PDA

View Full Version : Manx Festival of Aviation August 6,7,8 2004.

Capt. Horrendous
8th Jun 2004, 09:37
Take a look at MFA 2004 (http://www.mfa.org.im)

No parking or landing fees, guests of honour Burt and Dick Rutan, full airshow on both days.

Hopefully see you there.

Ransman
18th Jun 2004, 18:01
This should prove to be a great event, fantastic last year, should be bigger and better this year. A great fly-in, rember to bring the tent, make a long weekend of it!:ok:

sycamore
18th Jun 2004, 20:46
Heard a rumour the Rutans are coming over by Spaceship 1??????
Laxey Wheel STAR arrival??

Ransman
23rd Jun 2004, 07:49
I believe it's true, the Rutans are paying a visit to the Island for the Aviation Festival. Should be a great fly-in.:ok:

QNH 1013
23rd Jun 2004, 10:16
Capt Horrendus,

We went last year and had a wonderful day, but I'm not sure about the free landing and parking. Landing and parking were advertised as free last year but we were still charged £20 on arrival "to help towards the airshow".

If this had been made clear in advance we would still have gone and paid willingly. I just don't like surprises and it is misleading to advertise free landing and parking and then charge everyone when they book in. It gets the day off to a poor start.

Keep fingers crossed for good weather.

2Donkeys
23rd Jun 2004, 10:28
I got approached by somebody at Cranfield yesterday who I initially took to be a spotter. He watched me pull up onto the apron then beckoned me earnestly over.

"You couldn't take a load of these leaflets advertising the Manx Festival of etc etc for me could you?", he asked. "Only, they won't let me onto the airfield and I don't want to get into trouble".

It wasn't you was it Captain?

If so, a belated hello.

oscarmike
23rd Jun 2004, 10:30
We went last year and had a wonderful day, but I'm not sure about the free landing and parking. Landing and parking were advertised as free last year but we were still charged £20 on arrival "to help towards the airshow".

From the Information page:

Money
No Aerodrome fees just £10 per person for each day you are here to cover the airshow
admission fees. Pay in advance or on the day – cheques to Manx Air Aces or cash accepted.

Regards

OM

Capt. Horrendous
1st Jul 2004, 12:54
Sorry guys, I've been away touring for the worlds favourite regional airline elst I would have got back to you sooner.

Two Donks, no that wasn't me, but one of our undercover agents .:cool:

The Rutan visit is confirmed and we have exchanged contracts. The brothers will be doing a presentation at the Manx Museum, Douglas, on the Friday evening both about the Voyager round the world trip and Spaceship one, and will be wandering around the airshow on the Saturday and Sunday.

Q1013, the airshow entry fees, as Oscar Mike says, were advertised in advance on the website, both last year and this. If you just want to fly in and explore our beautiful island we'd still welcome you with open arms and do all we can to make your visit enjoyable. If we didn't make that clear enough, then I'm genuinely sorry it came as a suprise, there was absolutley no attempt made to hide it.

The event medical officer is an AME and is offering discounted basic medical renewals.

We've got a 1998 Tyrell F1 car coming and we've teed up a race between it, a Tiger Moth and a superbike riden by a TT racer, that should be fun. I saw something similar at Reno last year ( which is where I literally bumped into Dick Rutan and exchanged cards hence the visit ) between a rocket car and an Agcat - the car won every time so we'll have to see about fixing it this time in our favour.

If anyone fancies helping us out as a marshal, you'll get a free lunch, a nice bright bib and really up close to the action. If you are interested, just let me know by E-Mail ([email protected]) .

The website has all the info and contact details you'll need to arrange for a great weekend away.

Capt. Horrendous
Event Manager.

Dogsnatcher
1st Jul 2004, 22:00
Went last year, the first time to the IofM. Top event, friendly, well organised and fantastic value. C172s racing round and round didn't do it for me, but the airshow was awesome.

PS, can we have some Ice Cream this year !!.

DS

Capt. Horrendous
6th Jul 2004, 12:33
Ice Cream, yes. One van on Saturday and two on Sunday.

Thanks for the compliments, hope to see you next month.

Capt. Horrendous
12th Jul 2004, 16:54
Programme of events

ALL TIMES LOCAL

Friday August 6th

Aircraft Fly In 1300 – 2000. Time trial and spot landing competitions.

Transport to Douglas leaves Jurby at 4pm and 8pm

7pm for 8 pm, Rutan Lecture, Manx Museum.

............................................................ ........

Saturday 7 August

Transport Douglas to Jurby 9am and 11am.

0800 – 1115, Aerodrome open for arriving aircraft.

1130 – 1230 Air Race Practice, Royal Aero Club.

1300 – 1549 Air Display as follows:

Hawker Hunter Heritage Avi Dev J Whaley 13.00 8

BAe Hawk Royal Air Force Flt Lt D Harvey 13.09 8

Grumman Avenger A Haig-Thonas B Skillicorn 13.18 8

Skyraider Kennet Aviation J Beattie 15.27 8

Stearman x 2 (Wingwalk) AerosuperBatics Ltd M Carrington/M Dentith 13.36 12

Sea Vixen De Havilland Aviation B Grant 13.49 8

Spitfire IX A Hodgson A Hodgson 13.58 8

DH 82A Tiger Moth D Cyster D Cyster 14.07 6

T33 Silver Star Golden Apple Ops. C Spink 14.14 8

Sukhoi 26 Gold Air International W Curtis 14.23 10

P51 Mustang P Teichman P Teichman 14.34 8

Glider and Tug Take Off 14.43 3

YAK 52 x 4 Yakovlev Team J Hopkinson (Ldr) 14.47 14

Blanic Glider Andreas Gliding Club T Wiseman 15.02 8

Panavia Tornado Royal Air Force Flt Lt J Nixon 15.11 9

Lynx ASW Royal Navy Lt Cdr D Lewis 15.21 8

Sea Fury R N Historic Flight 15.30 8

BAe Harrier Royal Air Force Flt Lt C Margiotta 15.39 9

Falcons Parachute Display RAF Para. Disp. Team. A Booth (Ldr) 15.49 10

1600 – 1700 Air Race

Transport to Douglas 5pm
............................................................ ...............
Sunday 8 August

Transport Douglas to Jurby 9am and 11 am

0800 – 1115 Aerodrome open for arriving aircraft

11.30 – 1230 Air race

1300 - 1530 Air Display as follows:

Falcons Parachute Display RAF Para. Disp.Team. A Booth (Ldr) 13.00 10

Sea Fury R N Historic Flight 13.11 8

Sea Vixen De Havilland Aviation B Grant 13.20 8

P51 Mustang P Teichman P Teichman 13.29 8

BAe Hawk Royal Air Force Flt Lt D Harvey 13.38 8

Stearman x 2 (Wingwalk) AerosuperBatics Ltd M Carrington/M Dentith 13.47 12

Spitfire IX A Hodgson A Hodgson 14.00 8

Hawker Hunter Heritage Avi Dev J Whaley 14.09 8

DH 82A Tiger Moth D Cyster D Cyster 14.18 6

T33 Silver Star Golden Apple Ops. C Spink 14.25 8

Glider and Tug Take Off 14.34 3

YAK 52 x 4 Yakovlev Team J Hopkinson (Ldr) 14.38 14

Blanic Glider Andreas Gliding Club T Wiseman 14.53 8

Panavia Tornado Royal Air Force Flt Lt J Nixon 15.02 9

Lynx ASW Royal Navy Lt Cdr D Lewis 15.12 8

Grumman Avenger A Haig-Thonas B Skillicorn 15.21 8

Skyraider Kennet Aviation J Beattie 15.30 8

1545 Departures.

The End

Dogsnatcher
24th Jul 2004, 19:11
Thanks, two cornets and a 99 please!!.

Have you laid on Transport from Jurby to Douglas ( and back again ) for the Rutan Lecture ?? I will be camping 'neath my plane on the Friday WX permitting.

Capt. Horrendous
24th Jul 2004, 20:31
Yes, we've laid on a free minibus for people who want to get into Douglas on the Friday night for Burt and Dick's forum. It leaves Jurby at 6.30 pm sharp, returns at 11pm.

There is an information flyer about the lectures on the website now - www.mfa.org.im .

Capt. Horrendous
31st Jul 2004, 12:42
There are forty aircraft booked to come to the festival, in addition to the display aircraft staying over at Jurby. Additional notifications arriving each day, even the wx aint looking too bad it should be a fab weekend.

If you can't make it to the IOM, The Rutan Bros will be doing a couple of Lectures in the UK as well. One is at the RAeS in London this coming Thursday, the other is in Edinburgh next Tuesday. Both at 7.30pm. Details on tickets can be found on the www.mfa.org.im website.

STANDTO
6th Aug 2004, 08:18
Do come and say hello to the poor beleaguered incident commander, who will be sat in either a slightly muddy Ford Explorer covered in blue and yellow squares, or the Civil Defence trailer.

One of the few occasions in life where I have been able to combine personal interests with work. The others have involved plain clothes work in lap dance clubs :ok:

See you there, and have a safe event.

Vedeneyev
8th Aug 2004, 20:32
Excellent event - and thanks to the friendly manxers(?) for all the ad hoc lifts etc - amazing achievement to pull together such a high quality and varied display and the only feedback I can give as a punter for next year is to have a single source of information for visitors ... Shame the weather scared most people away this morning but I guess most aren't going to chance scud-running the Irish Sea!

The Rutans' talk gave a small insight into their amazing achievements and I'm sure they'll be blowing their trumpets much louder come next month!