or whizz prop?

Answer: They think it might help flog a few – gawd knows why (but I'm glad they do). I'm quite sure nobody in a fleet planning dept reads my pearls of...er wisd...well comments... and thinks "Oo-er we must get straight out and buy some Megaplanes 75s.).
Same deal in the GA mags. With new kit they get everybody down to do the Flight test bit pretty much one after the other to raise the profile of their newly certified mold breaking, paradigm shifting mega plastic Super Flyer. Which is why they all seem to have the same thing on the cover (beats me why they don't umm sequence... guess they don't talk to each other?)

Or when an owner lets some journo get his sweaty paws on his or her superrare smokin-grinder it's usually because he or she has had enough of the damn thing and wants rid. Why is anybody surprised with the subsequent ad?

Fly Stim. : Yer not wrong there...please no more John Nicol 'Flies' (which should be John Nichol has a ride in.... Bring back Brendan O'Brien, at least that bu@@er CAN fly).

MichaelJP59
18th Jun 2004, 09:14
Fly Stim. : Yer not wrong there...please no more John Nicol 'Flies' (which should be John Nichol has a ride in.... Bring back Brendan O'Brien, at least that bu@@er CAN fly).

Brendan O'Brien reminds me of one of those aging DJs (Smashey or Nicey), I wonder if he actually talks like that in real life?

In defence of "John Nichol Flies", there wouldn't be so much cool hardware on the show if it had to be a flight-test as well. I particularly liked the one where he went to Cape Town and flew in a Lightning at Thunder City.

- Michael

mad_jock
18th Jun 2004, 09:26
Yes Brendan does speak like that.

He must have one of the best set of patter lines as an instructor in the UK.

Off the top of my head from the recent spitfire prog.

"Don't stop you pervert"

"Make luv to the sky, don't shag it."

I suspect he could very well do the Clarkson of the aviation world. It would be bloody funny.

MJ

formationfoto
18th Jun 2004, 11:55
I think Brendan was Clarkson before Clarkson.

This post has got me thinking. I do sometimes write for one of the aviation mags and I have searched back over recent articles to see whether the cess pit of cliches has leaked into my copy (!).

I try quite hard to avoid it but maybe I fail.

Often enthusiasm, having something to say, and having the skill to write it well are difficult to combine in one place. It does sometimes happen but it is rare. When it does the material produced can be excellent.

I echo what SSD has said. If you can write well and have something interesting to write about just do it and send to the relevant editor. Most of the things i do are from my suggestion rather than because someone is selling an aircraft. The Chipmunk article in Pilot a couple of months ago was one such idea (which SSD helped me with).

Editors do find it difficult to find lots of good quality copy and being realistic given the budget for editorial (work it out by multiplying the number of copies sold by half the cover price and you have a rouhg idea of the revenue which has to cover the print, editorial, production etc, costs) each copy of the magazine is unlikely to be crammed full with award winning material. The trick is to get mostly good material and some excellent material to set the magazine apart from its competitors. If you think you can provide the excellence I am sure Ian S, Dave U, and Dave C would love to hear from you.

High Wing Drifter
19th Jun 2004, 21:29
Would a car mag review a Morris Minor in the same mag as the latest BMW? I think not.
Yes, but the techno gap between a 70's and the avg new millenium plane (sorry FNG :p ) is not that great.

TonyR
20th Jun 2004, 07:43
Cessna burns 80l/h @ 160kts

Let me know where you got a 310 to do 160 knots on 80 L/h

I never managed less than 100 L/h.

I would love a TwinStar, I had a look at Aerofair, it made our TB20 seem so dated.

Dale Harris
20th Jun 2004, 07:57
But can ya fit 6 bums in a twin star?

Yankee
20th Jun 2004, 21:09
Well to see the sort of article the mags. are not interested in take a look at the Grumpy Gang site http://home.pi.be/~andre17/html/about_us.html and read the write ups on the 1999-2003 tours.
I like Nigel's humorous writing stile, unfortunately the Ed's of the mags. out there think you all want factual, non type specific unbiased boring type. Flying is all too serious to be humorous

skydriller
20th Jun 2004, 21:34
Yankee - Great site, are you by any chance a member of said cluB:D ,

I would love it if there were the odd article in the mags along those lines, I especially liked this bit...
The Controller was soon confused as to what to do with 6 small Grummans who had had the temerity to invade his airspace – After initially routeing at least two of us into the path of an approaching 757 and mixing up who was where and in what airplane, he lost his cool. Who can forget his immortal words – “Britannia 123 – I have been invaded by many small airplanes – do a 360o.” And the incredulous (but semi-calm) voice of the pilot, “WHAT!! - I’m on a 7 mile final approach and you want me to do a 360o!!!?”. :}

SD..

Yankee
20th Jun 2004, 23:12
Skydriller

With a handle like that I suppose I have to put my hand up and say, yes I’m a member.
Glad you enjoyed it. There has over the last couple of years been right ups in the mags. of similar fly outs covering the same places, but none have had that humors content that we can all relate to. The feed back from the mags. has been “yes that’s great for a club newsletter, but not for our publication”, I think they need to get a feel for what the grass routes flyer wants, not what they think we want.
I see your from the Bordeaux region, did you see the write up about the Orion Squadron at Marmande, http://home.pi.be/~andre17/html/1998_marmande.html now they would make a good article. A bunch of guys flying vintage planes a few of who are professional chefs who can arrange the most enjoyable fly-in that anyone could wish for.

Hireandhire
21st Jun 2004, 15:53
..and by the way, the standard of picture captioning/ editing of RAF obituaries in the broadsheets has reduced me to stunned silence before now. Some poor distinguished aviators obit was graced with a very rare picture of an experimental turbo prop poweredMeteor last year, captioned "the world's first jet fighter".!!!

I wrote and offered to edit aviation stuff for them but got no reply.
AND that's before we get on to general GA stuff in newspapers, which I know has been done to death here, but I particularly liked the photo of the damaged cessna twin, both engines visible, captioned "single engined......"