PDA

View Full Version : Just acouple of questions!!!

taildragger2
24th Jan 2001, 04:11
Hey Guys

First of all I would like to appologise for my general lack of knowledge when it comes to flight instruction! At present I'm half way through my JAA ATPL (A) groundschool and plan to have my CPL GFT finnished by the end of summer. After that if life were perfect I would do my instrument work, MCC and find a nice right hand seat with a well paid airliner but obviously things aint that simple! Instruction has always interested me ever since my RAF flying scholarship in 1996 but I hear so many horror stories about poor pay, poor A/C etc etc. First of all what is the pay like bearing in mind Im young (21), single and have no debts? Can you earn enough to live on? Is there any change of pay and conditions at different flight schools both home and abroad? Can I instruct under JAA before I have my instrument rating? Will the instructional hours be of any benefit when going for airline jobs? Is it true that having completed my A.F.I ( or JAA eqiv) I wont be short of job offers? I know there are alot of questions here but an answer to any will be very well recieved! Pilots that I've talked to both here and I the states hate instruction so much and I really can't understand this attitude, surely everyone has to start at the bottom and work their way up the ladder in the aviation world in general. Is it just silly snobbery or is instruction really not worth the effort? Thanks for you time...................................................Tailw inds.........STU

TooHotToFly
25th Jan 2001, 02:09
Pay - Not great, depending on where you go expect around £150 a week.

You don't need your IR to instruct. In fact some schools would prefer it if you didn't because they know that you're not about to rush off on an airline job.

Once you've got your FI (restricted) rating you shouldn't find it amazingly hard to get work. If you're prepared to travel and are looking around summertime you should be alright.

Hope that helps.

Noggin
25th Jan 2001, 02:31
Yes, you can instruct without an instrument rating, most PPL instructors fall into that category.

Will jobs flood in once qualified? Probably not, if you had 1000 hours or more instructing they might do, but the first job may require a little more effort.

Will it stand you in good stead with the airlines? Yes, it will give you the edge over someone who is not qualified.

Can you live on the pay? Clearly some do, but its a matter of how big your overheads are. PPL and Commercial instructing are quite different from a pay perspective, but you have to start at the PPL end.

Is it worth it? Of course it is, many regard it the top rather than the bottom rung as you put it. Many airline pilots instruct at weekends and when they retire. You can do it at almost any age provided you can pass the medical.

taildragger2
25th Jan 2001, 16:04
Noggin + Hot to fly!
Thanks for the responses guys. I just wanted to say In my opinion instruction isn't the bottom rung but many would say otherwise! I am commited to doing my FI once I finally manage to finish the ATPL groundschool and find the thought of instruction quite a challenge as I think many people forget that taking a zero hour novice and giving them the gift of flying solo once competent must be a very nice feeling (we all remember the first solo!). Do either of you know any schools that offer a good amount of hours? (Wx permitting) Also whats the score with instructing RAF flying scholarships? when I did mine my instructor Mike didn't have an I/R but would he have had an extra qualification or had to be checked out by one of the blue boys? Oh before I forget while Im looking at alternative flying work whats the score with parachute dropping or Tug pilots? I don't imagine theres much of a market in the UK but I have no overheads or commitments(other than a nagging girlfriend)so I could relocate abroad for a few years without any problems! I want to avoid at all costs going straight to the airlines because I hear of so many pilots losing their spark for aviation on a boring 737 taxi! Exciting and interesting flying for a few years before all that is an absolute must for me. I dont care about massive salarys for moment, I just want to do some real flying(no autopilot) and get plenty of hands on experience!!!!......................................Thanks once again..........Tailwinds

A Very Civil Pilot
25th Jan 2001, 23:14
To teach the RAF flying scholars, you need to be working for one of the schools that has the contract to fly them. After that it is 100 hours instructional time, and a flight/briefing competency check from the RAF Sqd Ldr to get signed off.

Noggin
26th Jan 2001, 02:12
Most of the FS schools are pleased to get extra instructors for the season, but you have to get your name on the list by March or you won't get checked out in time, usually in April. You will need the 100 hours before then, and ideally the Restriction removed as well.

DB6
26th Jan 2001, 04:14
The requirement was reduced last year to 50 hrs. You still have to pass the test of course. Doesn't matter about the restriction and depending on the turnover of instructors CFS visit more than once a year so getting checked out in March may not be necessary.
Cheers DB6

taildragger2
26th Jan 2001, 13:29
Cheers for all the responses guys. It doesn't look like i'll make it this year but next year I plan to be ready for March! Bring it on!..................Tailwinds.......TD