PDA

View Full Version : Oxford and Cabair???

Night Rider
4th Feb 2001, 20:37
I`m thinking of persueing a career as a Flying Instructor (for Commercial and IR Training) and have thought about applying to Oxford and Cabair for a job. Any comments on what these schools (or any other schools) are like to work for (pay, conditions etc) would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Kit

zzzz
4th Feb 2001, 21:56
Cabair seems to work thier commercial instructors very hard, and a couple of years ago had a very quick turn around of staff, which isn't always a good sign.

Oxford appears to be slightly more professional, and an instructor who I know works for them has been their for donkeys years and seems to enjoy it!

Sorry I cannot comment on pay etc.

Adrian
5th Feb 2001, 00:05
From what I've heard lately, if your not ex-military, then Oxford is a waste of time unless you want to be teaching single engine basics for all eternity. Is this true?

rolling circle
5th Feb 2001, 00:38
No, Adrian, load of cr@p. Neither of the ME Senior Flight Instructors have any military experience, nor does the VFR CFI or either of his SFIs.

All you need to do to get ahead at Oxford these days is to fly all the hours God sends and remember not to log it after you reach the legal maximum. Whether you can teach or not no longer seems to matter.

If past experience is anything to go by, you will probably also have to be prepared to work illegally in the USA.

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Feb 2001, 00:51
Just as a matter of interest BAE Sytems in Jerez is recruiting for instructors and will continue to do so for some time. 1000hrs TT and 500hrs instructional are the min requirements.

Its a great school and I've had a cracking 12 months with them.

Good luck,

Adrian
6th Feb 2001, 01:51
Ok, I stand corrected, just the impression I got from others lately.

moggie
9th Feb 2001, 14:07
Further to the note from WWW, I recommend that you take a look at BAE. I've been with the company 4 years and their pay rates are about the same as every one else (or probably slightly better in my experience). Add to that the lower copst of living and itīs no bad bet.

You will have to work but won't be asked to work over the legal maximum number of hours.

In addition, I recently heard from a manager at CSE that OATS was up for sale once more - nice secure future?????????

kalik
11th Feb 2001, 14:46
Heard last week that BAe were in trouble financially down in Jerez .

Something about being either in the red to the tune of Ģ19M or overbudget by Ģ19M .

Any truth to these rumours ?

moggie
12th Feb 2001, 13:45
kalik -

simple answer - NO.

Next rumour?

Qhunter
15th Feb 2001, 13:04
I had also heard that after a recent shake up at Oxford, only ex military instructors were to teach MEPL & IR ratings. The rumour tied in nicely with a stream of non ex-military instructors banging on our door asking for jobs. So, if the rumour is incorrect, why the sudden interest in us by Oxford instructors for what by comparison is a poorly paid job

[This message has been edited by Qhunter (edited 15 February 2001).]