PDA

View Full Version : PA38 approaches

Lawyerboy
21st Nov 2000, 20:37
Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Questions forum, but here goes:

Reading about the Dash 7 and its 7.5 degree ILS certification has set me thinking: what gradient is a normal approach in a PA38 carried out at? To me it appears much steeper than some of the approaches I've witnessed in far larger aircraft, but I'm not entirely sure whether that's just 'cos the traumahawk is smaller so it just 'seems that way' and 'cos I'm the one at the controls...?

Avenger
21st Nov 2000, 20:47
It depends on what you would class a normal approach! Flying the trauma, I notice that at a sensible power setting, with full flap and 7okts the thing does maintain the G/s and speed, so I guess the angle is about 3degrees.
Having checked a few to solo, I did notice that they tend to cut short the base leg and throw it at the ground, pwr almost off gives a nice 6 degree prod at the earth.

------------------

Lawyerboy
21st Nov 2000, 20:55
Sounds about right; I'm of the 'aim at the ground and hope you don't miss' school of landing so I guess some of my approaches do tend to be a bit on the steep side :). Doesn't seem to do the thing too much harm, though.

pondlife
21st Nov 2000, 21:49
I don't think that it's a PA38 makes it any different to any other simple single.
What constitutes a "normal" approach just depends what you call normal. I'd probably start teaching a powered approach at 3 or 4 degrees - on the steeper side if there are obstacles on the approach (or a built up area) which couldn't be cleared from a 3 degree slope if the engine fails.
What the student ends up with seems often to be a bit steeper than 3 degrees - especially in the later stages of the approach - but I wouldn't normally correct this unless it's turning into a glide approach.
Most instrument approaches are based on a 3 degree slope - occasionally a touch steeper, I can't remember having come accross a shallower one.

RVR800
22nd Nov 2000, 13:30
I dont think the PPA-38 is any different
either

With stage 1 flap at 70kts its easy to
maintain -325fpm descent equates to 3 degree
ILS with 10 kt headwind.

Its just a power-attitude thing