View Full Version : Freelance instructing /be your own boss

rex
24th Apr 2001, 22:52
Thinking about my future in aviation, is it possible to hire my services out to prospective students. The chances are I may have my own 172 as well.

I would like to know some of the legal side so if anyone can help thanks very much.

Rex

Noggin
25th Apr 2001, 01:38
Legally you have every right to do so however, JAR-FCL requires that all training for a JAA PPL be conducted at a Registered Facility. If you are not registered, the student may not be entitled to the licence you have trained them for.

Snowball
26th Apr 2001, 19:53
Legally OK but check out your insurance which will no doubt be affected with substantially higher premiums.
Also check where you will fly from ,is it licenced etc, be careful and read up in detail first.

juggernaut
27th Apr 2001, 01:58
To teach a ppl student you must have the following; a licenced airfield, fire cover, both members of a flying club and if training a non owner a public transport c of a.

eyeinthesky
27th Apr 2001, 13:02
If you are lucky you might be able to persuade a flying club to pay you as if you are self employed and you sort your own tax out. There are however problems if you only instruct at one place as you need more than one source of income to be self employed. Also, if the people ring the flying club and book a lesson and get allocated to you, they are not really booking you, are they? This is a rough gist of what I was told. If you want more detailed info, ask an accountant!

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

babble
5th May 2001, 10:58
Legally, a person who owns their own aircraft can be trained for the PPL on it, even if the aircraft is on a private cat C of A or a PFA permit. I have been told by the PFA that this would also apply to a member of the owner's immediate family, though a definition of "immediate family" was not given.

My question is how can the owner of an aeroplane engage the services of a freelance instructor to teach him (or a member of his immediate family) for the PPL? JAR FCL states that PPL training must be conducted at least at a "registered facility". Would it be possible for a freelance instructor to register him or her self together with the client's aeroplane as a "registered facility" for the duration of the training?

Will the "registered facility" requirement appply to the NPPL?

Also Juggernaut stated that both must be members of a flying club. Could somebody please cite where this rule comes from. I could not find it in JAR FCL.

Regards,
babble

Noggin
6th May 2001, 19:39
A freelance instructor would need to Register in order to train a person on their own aircraft.

As the Rules for the NPPL have not been written knowbody knows.

The Reference to a Flying Club is one of the terms under which the holder of a BCPL(R) and in certain cases a PPL holder may be remunerated without holding a Commercial Licence.(Eg Helicopter and Microlight Instructors) It is written into the Restriction contained in a BCPL(R).

babble
6th May 2001, 22:34
Noggin, thanks for the info.

It seems then that if the instructor holds a CPL or ATPL, or if renumeration is not recieved by the holder of a BCPL(R), there is no requirement for student or instructor to belong to a "flying club". Of couse an approved FTO is not a "flying club" either.

I suggest that the following snip fron the Tayside Aviation web site is not strictly true.

"It is a prerequisite of learning to fly that both student and instructor be members of a properly constituted flying club."

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 06 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 06 May 2001).]

RVR800
10th May 2001, 16:52
If the Instructor is a member he has signed
an agreement to abide by the rules of the club

This can have consequences outside the scope
of the CAA related legislation

e.g. Accident - Liability - Insurance excess ? etc etc ..

BLUEBARON
18th May 2001, 03:41
I'm freelance and contracted to a registared school. Good money/lifestyle and loads on hours. Classic case on right time right place though.

I still can't get an airline job after 3 years applying.