PDA

View Full Version : Huddersfield information please

fonawah
16th Jun 2004, 12:38
Hi all,
This weekend, wx permitting I would like to fly to Huddersfield (from Sherburn in Elmet). I have read about it in my Pooleys guide and I noted a few things such as the 825ft elevation, the 2.6degree rwy slope (which is part grass/part tarmac), and the surrounding high areas (around 1400ft amsl). Also I believe I would need to transit the Leeds zone to get there.
I was just wondering if anyone has recently flown there and if this is probably a bit too much for a 55hr PPL (obtained in April this year).
Many thanks for any info/advice
F

PPPPP
16th Jun 2004, 13:03
I've been there twice recently, also with low hours. It can be "challenging" when there's a crosswind but as long as you're down before the tarmac when using 07 you're ok. If not then a go-around is essential since 07 slopes downwards from the junction. I've not tried 25 but apparently there can be a bit of a downdraught over the quarries so be prepared.

david viewing
16th Jun 2004, 13:19
Theres been a discussion about it here (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6289&highlight=huddersfield) .

DRJAD
16th Jun 2004, 13:27
Might be best to route around the southern edge of the Leeds CTA.

If you depart on route Sierra from Sherburn and track to Walton Wood, then route direct to Crosland Moor (remembering to miss the transmitter mast at Emley Moor!) you should remain clear of the Leeds CTA. If you make sure you are below 3000' on the Leeds QNH as you pass Emley Moor inbound to Crossland Moor, then you do not need to enter the Leeds or the Manchester CTAs, unless you are considerably off course. Of course, be sure not to ascend to 3500' or above to avoid airway L975 (Class A) as it steps down into the Manchester TMA.

It would be a good idea to ask for a RIS or FIS from Leeds Approach, though.

Notwithstanding all that, and provided you are prepared for the possible downdrafts (see PPPPPs post) you should have an enjoyable flight.

fonawah
16th Jun 2004, 13:48
Thanks everyone for your replies and helpful advice
F

knobbygb
17th Jun 2004, 08:55
Hi Fon. I did the same trip a couple of weeks ago. No need to enter the Leeds airspace, or go round it, you can stay below it throughout - straight line form Sherburn at 2000ft or less. Leeds were very happy to give a FIS, but did insist on telling me what altitude to fly, even when outside their airspace.

I was a bit unsure about going to Crossland at first myself (I only have a few hours more than you), but in the end it was quite easy. Don't worry too much about the fact that the runway is part grass and part tarmac - it's 800M in total and that is HUGE compared to our own runways.

Admittedly I was lucky with wind (5kts from the west) and I think it would have been more challenging landing downhill. The main thing to watch out for is the windshear caused by the quarry under the threshold. My technique was to fly the circuit like a PFL, i.e. tight and high and glide in (with some sideslip), aiming for the displaced threshold but deliberately touching down just before. The a/c stopped VERY quickly and needed quite a bit of power to actually get up the hill to the parking area.

The pic is taken on a (high) base leg for 25:
http://www.jenna-c.co.uk/images/site/crossland.jpg

Departure was more of an issue. I was tempted to takeoff downhill, but by that time there would have been more like 10kts of tailwind, so I went for the westerly. Still no problem though. This was in one of the 'new' warriors, btw, with 2-up and nearly full fuel.

Don't worry about the 825ft elevation - it's high for the UK but I'd just got back from the states and been into places at 6000ft+

Other points - don't expect anyone to answer your radio calls - there was nobody around when I went - we just helped ourselves to tea and biccies from the caravan and left a donation. The only time I've seen activity (when I visited by road) was a couple of microlights in the circuit, so watch out for these.

PM me if you like, or if you need a right-seat pax/navigator - I'm free early Saturday morning :ok: