PDA

View Full Version : Police looking for crew after light aircraft crash

newswatcher
9th Jun 2004, 11:24
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/3789829.stm) reporting no sign of crew after light aircraft made unscheduled landing near Cambridgeshire/Northamptonshire border.

The aeroplane was a Rans S6 Coyote, two-seater, single-engined aircraft, registration G-BVIN.

eal401
9th Jun 2004, 11:29
Surely the G-INFO database would be a start?

See also: CAA / British Aircraft Registration Search (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/aircraft_register/ginfo/search.asp)

747-444
9th Jun 2004, 11:38
Alien Abduction . . .?

Tallbloke
9th Jun 2004, 11:56
I wonder what the point of departure was and what was in the back.....

DeepC
9th Jun 2004, 12:02
Owner from Bedford, Flying a Microlight. Hundreds of Microlights overfly my house on the Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire border. flying out of Sandy.

With that info it does not sound very suspicious.

DeepC

Dewdrop
9th Jun 2004, 12:04
Could it be this one ? http://www.littlegransden.flyer.co.uk/pfa/mstott.htm

Oshkosh George
9th Jun 2004, 15:16
It is indeed--if you click on the pic,you can read the registration.

FWA NATCA
9th Jun 2004, 17:03
Sort of reminds me of one of my midnight shifts when the police department calls me and ask me if I'm missing any aircraft, being the ever watchful controller that I am, I respond, "NO", why do you ask. The officer then tells me that they found a C172 that had crashed in the middle of a corn field that was completely demolished. I asked if there was anyone still in the airplane, and he said "NO", that when they discovered the wreckage that no one was in or around the crashed airplane.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Cathar
9th Jun 2004, 17:46
I am surprised that the BBC think that the Air Accident Investigation Branch is part of the CAA.

BoeingMEL
9th Jun 2004, 18:12
Not a very common name Stott.... wonder if it's Air UK ex F27 FO MIke Stott?

Hansard
9th Jun 2004, 18:34
Husband and wife (unhurt) left the aircraft to arrange a lift home after running out of fuel and putting it down in a field en route to Risley, according to the local newspaper.

Aussie Andy
9th Jun 2004, 19:24
Storm, Teacup, Yawn ;)

blue up
9th Jun 2004, 19:47
When someone parked my plane in a field (Carb icing), there were enough calls from locals to get 3 helos and 14 fire engines out. Only made the INSIDE pages of the local rag. Driver has buggered off to get a trailer by the time the first fire tender arrived.

"Mystery surrounds aircraft crash"

Yawn

astir 8
10th Jun 2004, 07:40
Two of my mates ran out of lift in their glider a couple of weeks ago. They popped it, totally undamaged (as usual) into a field up near Husbands Bosworth, saw the farmer, phoned for their trailer and stretched out in the sun next to the glider to wait.

Next thing, sound of helicopter plus heavy breathing. Opened eyes to find out of breath policeman who had run across the field from his car, plus police helicopter hovering overhead.

Apparently a 999 call had been received "an aircraft has crashed into a field and two people are lying next to it"

Oh dear. Do we need a "negative 999" number to ring to say "there hasn't been an accident"?

Airbus Girl
10th Jun 2004, 08:22
When I flew from Booker it was quite normal for the local police to get regular calls from 'helpful' members of the public driving up the M40 saying glider/ aircraft has 'crashed' into field. The airfield is adjacent to the M40 and sometimes the approach is over it.

The police would call us and when we asked if the reports had been near junction 4, it was always the case. It always took some convincing to assure them that all the fleet were accounted for.

vintage ATCO
10th Jun 2004, 09:05
am surprised that the BBC think that the Air Accident Investigation Branch is part of the CAA.

They always do :rolleyes:

Oh dear. Do we need a "negative 999" number to ring to say "there hasn't been an accident"?

Almost. We had a very minor mishap at a very small event at Old Warden once and just let the on-site services deal with it. The outside services took 30 calls from a very small crowd and turned up in force. We would have to ring them now to say they were not needed.

I believe after one, albeit serious, accident at the Biggin Hill Air Fair the emergency services took over 300 calls from mobile phone users in the crowd. Do these people not think that robust procedures are in place?

eal401
10th Jun 2004, 09:16
Must remember if I see an aircraft in an unexpected place to do nothing and leave it to someone else. Obviously the preferred option. :rolleyes:

Grainger
10th Jun 2004, 09:17
What p*sses me off is the BBC publishing the aircraft reg. in the report. If there was a motorway pileup, would they publish the licence plates of the cars involved ? I don't think so. :mad:

SwanFIS
10th Jun 2004, 09:43
eal401

Slightly of thread but as a point of interest I had a pilot talking to me on Lon Info last week who reported an a/c down in a field with no signs of people or habitation anywhere near. He thought it unusual but was afraid that his report might "start something of".

Position, type and colour of a/c was passed on to D&D who said they appreciated the info and logged it. As they said it could save a lot of time and expense later if that a/c is reported overdue at his intended dest.

dublinpilot
10th Jun 2004, 10:34
Well, it's good to know that if someone saw me make a forced landing, that they would call the emergency services. I'd be glad of that!

dp

Pub User
10th Jun 2004, 10:34
Interstingly it is a requirement for military helicopters, when landing away from a normal landing site, to inform the local police. The reason is exactly as discussed above: to prevent the unnecessary involvement of emergency services.

In these days of simple mobile communications it would be a simple matter for anyone to inform the police if they landed in a field. It is, after all, not exactly normal, and it is perfectly understandable for a local resident to call the police when they see an aeroplane disappearing behind a nearby hedge that they know is not an airfield.

It could almost be classed as airmanship, common courtesy or indeed common sense.

Snigs
10th Jun 2004, 11:16
Question:

If a Mayday call was issued then wouldn't ATC have informed the emergency services anyway. If no call was made (why not!?) then I agree a courtesy call to the police would have been sensible!

Big Hilly
10th Jun 2004, 11:24
Snigs,If no call was made (why not!?) Maybe no radio, maybe radio U/S, maybe no time - remember in an emergency 'communicate' is at the very bottom of the list of priorities. . . .

Best wishes,

BH

R1200GS
10th Jun 2004, 11:44
Some time ago I visited a microlight strip north of London for a trial flight. My gf came along for a flight as well. Off she went with the instructor and left me basking in the sun, all alone at the airfield.

A visiting microlight landed and the pilot came over and we had a brief chat. Ten minutes later he took off and had an EFATO, disappearing into a wood (or so it appeared from my viewpoint).

What to do? I was on my own, I didn't know the lie of the land, didn't have any transport available, it might have taken me 10 minutes to run there and find him, and as far as I knew I was the only person who had witnessed it. If I had gone to find him and then discovered that he needed urgent medical attention I would then have had to run back to the airfield to make the call (I didn't have a mobile).

So I found the office phone in the portacabin and called the emergency services. I figured that they would send a police car or ambulance out to find him. Instead they said 'we'll send the helicopter'.

Just then the airfield owner arrived and asked me 'what the **** are you doing on the phone?' So I told him and he did his nut. He said that you don't call the emergency services for these things, as they happen 'all the time'. Apparently he didn't want the police helo annoying his neighbours.

So obviously I shouldn't have bothered dialling 999 :confused:

Dave

PS Pilot was okay - he landed in a field behind the wood. :)

PPS The helo later landed at the field and the airfield owner apologised to the crew on my behalf, telling them within my earshot that I was a visitor to the airfield and basically didn't know my @rse from my elbow. They then all sat there drinking tea in the sun whilst studiously ignoring me. :mad: So needless to say I decided that I would not be learning to fly at that particular airfield! :yuk:

J.A.F.O.
10th Jun 2004, 12:08
So needless to say I decided that I would not be learning to fly at that particular airfield!Quite right too, what a to$$er he was.

Do we need a "negative 999" number to ring to say "there hasn't been an accident"? We have one it's called 999 - I'm sure that if you were to call and say "Just popped into this field due to ..............., no-one's hurt, we're just waiting for a lift." Then they'd take note of that and not send the cavalry, they could also tell the well intentioned public who called up in their millions that all was okay and everything in hand. I agree with Pub User that it is good airmanship to make the local authorities aware.

I'm sure that the helicopter crews involved in the above incidents wouldn't mind, though. They get to fly, they'd rather find two unhurt aviators right now than receive reports of two bodies found next morning, and they get to drink tea somewhere different (something many of us pay £100 a time to do).

Instrument Ranting
10th Jun 2004, 12:09
ah, the sweet sound of pprune media bashing.

If this story is such a non event and yawn - why are you reading it and indeed posting a reply?

The BBC didn't decide to publish the reg, the police did. The media rarely overrule a police decision to put something into the public domain

R1200GS, isn't a worry how often you come across that kind of complacency at flying clubs? Staggering that they are now into a situation where they are happy to ignore an efato because it is routine!! First aid (by definition) is time critical...had the pilot been in trouble your call could have saved his life.

IR

FNG
10th Jun 2004, 12:10
R12, that bloke sounds like the typical knob-like GA business owner, unfortunately.

As for the two whose exploit led to this thread, couldn't they have left a note? "Not dead. Gone to pub".

FWA NATCA
10th Jun 2004, 14:56
R1200GS,

Here in the U.S. we would rather call out the emergency equipment and find out that it wasn't needed, than not to and find out that it was needed. What will happen if a civilian calls emergency service that they might have seen an airplane go down, prior to dispatching the emergency equipment, the dispatcher will contract the nearest Air Traffic Facility and ask if we had anyone go down, or have we received any reports of a downed aircraft.

My opinon you did the right thing!

Mike
NATCA FWA

Whirlybird
10th Jun 2004, 15:15
R1200GS,

You DEFINITELY did the right thing. :ok: OK, I know microlight pilots take engine failures less seriously than some of the rest of us. But how would you, or anyone else, have felt if you hadn't called anyone and the pilot had been injured or killed? I saw a microlight EFATO fairly recently; we called the emergency services and then dashed over to the field...he would have made it, but he'd hit a hidden ditch and crashed. He was hurt, though not that badly, but he was totally disorientated and didn't know where he was or what had happened. Not a great situation to be in, when everyone else is ignoring you because it's considered routine. That airfield owner is an idiot...and a few other things that I won't bother writing as they'll get censored.

R1200GS
10th Jun 2004, 15:52
Ever since the incident (about 4 years ago) I have mostly thought that I did the right thing, but there's always been a doubt in the back of my mind because of that airfield owner's attitude.

Sadly, I read about a fatal accident at this airfield recently. I did wonder whether they bothered calling the emergency services. :(

FNG
10th Jun 2004, 15:55
I was wrong to describe him as just a typical GA knob, as this is unfair to the ordinary GA knobs. This one sounds like a menace. I think that you did the right thing in the circumstances you describe.

J.A.F.O.
10th Jun 2004, 18:47
R1200GS - No doubt at all that you did the right thing and I don't believe that any of the emergency services would question your actions for one second.

FAW NATCA - Same here.

bar shaker
10th Jun 2004, 21:15
Never had to do it (yet) but I think a negative 999 call is definitely in order. Someone injured may actually need that Air Ambulance.

On another note, "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

bs

astir 8
11th Jun 2004, 12:50
Out of interest, has anyone tried a "negative 999" call?

I have a nasty feeling that the operator would deliver a b******ing for misusing the emergency number.

Phoenix09
11th Jun 2004, 13:59
I have a nasty feeling that the operator would deliver a b******ing for misusing the emergency number.

A negative 999 call in the circumstances discussed does not constitute a 'misuse' of the 999 system.

There is a slight problem in that if a 999 call has already been received then we will not turn back appliances on receipt of a second call stating that it was a forced landing. We may reduce the pre-determined attandance from 3 fire appliances, 1 rescue support vehicle and 1 foam tender to just one appliance but you can never be completely certain that the callers are not talking about completely seperate incidents. Unlikely but possible and you can imagine the outcry if we failed to attend or if, for whatever reason, the aeroplane later caught fire.

Having attended many an aircraft incident one of the biggest factors from the point of view of the emergency services is actually locating the incident. Many passers-by are completely unaware of their exact location and the message passed to us by D & D or ATC can be fairly vague, 4 miles north of X can be a very large area to search on the ground, especially if the aeroplane comes down some way from a road. An air support unit is definitely the answer but these are not always available due to other committments.

If I ever have to make a forced landing I am going to make sure that it is in a nice long field, next to a road, and beside a pub because a) emergency service personnel always know all the pubs and b) I think that I will be in need of a drink!!! :D :D

I once attended a PA28 that had lost its propellor over Junction 10 of the M4. The pilot carried out a very nice forced landing into a field alongside the motorway which produced multiple calls to the emergency services. I would say that almost 50% of the callers could not give their exact location, with the vast majority not knowing which junction they were between or which direction they were travelling in eg. east or west bound. At least two callers even gave the wrong motorway!

whatunion
11th Jun 2004, 14:06
ah the police, what would we do without them.

a club member had a bad crash after an engine failure, hitting power lines and falling into a field. he was thrown out of the a/c.
when he came to, his foot was up by his shoulder. there was a poilceman with a bicycle standing over him.

"Excuse me sir, did you come out if that aircraft" he said

J.A.F.O.
11th Jun 2004, 16:17
Astir - You could not be more wrong, there isn't another sentence that can be constructed using the English language which would be more incorrect. Elvis is alive and runs my local garage. No, not more wrong. Her Majesty the Queen has a part time job delivering pizza in Dagenham. No, still not less correct than your sentence.

I hope now that you're getting an idea of just how wrong you are. Try to imagine that you are the calltaker in whichever emergency service control room you get through to, what would you rather do - listen to calls from 18 well meaning members of the public with no idea of where they are or what is wrong with the aircraft and then try to construct a coherent story from their wildly different reports or get the facts?

whatunion
13th Jun 2004, 00:18
are you sure her majesty delivers pizzas in dagenham, i thought they only ate jellied eels and chips out there!.

PS can you ask elvis for an autograph on a mot certificate