View Full Version : Duplicate Log Book.

Khud
29th Apr 2001, 00:22
HELP!!!! I've just along with my flight briefing notes, GPS, and Headset; had a post PPL(H) students log book stolen, has anyone been in a similar position? He started training with me 30+ hours into his PPL(H) after coming over from a rival training school (his choice). Do the CAA take photo copies on application for PPL? HELP!!!

[This message has been edited by Khud (edited 28 April 2001).]

robione
29th Apr 2001, 16:37
Been down this road.The normal procedure is to try to make up a new log based on memory of as much as u can,TOTAL HRS,TYPE OFA/C,P1 HRS,P2 HRS,NAMES OF SCHOOLS WHERE TRAINING DONE.Then go to a solicitor and swear an affidavit to the effect that your new log is to the best of your knowledge TRUE TESTAMENT OF PREVIOUS FLYING EXPERIENCE.U then have to go to another solicitor to have him validate it with his signature.Job done.Stick a copy of the sworn affidavit in the back of your new log book[get some extra genuine copys from the sol]make a note in the back of the log book;:THIS IS MY SECOND LOG BOOK,THE FIRST HAVING BEEN STOLEN ON BLAH BLAH.Thats it.If u can,go to the school/s where the training was done and make up a copy from there records if they are available to you.Whilst your there ask them to sign the log to the effect that its true.If u cant ,or for some reason the records are not available,dont worry just do as previously stated,from memory with a signed and sworn affidavit is good enough for the CAA.Mine was stolen along with everything else,licence,med,h/set the lot.I had 150hrs at the time,the schools i had trained at had changed from written records to computer and didnt have any of my records,but like i said just remember all of it and u will be ok.Cost of it? ABOUT 150 pounds total.Hope this helps.It does work ok ive just had my proffesional licence issued recently with the said log book sent to them.

GRpr
29th Apr 2001, 16:59
I am sorry that I have nothing to say that can help in addition to the above. My sympathies.

However, for anyone reading this thread who hasn't yet had their logbook stolen, or lost it: a good bit of advice I had early on in my training was to regularly photocopy new pages and keep them somewhere safe. At worst, you only have to reconstruct a page or two. A really simple and cheap bit of insurance against a real horror!

[This message has been edited by GRpr (edited 29 April 2001).]

Aussie Andy
29th Apr 2001, 22:04
Another (hopefully useful) suggestion is to keep an electronic log in a spreadsheet on your home PC, and make backup copies of this to a floppy disk or similar. The lost log book could then be reconstructed from the spreadsheet.

Andy

------------------
"Andy sang, Andy watched, Andy waited 'til his billy boiled..." (It was written for me!)

Sensible
29th Apr 2001, 23:16
Nothing like a regular photocopy of new pages - and kept at a separate location to the logbook in case of theft, fire, flood etc. (good old mum)

As far as records of existing log entries, most flying clubs keep records and would probably be happy to produce their records in the event of loss of log book.

Keef
30th Apr 2001, 02:09
If the aircraft you flew had "Technical and Journey Logs" then you should be able to do some reconstructing from there if the club/owner has kept them.

But the best answer is the photocopy or computer log. I prefer the computer one, cos it adds up all the various times for me so I know the page totals are right (I'm hopeless at adding up hours/minutes).

theRolfe2
2nd May 2001, 21:35
I've always kept all the receipts I get when I pay- they specify the aircraft and the time used as well as the date.

theRolfe

[This message has been edited by theRolfe2 (edited 02 May 2001).]

Khud
3rd May 2001, 01:43
Thanks for all the advice Chaps, Keep it coming.