PDA

View Full Version : Passenger on the controls - legalities?

Acker Demick
9th Dec 2000, 20:41
A flying pal has asked me for some advice on the legal/insurance implications of allowing passengers to "have a go" on the controls during private pleasure flights - can any instructors out there help please? I am talking about a situation where the P1 is PPL holder, not an instructor, and the flight is in the UK in a privately-owned Group A aircraft. Does the phase of flight make a difference (i.e. is it OK in the cruise but illegal in the circuit or during take-off and landing), does it matter who sits in the left seat, or if there are other passengers in the back? Before anybody reaches for their flame thrower, he wouldn't dream of letting a total novice fly during takeoff/landing, but the passenger might be, say, a lapsed PPL. Also, there is no suggestion that the passenger would log the time - this is purely for pleasure. Any advice on the legal position and insurance implications would be very welcome.

AD

------------------
If God had meant us to fly he would have given us more money

Noggin
11th Dec 2000, 02:20
It is not illegal to give instruction on a private flight provided it is not for the purpose of gaining a licence or rating. It should be remembered that the PIC is responsible for the aircraft and its passengers. Regarding the insurance issues, you would need to talk to the insurance company. There is of course no legal requirement to be insured.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 10 December 2000).]