PDA

View Full Version : Number of UK Airfields Visited

Blind lemon
7th Jun 2004, 16:49
Apologies if this question has been asked previously.

I am curious to know how many UK airfields and airstrips are
in Ppruners log books.

:D

Charlie Zulu
7th Jun 2004, 17:00
Lets see (from memory):

Cardiff, Swansea, Pembrey, Haverfordwest, Shobdon, Gloucestershire, Compton Abbass, Henstridge, Dunkeswell, Exeter, Plymouth, Perranporth, Kemble, Bournemouth, Lydd, Filton, Biggin Hill, Manston, Rochester, Stapleford, Duxford, Coventry, Halfpennygreen (as it was named then), Welshpool, Jersey, Bembridge, Old Sarum, Sturgate, Teeside, Blackpool.

That makes 30 airfields in the UK. I have also a few in France and Ireland. But the vast majority of the others are within the United States (West and East Seaboards).

I've also been to other fields in the UK in friends aeroplanes.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

IRRenewal
7th Jun 2004, 18:31
Have a look here (http://www.g-evva.co.uk/home.htm). These guys did 62 different airfields in 1 day.

Cheers

Gerard

Whirlybird
7th Jun 2004, 19:55
In order of visiting them for the first time....

Welshpool, Gloucester, Shobdon, Tatenhill, Caernarfon, Cardiff, Halfpenny Green (now Wolverhampton), Sleap, Oxford, Wellesbourne, Derby, Chirk, Pembrey, Liverpool, Shoreham, Old Sarum, Blackpool, Perranporth, Sywell, Carlisle, Bruntingthorpe, Cranfield, Kemble, Ashbourne, Elstree, Swanton Morley, Bagby, Dundee, Fife, Eshott, Sherburn-in-Elmet, Hinton-in-the-Hedges, Long Marston, Swansea, Barton, Fairoaks, Leicester, Rochester, Ashcroft, Coventry, Haverfordwest, Duxford, Nottingham, Telford, Otherton, Compton Abbas, Thruxton, White Waltham, Hawarden, Cumbernauld, Oban, Tiree, Barra, Inverness, Headcorn, West Wales, Conington, Fenland, Earls Colne, Manston, Southend.

61 in total.

Keef
8th Jun 2004, 12:05
47 UK airfields, 96 in total. I'm sure there are plenty of folks with close to 500.

My "Airfields List" shows as "open and operational" in the UK:
132 licenced, open to GA,
50 military, open to GA
19 "unlicensed" but open
11 licenced but GA banned or restricted (like Heathrow)
7 military where GA is not allowed
11 unlicensed with restrictions on GA
510 private strips which may or may not be open (and there are probably lots more I don't know about)
86 gliding sites (some accept GA, some don't)
82 helicopter sites
67 microlight sites.

So that's 975 "possibles" depending what you fly. There are certainly many more fields used for occasional aircraft visits, so the sky's the limit.

The sad part is that there are 2,285 in the "is or was an airfield" list, so we've lost more than half of them, and there are only 132 now useable for flying training. Many of those are under threat. Hence the efforts of A4A - see http://www.airfields.org.uk/

B9
8th Jun 2004, 12:26
219 in UK and 226 in Rest of World.

Monocock
8th Jun 2004, 13:11
So far, there are 103 different places in my logbook.

56 are licenced.
44 are not.

The other 3..........I have vowed NEVER to tell anyone but it was worth it!:}

Rote 8
8th Jun 2004, 15:57
Whirly

I am intrigued by the inclusion of Telford in your list. Do you mean Sherlowe, or Shifnal (Shaw Lane) or is there a field that has escaped my notice?

Whirlybird
8th Jun 2004, 18:17
Rote 8,

I mean Shifnal. I started a microlight conversion there. I got told to call it Telford in my log book. Well, what do I know? :confused:

Flyin'Dutch'
8th Jun 2004, 21:43
Obviously I am deeply frustrated but anyone asking these questions has not been around for long enough in flying.

There is always a bugger that has a bigger or more shiney one.

Or has done it more often.

Bear that in mind!

;)

FD

High Wing Drifter
8th Jun 2004, 22:30
Blackbushe
Coventry
Kemble
Shoreham
Thruxton
Shobdon
Wellsbourne Mountford
Lydd
Exeter
Duxford
Norwich
Retford Gamston

Not much, but a good effort I think for my first year of flying. Prehaps a little lacking in variety. Not one single grass field!

Whirlybird
9th Jun 2004, 07:02
Obviously I am deeply frustrated but anyone asking these questions has not been around for long enough in flying.
There is always a bugger that has a bigger or more shiney one.
Or has done it more often.
Bear that in mind!

True, but....

IMHO threads like this are rather fun. They give everyone a chance to start counting, and/or see where everyone else has been. It doesn't have to be a game of airfield bagging oneupmanship; it can be: "Oooo so-and-so's been to Fair Isle; I must ask him about it, always wanted to go there", or whatever.
The Flyer List way back had a discussion about hours per airfield (you divide one by the other) and it ran and ran; I tried it on here and it fizzled out, which I always thought was a shame.

But then, I'm probably deeply frustrated too - been reading PPRuNe too long, and just back from a flying holiday and finding it hard to settle to non-flying work. :{ ;)

High Wing Drifter
9th Jun 2004, 09:19
IMHO threads like this are rather fun. They give everyone a chance to start counting, and/or see where everyone else has been.
Yup! Like the fact I really need to visit a grass field. Until I did this exercise it hadn't really bothered me :\

Edited for appalling spelling!

Rote 8
9th Jun 2004, 09:23
Whirly

I recall your Microlight diary a while back. I was living in Shifnal at the time and recall wondering if maybe that was where you were doing the training.

My own list from memory and in no particular order

Halfpenny Green, Wellesbourne, Gloucestershire, Coventry, Shobdon, Sleap, Welshpool, Pembrey, Cardiff, Swansea, Plymouth, Exeter, Duxford, Long Mynd, Telford/Shifnal, Peterbrough Conington, Tatenhill, Kemble, Hawarden, Blackpool, Ronaldsway (Isle of Man), Oxford, Bembridge (Isle of Wight), Cosford, Shawbury, Ternhill, Filton, Caernarfon

GroundBound
9th Jun 2004, 09:40
Not a great tally in the UK, but then I don't fly there that often – Cambridge, Sywell, Oxford, Jersey, Guernsey, Southend, Bembridge, Aldergrove, Egglington

Few more outside the UK, though
Ireland - Donnegal, Sligo
France - Caen, Cherbourg, Dinard
Belgium - Charleroi, St Ghislain, Spa, Genk, (and Ostende this p.m :ok: )
NL - Middle Zeeland,
Germany - Egglesbach,

(edited to Add Popham, Manston, Lydd and Rochester)

Blind lemon
9th Jun 2004, 17:03
As Whirlybird has pointed out already it was only intended to be a bit of fun

Flyin'Dutch, I salute your obvious long standing in the world of aviation and hope that you can indulge those who 'have not been around for long enough in flying'.

I am sure to quote yourself 'there is always a bugger that has a bigger or more shiney one' but the question was posed out of curiosity rather than intended to be competative.

Thanks to all those who have given it their best shot.

:)

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Jun 2004, 18:29
BL, darling,

I was only naughty and the remark was very much tongue in cheek.

Whilst grey and perhaps long in the tooth by some measures it was not a million light years ago that I found myself totting up all sorts of data.

My comments were merely made to so that lesser gods may not feel inadequate when they see the impressive stats posted by some of those who have already reached demi-god status.

;)

What I did observe though is that some people state they have not been to a grass airfield yet post visits to Shoreham (which has 6 grass RWYs) Kemble (2) and Duxford (2) so perhaps some food for thought there!

Enjoy!

FD

Andy_R
9th Jun 2004, 23:56
From one of the lesser gods then:

Shoreham (both grass and tarmac!!)
Goodwood
Headcorn
Lydd
Rochester
Southend
Manston