View Full Version : Licence renew!!

Bear Cub
20th Feb 2001, 21:17
Current - extremely experienced - helicopter professional wants to renew UK fixed wing PPL (old group A thingie) that has not been used for 15 years.

Does he now call it an expired SEP and just do sufficient to pass full skill test?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Noggin
20th Feb 2001, 21:58
No, he just does enought to pass the LPC Proficiency Check. The paperwork will have to go to Gatwick if the licence is 15 years out of date

Bear Cub
20th Feb 2001, 22:50
From the hallowed pages of the SRG website, I find (undated, of course) the following...

" Ratings/Endorsements - SEP: How do I renew an expired SEP rating?

For a period not exceeding 5 years from the expiry date of your SEP rating, you will be required to pass a Licensing Proficiency Check. To renew an SEP rating that has expired by more than 5 years you must pass the SPA Skill Test on a SE Piston (Land) aeroplane at an FTO (Flight Training Organisation) or a Registered Facility."

Now...this guy has never had an SEP rating -he has only had a UK National Group A PPL.

It seems to suggest that the LPC is for checks of less than five years overdue, that the full skill test (nav and all) is for checks over five years and it also seems to suggest that there are NO minimum requirements other than "pass the test".

Noggin
21st Feb 2001, 01:00
You are quite right, but the Skill Test for a rating holder is the same as the Proficiency Check and uses the LPC Form. See Standards Doc 14 para 5.2.1 Proficiency Check Application and Report Form (LPC SPA). Confirmed in the latest version of the CAA Examiners Handbook page 17 table 6B. Other Ref AIC 115/99 para 2.

JAR-FCL 1.245 (f)(2) If a single engine class rating has expired, the applicant shall complete the skill test in Appendices 1 and 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240. That is the test on LPCSPA. Group A was a single engine Class Rating albeit not just piston

The "full" Skill Test as you put it, including "navigation" Section 3, is only conducted for initial licence issue. Form LST is for initial rating issue for licence holders.

I must confess it needs a lot of reading between the lines to get the answer.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 20 February 2001).]