PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Los Angeles Califonia

windymiller7
14th Jun 2004, 11:13
I will be taking a holiday 25 Aug to 9th Sept 2004 in La and would like to do some flying. I will be staying in Corona with some friends. I will be going with my partner, our 2 year old daughter and two older children, all of them enjoy flying and want to come with me as much as they can. I am a 150 hour Jar ppl, with recent exp on piper warriors and arrow. I have the following questions,

1 can anyone recomend a flying school or place to rent a warrior/arrow.
2 what are the current requirements regarding private flying do I need an M1? I have looked at the post regarding this but this seems to relate to achieving qualifications, I will not be doing any training but would obviously need check out flights. Does this count as training? Is it worth doing a IMC couse, I am currently 30% of the way thru the course in the UK (Sywell, NSOF)
3 Are there any PPls in LA who would be willing to share some flying?
4 where are the best sights to see within say 3 hours flying time from Corona, possibly with an overnight stay?:D

Keef
14th Jun 2004, 11:24
I don't know Corona, but have flown often in California, Arizona and Nevada.

I rented an Arrow (old, cheap, and battered but airworthy) from Air Desert Pacific at Brackett Field. I've done that several times.

There are several schools in the area that are highly regarded - Chilli Monster is the person I'd ask.

You don't need a visa if all you'll be doing is getting a reciprocal PPL and doing a checkride, but you do need to plan ahead for it. There are threads with all the details - basically, you apply to collect your FAA PPL from a suitable FSDO, pay the CAA their statutory fee for confirming you have a valid PPL, and you're done. It takes time, so don't wait till the last minute.

In theory you don't need a checkride or a BFR when you first get your FAA PPL, but in practice I think you'll find all schools will insist on a checkride.

If you want to do any training, then you'll need a visa, and a school that can do the necessary forms for you. If it's an IMC rating you want, then you also need a school that is approved to do those.

3 hours from LA in an Arrow? The Grand Canyon, San Diego, Page (probably a bit over three hours), Death Valley, Shoreline Tour, Monterey... The list is almost endless. I spent two weeks there earlier this year, and had a whale of a time.

windymiller7
15th Jun 2004, 11:58
Thanks for that info I have contacted Air desert pacific and I am currently filling out the faa form (verification of autheticity)and form 1160 for caa verification, which needs to be sent in 60 days before flying! They have quite a helpful website.:D

Josh10524
15th Jun 2004, 20:45
Universal Air Academy at El Monte has some good rates, theres also Lightning, and F.A.S.T. Avation. There's a Grob 109 based there now, can rent that.

Universal - www.universalairacademy.com

Lightning - www.flylightning.com

F.A.S.T. - www.fastaviation.com

L.A. Soaring (Grob) - www.lasoaring.com

Lightning has a very pretty red cessna 140. Saw it flying around yesterday. they're new I think so I can't vouch for them but they look to be a good operation. Universal and F.A.S.T. have been there for a while, never heard complaints about either. L.A. Soaring has been here since october of last year, I start training in the grob on Sunday, seems to be a neat alternative to all the 152s and warriors about. Enjoy your stay wherever you go!