View Full Version : PIC or not

PULL UP PULL UP
25th Apr 2001, 00:48
Hello fellow instructors...

Question:
When I check out a pilot with a PPL(A), for example a currency check, who is the official Pilot In Command? The FI(A) or the PPL(A) holder?
I asked several collegues, and they didn't know for sure...

Thanx for the help!

Noggin
25th Apr 2001, 01:30
If you wish to log the hours then you are PIC. The person being checked may be either Dual (PU/T) or if the check is successfull they can be P1S (PICUS).

Tinstaafl
25th Apr 2001, 03:01
Who has ultimate responsibility / authority / accountability for the safe conduct of the flight?

I think that makes it the instructor in command!

Luke SkyToddler
25th Apr 2001, 03:52
You are. I can't think of any situation when you're giving instruction, where you wouldn't be the PiC (unless you are renewing your own instructor rating with an FI examiner of course). The relevant CAA white paper for PPL renewals (forget the number now) quite clearly says that a PPL holder wishing to renew their C of E, must in addition to their 12 hours in the preceding 12 months etc etc, have logged one hour's DUAL with an FI.

TooHotToFly
25th Apr 2001, 11:53
Remember that the student only logs it as P1/S if it is a flight for the purporses of issuing or renewing their licence. If it's a club check out because they haven't flown with your flying school before, then it's dual.

RVR800
25th Apr 2001, 12:28
I always record it as P1

cos I'm in charge not the other guy..

DB6
25th Apr 2001, 22:20
There is a common, and incorrect, belief that any successful check flight can be logged as P1/S. They can't, only those required by the ANO i.e. skill tests, IMC tests, IR tests etc. All the rest are Pu/t and the instructor is always P1.

Squawk 8888
25th Apr 2001, 23:28
Don't know about UK but over here the only rule is that the PIC must be named before the flight, so if it's a club check it can be either.

------------------
Per dementia ad astra

The Flying I
25th Apr 2001, 23:46
Squawk 8888 - same over here.
Club rental checks should be dealt with by mutual prior decision (one logs P1, the other doesn't log anything offical. If training is involved or for the JAR biennial, it's p1 for the instructor and p u/t for the payee.
Anyone believing in P1 u/s on instructor rental checks probably hasn't read the relevant CAP lately (or ever). Can't remember which - CAP 53 is my inclination, but i'll ask this audience rather than phone a friend.

Delta Wun-Wun
26th Apr 2001, 15:44
I wonder if I pick your brains on the subject of Hours logging.I recently moved to fly at a different school.This involved a check out flight with one of their Instructors.I logged the time on his advice as P1S but put it in the dual/P2 column of my log book.Is that correct or do I have to make an alteration.Many thanks.DWW

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!

TooHotToFly
26th Apr 2001, 20:39
If the check out was simply for the school to make sure that they are happy for you to fly their aircraft then it is not P1/S. Assuming that the instructor logged it as P1 (which I'm sure he will have) then you have to put it down as PUT. So you put it in the right column, but you should change the P1/S to PUT.

Delta Wun-Wun
27th Apr 2001, 01:43
He said that he wasnt logging it so I could book it as P1S ,As this is not in the P1 column this doesnt count towards solo time anyway does it? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

------------------

TooHotToFly
27th Apr 2001, 13:42
Someone must log it as P1 so if he didn't log it at all, then (assuming you are current) you must log it as P1, not P1/S and therefore it goes in the P1 column. If the instructor doesn't log it then I think he's classed as a passenger therefore you should have also done 3 take-offs and landings in the previous 90 days to make it all legal.

Delta Wun-Wun
27th Apr 2001, 16:02
Too Hot,
Thanks very much, Thats sorted that.I can book it as P1 as I am okay for the take offs bit.
Cheers DWW

------------------