PDA

View Full Version : PPL in the US/Canada

johnfairr
7th Jun 2004, 19:53
Ladies & Gentlemen,

My apologies if this particular subject has been aired before, I haven't searched the threads for it.

My son is 21, has finished his second year at Uni, after 2 years in the UAS and now wants to gain a PPL in the Civi world.

When I was a lad, there used to be scores of adverts in the flying mags for PPL accreditation in the States and Canada for what now seems a very lowly amount.

Has anybody got experience/got a PPL/tried to do this sort of thing, etc?

Any info would be gratefully received, even if it's just a link to a previously discussed thread.

Many Thanks,

klausk
7th Jun 2004, 21:41
Hi,

Canadian situation based on Boundary Bay Airport (www.czbb.com):
- ground school (40 hrs min) - ~$300 (CAD)
- books and other material - $300 (CAD)
- 1 hr flying in a C172 (solo) - ~$110-$125 (CAD)
- 1 hr instructor (add on top of the plane cost)- ~$45-50 (CAD)
- 1 hr fuel surcharge - ~$5-7 (CAD)

He will need at least 44 hrs of flying to qualify for the license (12 hours min must be solo) - official info is at http://www.tc.gc.ca/air/menu.htm. Realistically, people fly about 60-70 hours before they get their license (average - yes, there are exceptions). You can calculate the costs.

Before your son starts considering the canadian option -- figure out how he's going to convert the canadian PPL into a JAR PPL (EU). I'm facing this issue right now...

Sans Anoraque
8th Jun 2004, 10:59
John,

You haven't had many replies, probably because this has been discussed to death over the last few years on here. I would suggest using the search engine, and as you said, looking in the back pages of 'Flyer' or 'Pilot' and then researching comments on the specific schools on here also.

(There was also an article in the March issue of 'Flyer' about doing a JAA PPL in Florida if you can track down a copy).

For what it's worth, I did my JAA PPL in the States and I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

NLM13
8th Jun 2004, 12:56
Check your PM's John, I've sent you some info on this