PDA

View Full Version : Taildragger Conversion

Runandbreak
16th Sep 2000, 13:43
Hi Chaps,

I am quite an experienced pilot, but am thinking of adding tailwheel aircraft to my logbbok for the first time.

Can anybody recommend an experienced (and reputable)taildragger instructor?

He needs to be able to teach "the main wheel landing method" as well.

Preferably a Super Cub on a grass runway.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks.

foxmoth
16th Sep 2000, 16:37
Where are you?
If in the right area I could probably help
(currently instructing on DH82a + converting a new owner to his own Tiger Moth)
post your email or phone & I will get back to you, or you can try me on 0850 874256
n.b. This wish dosn't seem to fit with your profile - not many tailwheel without fans in front :)

[This message has been edited by foxmoth (edited 16 September 2000).]

Mount'in Man
16th Sep 2000, 17:12
Super Cub?? Get into a real tail-dragger, a Cessna 185. Forget about wheeling them on - thats for pussycats. Three point 'em. One main and tail in a crosswind.

------------------
Mount'in man,
I luv mountin' women!

decmax
16th Sep 2000, 19:24
I dont know the instructors name, but clacton run, a three day tail dragger course. You train in a super cub, and the airfield is grass, so that should be right up your street, a friend of mine done the course and recomended it , max.

fallen eagle
17th Sep 2000, 20:04
call clacton ask for Jo Parry though I think she is using her maiden name of McDonald and say Martin recomended her cos we go back a long long way.

DB6
18th Sep 2000, 23:48
Where are you, Runandbreak ? If the Midlands try Northampton School of Flying (Super Cub, grass runway and Pitts S-2A) or Tatenhill Aviation (Super Decathlon - about as easy as a Super Cub but fully aerobatic as well), they also have an unlicensed grass runway beside the hard, licensed, one. In my experience as long as the instructor is reasonably competent it doesn't really matter after you've mastered the basics-I taught myself wheeler landings after getting reasonably competent at 3-pointers. By the way I recommend 'The Compleat Taildragger Pilot' by Harvey S. Plourde.

[This message has been edited by DB6 (edited 18 September 2000).]

hugh flung_dung
19th Sep 2000, 21:13
Several of us teach tailwheel at Old Sarum (01722-322525) using a Citabria or a Texas Taildragger (tailwheel C152 - which is surprisingly fun to fly!). Until recently we also used a Stearman but unfortunately it's been sold :-(

Forgot to say...
The course usually consists of:
- accelerate/stops to get your feet working
- G/H to get the feel of the aircraft
- Normal takeoffs, 3 point landings
- Short field takeoffs, wheel landings
- slipping approaches, etc
- farm strips if the stude wants to do it

[This message has been edited by hugh flung_dung (edited 19 September 2000).]

Runandbreak
23rd Sep 2000, 22:21
Thank you every body who took the time to reply to my question.

I have some good leads there, and will make some calls this week.

I live near Bournemouth, so Old Sarum is certainly a good option.

Cheers!