PDA

View Full Version : cirrus SR22 G2?

Bearcat
9th Jun 2004, 17:59
Pal of mine is thinking of buying a cirrus SR22 G2. Tells me they are FAA approved and awaiting JAR cert. You guys know the score....whats the story on this machine. The engine is a big continental and has got all the bells and whistles....He was toying with a 2nd hand TB but wants something brand new. Appreciate any feedback as I havent a clue what to avise him.

I prefer my super cub!

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Jun 2004, 18:13
I havent a clue what to avise him.

I prefer my super cub!

B,

Stay good mates and enjoy the diversity that you will have by having access to both planes.

Not flown a G2 (only the 20 and 22) and they are magnificent tourers. Fast and easy to fly state of the art.

Cubs are very good at flying missions with a completely different profile.

The good thing about flying is that there are so many different angles to it that everyone can fill their boots with whatever floats their boat.

FD

PS Review article on the G2 in this month's Flyer magazine. EASA approval has been granted last month to the 22.

Fly Stimulator
9th Jun 2004, 18:18
I havent a clue what to avise him. A good start in that case might be to advise him to ask somebody else for advice. ;)

This month's edition of 'Flyer' has a review of the G2.

There are a number of threads here concerning the Cirrus, two of which are 'live' at the moment. The search facility will find them.

FD,

I think it was the other way around - the initial EASA approval is for the 20, the 22 is still waiting.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
9th Jun 2004, 18:56
No ADF = No IFR within UK CAS

2Donkeys
9th Jun 2004, 21:32
It is indeed the SR20 that now has EASA certification status. Announced formally on June 1st. The SR22 is still waiting in the wings - but we can assume that it won't be long now.

2D

ANDY CUBIN
10th Jun 2004, 16:57
I got to fly it for the Flyer article - it was a hoot!

Nice a quiet inside and a real pleasure to fly, especially if you like side sticks, and the tellys - yahoo!

Mega bucks tho

AC

valenii
11th Jun 2004, 02:49
No ADF = No IFR within UK CAS

This is much less of a problem now, as the after market add on kit for the Cirrus is becoming well understood.

If you want to have ADF DME in your cirrus its now quite easy. The King DME is a remote unit that slaves off the Garmin VOR/LOC/ILS frequencies and auto tunes to the DME.

It then reliably displays the DME on a little panel annunciator.

If you want the ADF if can be fitted in the "bolster" in the P2 side of the aircraft and displayed either on the PFD or on the "spare" engine guage (blank socket)

I think DME is good stuff, as it can be clearer than the multiple waypoint distances displayed by the rest of the kit - less possibility for confusion in cockpit (maybe). The ADF however is pointless, most airways flying today would never use an ADF for en-route navigation, and for approaches, they are very inaccurate as everyone knows!

But you can get it all for a Cirrus of you like this stuff.....

I personally make a point of never flying NDB approaches in real IMC. I like precision......

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Jun 2004, 06:32
Apparently the Dutch CAA has followed the example of the FAA and dropped the ADF/DME requirement for IFR flight. No doubt that will permeate onto these shores at some point by virtue of EASA.

FD

TonyR
11th Jun 2004, 07:54
Had a flight in the SR22, excellent aircraft faster than our TB20 yet easy to slow down.

Keep it on the "N" reg if you have any sense.

Why the hell do you want an ADF? are you afraid of missing the "Archers"?.

valenii
11th Jun 2004, 10:00
It would be intesting to find out if ANYONE flying IFR in CAS in the the modern era is actually USING an Approximate Direction Finder to actualy navigate!

For en-route, pretty much all the airways are VORs and Intersections.

Ok on some approachs, the initial Fix may still be an NDB but often they are getting replaced by VORs or moved to simply be an "intersection" as busy airports need multiple STARs and each starts in a different place, they arn't building new NDBs to mark these fixes!

I hope EASA wake up and standardise the IFR equipment list across Europe. DME I think has some safety arguments to be actually fitted, and certainly some approaches depend on it, but I've always struggled with the benefits of the investment in the ADF. When you try following one in a modern airplane, the aircraft actually shows you how inaccurate they are! Its frightening, you can end up flying curves and corners (due to reception anomolies) when it should be a straight line!

In a Cirrus its like fitting world war two technology to the space shuttle.

Ian