PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - Alteon

IRRenewal
11th Jun 2004, 16:11
Thought this might be of interest. I have no connection with either company and don't know more than what you can read below.

Alteon Training, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Boeing Company, and Boeing's exclusive training supplier, is very pleased to be recently appointed as a training provider to Ryanair, offering 737-800 Type Rating courses as a part of Ryanair's Self Sponsored Training Scheme.

We currently have courses planned for the Summer months this year. Ryanair has supplied us with your details in order that we may contact you to ask if you are still interested in flying with Ryanair and, therefore, this opportunity to gain a Type Rating with the world's premier training company, Alteon.

The selection process will initially be by a simulator assessment conducted by Alteon instructional staff. Ryanair HR personnel will then interview successful candidates. If successful after the interview stage, you would move directly on to the Type Rating course.

The dates of the Type Rating courses are as follows:

19 July Cadet Course and JAR25 Co-pilots - Palma de Mallorca
09 August JAR25 Captains and Co-pilots - London-Gatwick

As described on the Ryanair website, candidates under this scheme are self-sponsored. The cost to each candidate for the training is 1) Simulator Assessment - £290 plus UK V.A.T. and 2) 737-800 Type Rating Course - €21,407 plus applicable local taxes. The training would take place at either London-Luton, London-Gatwick or Palma de Mallorca on our state of the art devices and training aids. The location will be determined by the availability of resources. In addition to this training Ryanair will require successful candidates to attend company training at their training centre. This will be described to you at the interview.

You should be aware that there is a lot of interest in this opportunity and therefore if you wish to proceed you should click on this link http://alteon.sigmaraviation.com today to initiate the process. This will take you to a questionnaire, which we use as the initial selection tool, and is the only way to apply and to receive more information on this opportunity. Sigmar Aviation are the Alteon appointed partner for this project. Any information submitted to either Alteon or Sigmar Aviation will remain confidential and will not be distributed. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Alteon Training UK Limited

eagerbeaver
11th Jun 2004, 17:47
i gott that email, who sent it and how do they know about me. Anyone

Flying Farmer
12th Jun 2004, 08:30
Got the mail this morning, applied online around 18 months ago.
Any more info would be welcome :ok:

FF

toro01
12th Jun 2004, 21:15
Got the mail too. Several questions come to my mind

1. If you pay your rating after the sim ride and the interview. Do you get the job with ryanair? I don´t want to spend a fortune for nothing

2. Alteon is not among the companys that I have heard they work with ryanair. Why this mail then

3. What is the starting salary. According to ppjn it doesn´t semm to be a lot

Info wanted. thanks

A Very Civil Pilot
13th Jun 2004, 11:45
I received it a few days ago. A pity for them that I am already type rated and employed. Looks like it's a very old mailing list

Bobby Guzzler
13th Jun 2004, 13:19
I got it too - nice to see the Ryanair are well on top of their recruiting and up to date with applications, only sent mine 2 years ago.

Said rather politely thanks but no thanks, already flying a 73 and with an airline where I don't have to bring in a thermos flask every morning (and my plane has window blinds, and reclining seats - oh the luxuries)!!! Kin pikey gippos :ouch: .

Flying Farmer
13th Jun 2004, 18:23
It seems a few have received the mail. Was interested to know what percentage of applicants may get to go forward to the sim stage.
Toro the Ryanair site has much of the info you require,quote" Following successful completion of your type-rating training with the Approved Training School and Base Check with Ryanair, you will be offered a six months training contract by Ryanair to facilitate your line training".
Alteon is now mentioned on the web site, starting salary is low but flight pay is good.
Bobby Guzzler heard that applications are sorted in chronological order, my application went in around two years ago as well.

toro01
13th Jun 2004, 21:22
I sent my applicattion a couple of years ago also.

The Yank
14th Jun 2004, 05:11
I also got the e-mail 10 min after being offer a job where I don't have to put a penny toward my TR :D :D . So Mike O'leary and the rest can go and S:mad: ff themselves :} :}

Crosswind Limits
14th Jun 2004, 08:53
Congrats The Yank! :) I'm pleased for you that you won't have to do much more puddle jumping at Stapleford. You've been plugging away a long time and deserved a break! :) I'd be interested to know where you're going.

Best of luck!:ok:

MorningGlory
15th Jun 2004, 19:52
Nice one Yank well done mate! Best 'o luck, see you in the flight levels!

MG.

Canadiankid
15th Jun 2004, 23:49
My two bits go as follows. Job market picking up, and will continue to do so. If everyone out of work was patient and climbed the aviation ladder the old fashion way... ie Instruct/Tow gliders into FO light twin/turbo to skipper and on up people would not have to sell limbs to get jobs. You might even learn how to fly and have fun in the process!

Stop paying for type ratings and the BS ends. Good on ya Yank. Got a great job and it cost me nada. Getting payed a big salary. Just have to do my time agreed too. Which brings me to another point. If every pilot out there honoured their training agreements, this whole paying for a type rating crap would be much further from the minds of the bean counters who now run the shows.

Screw Ryan Air and all who ask for money.

:D

trainer too 2
16th Jun 2004, 08:27
climbed the aviation ladder the old fashion way... ie Instruct/Tow gliders into FO light twin/turbo to skipper and on up people would not have to sell limbs to get jobs. You might even learn how to fly and have fun in the process!

The old fashioned way in Europe is integrated ab-initio, 200 hrs and than RHS! :ok:

Canadiankid
17th Jun 2004, 00:07
In some cases yes. Airline sponsorship schemes are one thing. Since 9/11 they are scarce and in many cases not as good as they were.

Getting your licence at mom and pops flying school and then getting a job on an NG 73 etc just because you have an extra 30gs to spare is another. No question about it, whoever has the biggest bank account is by far the best candiadate for an FO job. Hours, types, education and pure ability don't really count. I am sure the travelling public would agree.

I fly in Europe and it did not cost me a penny. More poeple should aim for the same and we could put that money to other uses like shelter and food for ourselves and loved ones. Think about it. You are lining otherwise already very wealthy peoples pockets.

My two Cents. Pardon the pun.

:ok:

Peggy Murphy
17th Jun 2004, 09:06
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think you will find that Alteon are unaware of the above letter so dont get too excited. Ryanair and Flight Safety/Alteon have been having talks for quite some time now. Some busy body obviously overheard a conversation and thought it would be a great idea to pass on his/her info.

IRRenewal
17th Jun 2004, 10:01
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think you will find that Alteon are unaware of the above letter so dont get too excited. Ryanair and Flight Safety/Alteon have been having talks for quite some time now. Some busy body obviously overheard a conversation and thought it would be a great idea to pass on his/her info.

Bizarre statement Peggy. I guess the link is also non-existent and the website that comes up is virtual as well?

As I stated when I started this thread, I have no connection with either Alteon or Ryanair, but received this e-mail possibly as a result of being in contact with FR about 18 months ago.

It was sent by a Jane Dodd at Alteon (this must be the busy body you were talking about), who then not only drafted the above e-mail but also had access to my e-mail address, which can only be known to Alteon because Ryanair supplied it to them. In addition, the Ryanair website lists Alteon as one of their training providers on their wannabee pilots page including the same link as was in the e-mail you dismiss as fake.

Having looked at the information available to me and done a bit of research I have every reason to believe it is real. Can you state your reasons why you think otherwise?

Facts please, no hear-say.

pinkpilot
17th Jun 2004, 11:51
Peggy do your research before you start shooting someone down we all know that this is a RUMOURS website and yes it is helpful when false rumours are quashed. A big thanks to IRRated for starting this thread, just look at the interest it has generated over 1000 hits, we need all the info we can get to try and get the 1st step on the ladder.

yyzdub
17th Jun 2004, 13:37
RE: Alteon/Ryanair -- it's true, all you need to do is pick up the phone and ask someone. Sigmar is backing this with Alteon and as said, is fully supported by Ryanair as seen on their website.

On another note from reading this thread....

I still can't figure out why people are continually putting down those who chose the self sponsored route ie. Ryanair, etc.

Sure, it may not be looked on highly by those from the old school and certainly puts a dent in ones pocket but if someone has the means to pay for this and go about this route why would you slag them off? I certainly would not say no to an offer if it was self funded and I had the bank account to support it, for the good of those who do not. That's like someone giving you something and saying no, I'll wait until everyone else has the same opportunity, is it not?

Although a low timer, it doesn't take long to see that this is a cut throat industry and people have to go by whatever means necessary to secure a job - I'm not speaking of back stabbing or stepping on people, rather using all means available to you - money, who you know, etc. We all share the same passion of flying and also the desire to have a job - plain and simple, so why not get those objectives by whatever option you have available?

I understand this may upset those who feel that we are selling ourselves and the industry short but we all need a job and we all want to fly so I think it's time to accept that this may be the new direction aviation is taking, especially for us low timers!

Good Luck.

yyzdub

The Yank
17th Jun 2004, 17:03
I am no way slagging people off for paying for the TR. BUT Times are a changin!!!!

Pilot Pete
18th Jun 2004, 14:39
yyzdub

I think most people on these pages quite understand WHY guys pay for type ratings and they don't dispute that. I think what people dislike is that it has become a trend, started by the low cost operators and now more and more airlines simply follow suit, be that because they feel they have to to compete, or just purely because they see it as a way to lower thei costs. What this does is shift the risk and the cost on to the individual. What it also does is lower the starting terms and conditions for those who sign up to these agreements. Market forces maybe, but if no-one paid for a type rating the industry would still bear the costs and this is where many current pilots think the costs should lie. It could be taken to an extreme; where do you stop paying the airline for your 'chance'? This could keep getting pushed further and further by those that try it; perhaps paying for a type rating and a reduced salary for a couple of years could become paying for a type rating, no salary or expenses during training, reduced salary for 3-5 years and so on.

What worries current pilots is the detrimental effect this has on pilot terms and conditions as a whole. It drags the whole renumeration package down, even if it be by lower salary scales introduced for new joiners. Again, market forces maybe, but terms and conditions are what you can negotiate, not what a company can (claim to) afford and this is where making a united stand pays dividends.

So just going back to the individual and risk, be under no illusion that getting a shiny jet type rating does not guarantee a job and this is another unacceptable side to paying for type ratings. Glossy ads and starry eyes need to be focussed to fully understand the implications of paying for your own type rating. I know a couple of individuals who have paid for a 737 type rating who are finding it just as difficult to get work now as they were before shelling out many more thousands o try to secure the dream. Problem is that many companies tie themselves to a training provider and offer you a job based on you getting a type rating through their scheme. They obviously make a return on this business so if you turn oup with a brand new type rating and no experience on it you are in effect going to lose them income so they are not interested. Add this to the detrimental effect that having a 737/A320 type rating will have on your 'Loganair' application and all of a sudden you are left carrying all the cost and the risk and possibly still no nearer that first job.

Food for thought I think and although I would never say never to someone asking advice about paying for a type rating I always try to point out the associated risks and let the individual try to make a reasoned dicision based on all the implications.

PP

yyzdub
18th Jun 2004, 16:35
PP.

Always a flip side to the coin.

Well said. Thanks.

YYZDUB

blu1
19th Jun 2004, 05:56
Got a reply from Alteon yesterday stating they have completed the initial selection of the applicants they want to screen. I was not among the chosen ones. Anyone out there who was?

They must have had my e-mail from Ryan Air, since I never applied via Alteons homepage.

yyzdub
19th Jun 2004, 15:51
I heard that their course is starting July 14th and the next selection process will begin late December early January if all goes well with this one.

duckundweg
21st Jun 2004, 12:44
Recieved an email stating that i need to update my entries in the database. My mail didn't state anything about when it will be closed, only "we are processing your application at the moment" :p

duweg

moku
21st Jun 2004, 13:42
Received the same automated email this morning, I say automated as it was sent at 0220 this morning!
Second email I have received from them in a few days.
:D

Moku

FLYbyWIT
21st Jun 2004, 13:45
I just got a reference number, any ideas???? is this what you guys got.

Poontang Luva
21st Jun 2004, 20:13
I got the same please update your details email this morning. My friend got it aswell, then this afternoon he got the thanks but we've made our selections etc (or something similar).

An interesting note in it said all those that didnt get called up this time but applied before June 18 will still be up for consideration for their second intake.......... Thats positive.

blu1
21st Jun 2004, 21:30
I got two e-mails as well. One from Alteon Training stating I was not chosen for the SIM screening.

This morning I got an e-mail from Sigmar Aviation with a reference number stating my application "is being processed at the moment".

It appears Alteon and Sigmar may have a coordination problem or what?

Poontang Luva
23rd Jun 2004, 11:13
Has anyone heard anything positive from Alteon/Sigmar?

I know of 2 people who received the 'update your details' email, only to get another email shortly after from Jane Dodd stating they were unsuccessful this time around. :(

I've not heard a thing and wondering if this is a case of no news is good news, as it seems they are contacting unsuccessful applicants.....

Having said that if the course is supposed to start mid July, arn't they cutting things a bit fine??

Peggy Murphy
23rd Jun 2004, 15:33
Just as I said 'nothing to get excited about' Ever heard of the phrase...........'Dangling a carrott'

eagerbeaver
23rd Jun 2004, 15:42
i got the update your details but heard nothing since.
I have to agree with peggy. I doubt anybody has been called along.

FLYbyWIT
23rd Jun 2004, 16:19
Keep the faith
Hey guys, Yep I just got that one now, But am slightly bewildered at the bit at the bottom for Skills, Where it wants the 10 most relevant naming all different types of aircraft. I am recently out of FTO and have obviously flown none of these types-Did all your applications look so blank?????????

moku
23rd Jun 2004, 17:34
Yeah I had fun trying to fill out that section. I managed to leave two blank spaces.

Flyby, glad you finally got the email sorted out.

Moku.

FLYbyWIT
23rd Jun 2004, 19:07
2 blank spaces, geez I be lucky if I fill 2 spaces. The selections are weird, All I can get is Fatpl or electrician or pilot and the 500 hr thingy but these look like very strange ways of requesting info, I am guessing this is the bases of their selection. As far as jet types go I am at a huge disadvantage,but hopefully that fresh outta skool angle may work.

moku
24th Jun 2004, 13:40
Have word from a friend that they are now making the calls for sim evals. He got the call. So there is movement!!

Moku.

Birdseed123
25th Jun 2004, 08:23
Yep I heard the same, soon as anyone has had a go at the sim check could they give us a clue what to expect?

Thanks

BS

Global Pilot
28th Jun 2004, 06:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe sim assesment is next Sunday, July4. If the course starts July14 that gives all those lucky enough to be employed elsewhere 10days to give notice to their employers. Still I guess 10 days notice in McDonalds is plenty in that they hire you in 10minutes!

best of luck in the sim!

M.85
28th Jun 2004, 11:00
I sent their application/email directly to the BIN!

Regards to all of you looking for a job,

M.85

FougaMagister
29th Jun 2004, 16:36
M.85 - I would gladly have done the same if I was already flying 737s for SkyEurope! ;)

Cheers

michaelknight
29th Jun 2004, 19:08
O'Leary will put Sky Europe in the BIN, just wait.

MK

toro01
4th Jul 2004, 17:58
has anyone gone for the sim ride and interviews with alteon? Ther courses were supposed to start mid july

moku
5th Jul 2004, 21:48
toro01,

Yep sim assessments have started. The person I know has been already. I guess they are just waiting for the results now.

Courses start on July 19th and another around the first week of August.

Moku.