PDA

View Full Version : ICAO codes in pprune postings

mark147
10th Jun 2004, 18:44
Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! It ain't big and it ain't clever.

I'm sure everyone knows the code of their home base. People probably know one or two others, especially if they've filed flight plans to them, but please, if you're going to mention an airfield, use its NAME. All airfields have them and they give a handy clue as to the location of the place.

I probably know about a dozen of the places in my region, but I have no idea of the codes for airfields elsewhere. However, I'm still very interested in information about them, in case I want to fly there in the future. Saying things like "I flew up to EGCB last weekend and was charged 45 quid for landing" is of no use whatsoever. Similarly, "Hotels near LFAT" or "New terminal at EGJB".

Please can we use names? Pretty please?

Mark

Chilli Monster
10th Jun 2004, 18:51
You're a few months behind the drag curve - enjoy the following reading ;)

Airfield Codes (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122801)

Fly Stimulator
10th Jun 2004, 18:54
Here's (http://home.hccnet.nl/de.bock/iataicao.htm) some help.

klausk
10th Jun 2004, 20:47
It doesn't seem that anything has changed -- people still write in codes rather than names. Some of the members are NOT based in the UK or EU and therefore I can say that I have no clue where the airports mentioned in some posts are. Yes, I can take the books out and find out -- but that's not the point. I can also start writing about CZBB, CYHE or CYPK instead of putting in names, and my friends, be my guests and figure them out... :-) I do agree that geographic description of the airport locations would be extremely helpful...

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Jun 2004, 20:56
Oh dear and I have the audacity to sometimes leave of the country denominator on top of that!

FD

valenii
11th Jun 2004, 03:08
Names ?? really???

Give me codes anyday, you can punch them into your planning software and find information quickly, you can drive there in your plane using the silly DCT/GPSS function without knowing where you are going, and the names are normaly hard to pronounce overseas anyway.

Lets just go for codes!!!!

(This is intended to be TiC) ;)

Seriously Codes are hard to remember unless you try to see patterns,

e.g.
EG - Europe/GreatBritain
EGPF - Paisley Field
EGBT - Birmingham/Turweston
EGLD - London Denham
EGLF - London Farnbor'h
EGTB - Try Booker
EH - Europe/Holland
EHGG - Grotty Gronnegan
LF - Laidback France
LFAT - Average Touquet

How does everyone else remember them???

Penguina
11th Jun 2004, 05:33
Easy... EGGW = Gatwick!

Oh, hang on a minute........:confused:

BEagle
11th Jun 2004, 06:18
Thewn there are the "I'm a proper airliner-driving pilot 'cos I use BHX instead of EGBB to refer to Birrmigoom" brigade...

Thought it was called Elmdon, myself.

;) ;)

Yes, names please, not code. And NEVER use txtmsg yoof-speak such as 'u' for 'you', 'm8' for 'mate', 'i' for 'I' etc, etc.

FNG
11th Jun 2004, 07:00
Couldn't agree more. Next we'll be seeing people using acronyms as pprune names. Shocking.

Evo
11th Jun 2004, 07:10
Welcome to Acronym Search

4 records were found matching FNG
FNG F**king New Guy [slang]
FNG Former Navy Gal / Former Navy Guy
FNG Fondation Nationale de Gérontologie
FNG Futile Noble Gesture [slang]

Not so N, but still FG?

FNG
11th Jun 2004, 07:14
Used to be option 1, but these days it's mostly option 3, with occasional option 4.

As for the personal title, this could be misinterpreted as a reference to my domestic arrangements (Guy sends hugs, by the way), but, again, has more to do with gerontology.

sharpshot
11th Jun 2004, 07:36
Well Mark 147 - thanks for the dig:E :E :E

Some of us have to use both IATA and ICAO codes in our day to day lives - oops sorry, there's two new four letter codes you're obviously going to struggle with:ok:

It's a heck of a lot easier to type GCTS rather than write that one out in FULL!

I don't notice you reprimanding your fellow compadres who have dreamed up Le2k:confused:

P.S. Check airliners.net for some useful tips with it spelt out for you

Last edited from a small room at EG??

Whirlybird
11th Jun 2004, 07:48
You can use ICAO codes, or acronyms, or write in French or Gaelic or medieval Mongolian if you like...just don't expect the rest of us to join in! I mean, maybe this is a wee bit odd, but I had this strange idea that the purpose of PPRune threads was communication. You can talk to yourself without bothering to type. And...there was this thread about LFAT, but not being quite sure if it was Le Touquet without looking it up, I decided not to write about the nice place we stayed in there...in case it was...dunno, Perpignan or something. :) Now, of course, maybe the instigator of that thread didn't want answers from those lesser beings who don't know ICAO codes because they only use them when they're actually flying, and then they write them down. But I'm not going to clutter my overworked brain cells remembering them, thank you.

So there you are - free speech, your choice...if you want us to reply, say things in a way we can understand; if not, continue to use ICAO codes. :D ;) :)