PDA

View Full Version : Multi engine validation

Klute
23rd Sep 2000, 01:30
Why is the annual proficiency flight to revalidate the MEP rating got to be with an EXAMINER when the pilot has satisfied the 10 sector criteria. Why not an MEP instructor? I can understand the need to fly with an examiner if one hasn't done the required sectors/hours but I would have thought that an MEP instructor could do the proficiency check.

BlueLine
23rd Sep 2000, 21:25
A simple matter of privileges, only an examiner may conduct a proficiency check, an instructor does not have that privilege.

Klute
24th Sep 2000, 01:01
Thanks for the response Blueline. I suppose the question that I'm asking is why isn't the revalidation criteria for the MEP the same as the SEP. Like the SEP if you haven't done the multi hours then do a flight with an examiner but if you have then do a flight with an instructor.

BlueLine
24th Sep 2000, 17:24
The JAA considered that the twin is a more complex aeroplane and together with Types, should be checked annually. In reallity the JAA do not see twins as PPL aeroplanes.

The SEP revalidation was meant to be a bi-enial flight review as per the FAA system. Certain countries wanted to revalidate by experience instead, hence the either/or system of a check, or 12 arbitary hours in the latter half of the validity period, plus a dual flight to make up for the lack of a test.

TooHotToFly
26th Sep 2000, 12:35
If you have done the ten route sectors then the only thing you are excused is one route sector when you do your proficiency check. Now considering that a route sector is defined as take-off, 15 mins cruise and a landing, you will inevitebly do a route sector in your proficiency check, even if you don't need to. This means that there is practically no difference in the two different revalidation flights, regardless of how current you are. Another great system.