View Full Version : Are there any instructors who don't have an IFR Rating?

flyer-1
9th May 2001, 08:18
If so does it effect you're job much?

fallen eagle
9th May 2001, 11:49
Hi there must still be instructors operating with an I.M.C. (U.K.)rating as this is one of the minimum requirements,one cannot function as an instructor without instrument flying ability/qualifications.If you are in the states you will need an I/R to hold the CPL for the cfi certificated flight instructor rating anyway.In the UK you need an imc to get the cpl or an I/R so which ever way you look at it you need some form of instrument flying qualification hope that helps bye for now

RVR800
9th May 2001, 12:40
The JAR CPL has no built-in IMC rating
so this can now happen

fallen eagle
9th May 2001, 23:04
RV 800 does this mean that the JAR CPL in its most basic form has no inst flying privileges?if so I did not realise that or is an I/R an integral part of the licence,Christ aint it the pits own up who is not confused by all the recent changes.

Multp
10th May 2001, 01:14
Under the (old) UK national rules there was an anomaly in that the holder of a CPL did not need an IMC rating to exercise the priveleges of that rating, although the holder of a BCPL did need the IMC added on.
RVR800 is correct: under the JAA system, no change for CPL holders. The difference formerly was born of the differing training requirements for BCPL/CPL.
An Instructor reval/renew test should contain an Instrument flight portion, as far as I am aware.

babble
10th May 2001, 11:06
I was told that it will be possible to add a UK IMC rating to a JAR CPL or ATPL.

Personally I intend to keep my UK ATPL (not change to a JAR ATPL) because the UK ATPL (and CPL) includes the privilage of flying in IMC outside controlled airspace in SEP aeroplanes, whereas the JAR ATPL (without IMC rating) does not.

My Instrment rating (thanks to JAR) is no longer valid for SEP aeroplanes.

RVR800
10th May 2001, 14:09
Fallen eagle

See

http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/GID24.pdf

and look at Appendix D

A CPL under JAR only needs 10 hrs
Instrument INSTRUCTION so no IFR privileges
without the addition of an IMC or IR

There is no rating included in the JAR CPL
as there was in the national CPL

The national CPL has an embedded IMC priviledge valid for 10 years
A renewal of national CPL required an IMC check ride for the next 10 years on expiry

Hope this helps

This is a crazy business driven by bureaucrats ..

TooHotToFly
10th May 2001, 15:47
The holder of a JAA CPL is exempt the minimum training requirements for the IMC rating, but must pass the test.

Jim lovell
12th May 2001, 09:51
In Australia you need not hold an IFR rating to be a flying instructor. The only pre-requisites are a CPL with a minimum of NVFR. Most of the instructors here don't have an IFR and usually get one after instructing VFR for a few years.

chicken6
13th May 2001, 01:25
In NZ you only need 15 hours instrument flight time to be a C-Category instructor, 10 in aeroplanes and 5 dual (can do 5 PIC with a safety pilot). You don't even need a night rating unless you want to teach at night. And you don't need a CPL unless you want to be paid (although it gives credibility and I don't know of any PPL instructors).

I got all the quals early, so can't comment apart from not everyone is in Europe or the USA.

JP5A
16th May 2001, 15:22
Never heard of IFR rating.
Do you mean an IR rating??