PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth x-wind limit

False Capture
9th Jun 2004, 21:27
Whilst reading a book about tailwheel aircraft I came across the following comment: "Crosswind take-off, the maximum crosswind component for the DH82 is 7mph from the left and 12 mph from the right". Can someone please put me out of my misery by answering the following questions.

Firstly, I have never seen any official x-wind limit for the Tiger Moth - only recommendations in Flying Club Orders, Ops Manuals, etc. Has anybody seen a x-wind limit in an official publication such as RAF or RAAF Pilots Notes/ RAF Instructor Manual/ De Havilland Owners Manual?

Secondly, if there is a split limit (ie. 7mph left/12 mph right) then surely the author has got it the wrong way round. The propeller on a Tiger rotates in an anti-clockwise direction (when viewed from the cockpit) which results in the aircraft's nose yawing to the right on take-off. Assuming a x-wind will weather-cock the aircraft's nose into wind, a wind from the left will help to restore some of the engine induced yawing tendency. As a result a stronger x-wind from the left rather than the right would be expected. Shouldn't the limit be 12 mph from left and 7 mph from right?

It's been a long day and I've obviously missed something - I'll look at it tomorrow and it'll all make sense. Thanks.

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Jun 2004, 21:43
Dunno about the values but agree with your observation about the left right issue.

FD

vintage ATCO
10th Jun 2004, 08:10
Just had this discussion within the Moth Club about crosswind limits in the light of our Charity Flying Weekend this weekend at Old Warden. Club Secretary has stated 'The DH82A manuals identify no limiting speed for a cross wind anyway.'

A and C
10th Jun 2004, 08:26
When the manual was writen it was just assumed that we would all do the sensible thing and land into wind.

vintage ATCO
10th Jun 2004, 08:43
Good point

(extra filling for the message)

QNH 1013
10th Jun 2004, 18:39
I hope the book made it clear that these values are for grass. Don't try these sorts of crosswinds on tarmac in a Tiger Moth.
Also, the Tiger Moth needs left rudder to keep straight during the take-off roll (full-power), but the throttle is normally shut before the flare, when landing. Even a power-on "wheeler" landing (for blustery crosswinds) will only use a small amount of power.

djpil
12th Jun 2004, 04:09
The old Australian Flight Manual gives a 10 kt limit for take-off and landing and that's enough for me on a sealed runway.