PDA

View Full Version : Gabon aircrash into the ocean

alexmcfire
8th Jun 2004, 11:19
Seem like an plane ditched into the ocean after start outside Libreville, 6 people has been fished up alive from the water,
30 onboard...

RASTAMIKE
8th Jun 2004, 12:16
Gabon Express's HS 748 that ditched...

Anybody heard of a crash in Cotonou? it seems that airport closed due to runway blocked

Treetopflyer
8th Jun 2004, 13:59
This morning around 0800Z, the HS748 of Gabon Express crashed near a beach north of Libreville. There were 27 POB, including 4 crew. All the crew are alive, and between 4 and 6 passengers have been fished out (at 1030Z, but the search continues).

The guys apparently had an engine failure during the initial climb, after a takeoff from runway 16 in Libreville. They turned back to land, but they were not quite aligned for runway 34, so they did a low pass with the gear down and a prop feathered, and announced they were aiming at the beach.

The aircraft sunk fairly quick, and only its tail remains out of the water now. Fishermen brought the first survivors back to the shore. Then the firemen and ambulances and policemen and their brothers arrived in a huge mess, without any real idea of what to do, or any equipment to do it... They essentially started turning around the wreck in a small Police boat, and they were still doing that 2h30 after the crash. The large crowd watching them from the beach was so pissed of against these so-called 'emergency services' that they almost started a riot...:(

wheels up
8th Jun 2004, 17:45
Does anyone know if it was a ZS aircraft?

Rhodie
8th Jun 2004, 20:13
Below posted on Rumours and News:

Aircraft was indeed a 748, the airline's sole example of the type. TR-LFW had been with them since December 2000; manufactured in 1967.

R

canileb
9th Jun 2004, 12:37
Very sad news coming from LBV...

Rastamike: Cotonou airport was closed for about 24 hours because an Air Ivoire F28 blew a tire on landing and could not be moved from the runway. Only one slight injury according to a statement by the airline...

Gunship
12th Jun 2004, 09:00
Libreville - A passenger plane that crashed off the coast of Libreville earlier in the week left 19 people dead among the 30 aboard, according to an official toll published in the daily government L'Union newspaper on Friday.

Of the 11 survivors who were taken to hospital following Tuesday's crash, most have already left, hospital sources said.

All the bodies have been recovered, an emergency services official told reporters. The last three corpses were washed up on a beach near where the plane crashed.

French, German and Lebanese nationals were among those killed in the crash. An inquiry has been opened by the prosecutor of Libreville.

The Hawker Siddeley 748 plane suffered apparent engine failure after take-off from Libreville on Tuesday morning. It was owned by a private Gabonese company.

29th Jun 2004, 21:21
Flight International reports that the aircraft was not insured!! The government subsequently grounded the companie's other HS748.
Not insured........???? Unreal...

Teignmouth
30th Jun 2004, 05:17
Problem is, insurance is a 2-way thing. You pay the premium, the insurance company will give you the insurance. Don't pay, the insurance gets cancelled. Wierd, isn't it?!

Was that for us?
17th Jul 2004, 10:32
Have it on good authority that the owner of Gabon express and the chief mechanic have been in prison since Tuesday!!!!!!

MercenaryAli
18th Jul 2004, 23:04
Well it is Africa after all - I operated in Africa (Gabon) for 3 years back in the early 1980's. Seems that not much has changed (improved) since those days! It might seem a silly question but - "Isn't a HS748 supposed to be a Performance "A" airplane and shouldn't that be able to fly safely on the one remaining engine?

V1 Rotate
19th Jul 2004, 07:07
Mercenary Ali

Of course the plane should have flown comfortably on one engine.....but that assumes that the plane is properly loaded and that the crew are properly trained............ but in this part of Africa.....................????

V1
:cool:

Treetopflyer
29th Jul 2004, 19:21
The captain is in prison as well.

As far as Perf A and flying on one engine are concerned: the only operative hydraulic pump that day was on the engine that failed (oops:uhoh: ). Hence the manual gear extension procedure was used. However, once on very short final, the crew still did not have the three greens. The captain decided to go around. It so happened that the gear was actually almost completely down. So that was one single-engine go-around with mucho drag out there, which probably explains why the bloody thing simply couldn't stay airborne.:hmm:

lokione
30th Jul 2004, 03:30
Can anyone tell me the name and nationality of the captain. Is that Bob Sobeks airline?

canileb
30th Jul 2004, 11:20
Yes, it was Bob's airline...

lokione
31st Jul 2004, 05:31
Hey canileb, I know some people that flew for him How could I find out the crew names? I am a bit concerned! Are Bob and the captain really in Jail?????????? I cant even begin to imagine what jail would be like there - :mad:

Was that for us?
31st Jul 2004, 06:05
As I understand it the HS 748 was in fact an Andover II.
So flying fare paying PAX in Non type certificated aircraft with no insurance and a gearbox disconnected doesnt even come near to being called an AIRLINE.

canileb
31st Jul 2004, 12:41
Yeah, that was some rogue outfit... Unfortunately, there are quite a few around here...

Bob and the director of the local CAA in jail. I am not sure about the captain but I think he's been arrested as well. Sorry, don't know the crew names.

Treetopflyer
4th Aug 2004, 18:34
It was definitely NOT an Andover, but a HS748. Bob did operate an Andover with Gabex in the past (reg 3C-), but he dropped it at least a year ago.

The captain is half-Congolese half-European, the only one employed by Bob in the past few years (this is enough to figure out who it is if you know Gabex). A guy with lots of experience in general, and on type as well.

Was that for us?
5th Aug 2004, 05:35
Treetopflyer you do know the difference between an Andover II and an Hs 748?

Was that for us?
7th Aug 2004, 18:14
Seems like Bob is not the only one sweating over the crash! His longstanding partner and friend is awaiting an audit of his Dart engine overhaul facility in South Africa by Veritas. There is some thing very wrong here! watch this space.

Sandiron
7th Aug 2004, 19:27
Got a name for that overhaul facility?

Deserted Rat
8th Aug 2004, 12:40
Isnt that fields at rand?

Was that for us?
8th Aug 2004, 14:03
FIELDS AIRMOTIVE RAND AIRPORT. Nothing to do with Fields of bygone years.

Treetopflyer
9th Aug 2004, 19:56
HS748-232 Srs.2A, s/n 1611, TR-LFW formerly registered VP-BCL, C-FINE, A2-ABA, C-FINE, F-OSPM and 9L-LBH. No mention about Andover on there. Also, I doubt an aircraft without a civilian type certificate would have ever been on the French civilian register as this one has.

Was that for us?
10th Aug 2004, 13:05
Quite correct TTF! However there are data plates with aircraft and aircraft with data plates.

Treetopflyer
10th Aug 2004, 19:05
To my knowledge Andovers have a rear cargo door (among other features such as 'kneeling' main gears and redesigned wing flaps), which TR-LFW didn't have. But you seem pretty certain of what you are asserting; I am just wondering where you are getting that information from.

juliettepapa
12th Aug 2004, 14:44
Was that for us!

I have to notice this thread was not for you.Before talking things, you better verify your information.And giving name on the site it's not appropriate.If at least you could spell it properly.

This HS748 was also register EL when it arrive at Libreville.

freightboss
13th Aug 2004, 06:14
The ex-military (read non-civilian) aircraft operated by Gabex a while ago, was a YS11. It was moved to the DRC after being impounded in Malabo for sh@tty paper work.

Was that for us?
14th Aug 2004, 06:16
FB
FYI I know the difference between a YS 11 and an HS 748 and an Andover II.

JP
I dont understand your comment "I have to notice this thread was not for you."
As for names on pprune well thats for the Moderators to decide.
An aircraft bearing an EL registration is no guarantee that all is correct infact from my experience it usually means the very opposite .

juliettepapa
14th Aug 2004, 11:24
Was that for us,

You spreading idea! You don't put fact on you thread involving name of people you probably don't know.I know Gabex and this HS748 and the Andover they were using just because i have flown them myself and be there on the beginning of the company.So i feel a bit frustrated when guys like you give your kind of truth wich is rabish.I did operate EL aircraft registreted and it was not like you pretending from my experience.So if you did operate EL aircraft yourself i'll be glad to hear what your experience was, and not what you did heard from a bar mate.

Was that for us?
14th Aug 2004, 14:51
Jaypee! I see from your profile you claim to be CL44 rated!
You must have been involved with another dodgy operator beside GABEX as I know that CL 44 operator you must have flown with and they are iffy.

juliettepapa
17th Aug 2004, 13:29
Was that for us.

What i was talking about was not about Gabex but about Kiki Lemaire and Field airmotive.You should know field airmotive has been granted by the CAA in south africa to do Dart engine overhaul a couple of years ago.That's what you call dodgy? Yes i have been flying CL44. And unless you know personaly them and seen them doing dodgy things.Please dont use such terms.

perceval
17th Aug 2004, 16:26
Go JP !!
that sure warmed you up in your lovely northen country . Don't worry , I am sure he never flew that CL with you .Might be dodgy , but it would be fab to drive .I am merely jealous in this case .How is the exam ??
Any nice long legged scot lass yet ?

Deserted Rat
18th Aug 2004, 05:26
Under what licence did you fly that CL44 jp? Which licencing authority granted you the type rating?
Just wondering ...

Was that for us?
18th Aug 2004, 18:46
JP!
I KNOW MR KIKI AND HAVE HAD DEALINGS WITH HIM AND I LOST!!
I KNOW VERY VERY WELL THE CL 44 OPERATOR WHO ALSO OPERATED DC-4'S AND I KNOW THE THINGS THEY GOT UP TO. I HAVE 2000HRS ON THE CL44 MY SELF. COULD THOSE GUYS IN KIN ACTUALLY FLY THE CL44? OR WERE THEY JUST COWBOYS? HOW COME THEY CRASHED THE CL?

wheelchock
18th Aug 2004, 22:48
JP,

Paps, c'est toi? J&B? EL regs, wow, brings back memories. Kiki, Duane......Ca va ici, malembe....Afrique Du Sud, hehehee, check your sms's!!!

-Petit-

Was that for us?
20th Aug 2004, 14:45
JAYPEE YOU ARE VERY QUIET WHATS UP? TOUCHED SOME NERVE ENDINGS DID I?

juliettepapa
21st Aug 2004, 09:40
Was that for us.

Nothing did break my little heart.Dont worry.I am busy doing some training in the UK at the moment.If you have been in the dark side with Kiki that's your problem dont just try to put your personal story to everyone who come across of those people you mention.That's all.who knows what's happened when they crash the Cl i was not there so i dont spread any gossyp.Please try to put fact on thing you said like"i have been screwed by those guys i dont like them".I thing it will be fair.Training was done by qulify people who cam from oversea.Long process indeed and the Congolese CAA valided the training provided.Nothing wrong with it.

Perceval;
Unfortunately to busy here to come across of nice long legged scot lass.Give my regards to everyone up there and a hug to your half.

Deserted Rat
21st Aug 2004, 09:56
Training was done by qulify people who cam from oversea.Long process indeed and the Congolese CAA valided the training provided.

aha. interesting as that was the only cl44 flying. so what licences and check and training qualifications did these mystery people have to train you? cant be many current cl44 training crews? or did you just pay the congo caa to give you a rating?

wheelchock
21st Aug 2004, 10:13
Deserted Rat

aha. interesting as that was the only cl44 flying. Really? How about ALG's guppy? It flew back in '96 for Azal in Baku, and is now reg 9G-LCA....

GUSTO
21st Aug 2004, 14:09
Hi Everybody ,

Last news from fool are : The owner of gabex , the director of civil aviation , the director of Veritas and the Captain are in Jail .

The authorities waited for the result of invesigation of the British team that came to inspect the engines before putting them in jail. Unfortunately TOO many things were really wrong ...

Presidential Election are coming soon in this country so it will not be a surprise if they are going to be release just after ...

JP ,

Has thit boet ? Have you finished the flight part yet ? Any news from uncle mike ?

Cheers

gusto

Shuwi
24th Jul 2005, 15:43
Hi guys,
The F/O was and is still a friend of mine's. His old brother too.
They were flying this company for a few months.
The F/O is now flying on ATP in europe, and his brother on A320 at Qatar Airways.
The Captain was put in jail because he was advised before the flight of this gearbox HS. The F/O wasn't, but him and his brother had a lot of issues leaving Gabon.

BAKELA
24th Jul 2005, 17:11
Shuwi, what's this all about? Or did I miss the point just reading through this thread? Won't be surprised...it is Africa...!:confused:

Shuwi
25th Jul 2005, 15:44
That was just to give news of them, especially the younger one who escaped a crash.