PDA

View Full Version : Night rating

B clam
26th Nov 2000, 01:30
I have an UK ATPL/IR with a SEP class rating and an unrestricted FI(A)rating. Before my airline days I was a A2 cat RAF QFI and I obtained the FI rating by passing the relevant test.(My RAF instructor experience exempted me from a dedicated FI course).

As I've said before on this forum there seems to be a grey area when applying military experience to civilian qualifications and I'm confused as to what I'm allowed to teach. I haven't a specific night rating but because I've got an unrestricted FI rating can I fly and teach night flying?

I am about to start doing some part time instruction and would like to know what I can and cannot do.

I've tried looking through the AICs and other relevant sites but to no avail.

Thanks in anticipation

juswonnafly
26th Nov 2000, 02:01
B Clam, to teach the night rating you must have a night rating and a night teaching qualification attached to your licence.

The night teaching bit is simply one hour flying and 2 hours ground school at an approved FIC school.

Hope this helps

JWF

foxmoth
26th Nov 2000, 03:14
My Fi rating says "no night" in the restrictions section, if yours does not say that (probably because of the service training) you can teach night (the ATPL qualifies you for night flying anyway).

[This message has been edited by foxmoth (edited 25 November 2000).]

Noggin
26th Nov 2000, 03:51
As the holder of an ATPL you have a Night Qualification. Night ratings are a thing of the past. If you obtained your FI rating on the basis of a Service QFI qualification, it will be unrestricted, in other words, unless it says No Night flying in Part XII, then you can give instruction in night flying.

As your IR is Multi pilot, unless you also have a valid single pilot IR, then you will have to meet the 90 day recency requirement of one out of three take offs and landings in the past 90 days at night,if you wish to carry passengers. A student is of course crew and not a passenger.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 25 November 2000).]

B clam
26th Nov 2000, 15:55
Thanks to all, I'm sure I'll get the hang of the rules and regs one day!

Noggin, for the night recency does my night landings as 'sole manipulator of the controls'in my 757 count? I am a F/O not PIC.

[This message has been edited by B clam (edited 26 November 2000).]

Noggin
27th Nov 2000, 00:29
No, they have to be in the same Class or Type.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2000, 19:45
If you think you've ever got the hang of the regs Bclam it's because they haven't told you about the last change yet.

G

Meeb
28th Nov 2000, 20:22
juswonnafly, the night instructor rating was 3 hours training with an FIC, not 1 hour, there is no test.

Noggin, the chap is asking about teaching for a night rating, not whether he can himself fly at night. He of course can fly at night by virtue of having an ATPL. As for teaching the night rating to a PPL student, he still requires the night instructors rating. As foxmouth says B clam, check your FI rating and see what 'restrictions' you have as I am pretty sure military QFI's only are exempt training, but still have to be tested for the rating, plus the add ons like Aeros, IF restriction removal etc.

B clam
28th Nov 2000, 23:35
Meeb,

You are correct that we are exempt the trg and only have to do the test. That I did when I was still in the RAF. my FI rating is unrestricted as stated in section XII of my ATPL.
As I haven't flown a SEP class a/c at night what do I need to do to renew? - Just the one night t/o and landing?

Noggin
28th Nov 2000, 23:57
Meeb you seem to have contradicted yourself, in the first sentence you say there is no test, then in the second sentence,you say "but still have to be tested for the rating"

I think my comments relate to instructing, however, for good measure, I pointed out that to carry passengers he will have to meet the 90 day recency rule in the Class.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 28 November 2000).]

Meeb
29th Nov 2000, 20:51
Noggin, I said there is no test for the Night Instructors rating, however, there is a test to remove Instrument Instruction removal and to teach Aeros, those are the ones which require a test. If I confused you sorry, I did not mean a test was required for the night rating, only for the other 'add ons'!

[This message has been edited by Meeb (edited 29 November 2000).]

Noggin
30th Nov 2000, 02:00
There is no test for Aeros. You complete the course with an FIC instructor and get signed off on Instructor Form 1

Meeb
30th Nov 2000, 19:55
Oops, yes you are right Noggin, gee its so long since I did all that stuff! (My excuse and I am sticking to it :) )

3 Point
5th Dec 2000, 13:49
B Clam,

I'm also an ATPL/Military QFI. If your FI rating has not got a restriction (as will be the case for a B1 or higher QFI)on night flying instruction you can teach it provided you yourself are qualified and current to fly at night. Your ATPL qualifies you so as long as you are current (SEP rating and recency) as noted above you are legal. Bit of practice first might be a good plan though! Just a thought.