PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the swing of things....

Ian_Wannabe
7th Jun 2004, 14:45
Hey everyone,
I've just booked a weeks worth of hardcore flying to complete my PPL, along with my skills test date booked.
But, I was about to do my qualifying Xcountry...... 2 months ago. Because of exams etc etc I've had to wait until now.

So basically i'm pretty worried about getting into things again, considering that its a pretty heavy flight to go straight back into!

I've booked an hours refresher but my main concern is in the RT.

Does anyone have clever little ways of refreshing themselves after a long session out of the flying game?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

DRJAD
7th Jun 2004, 15:05
Well, I'd suggest anticipation.

I.e. sort out a cross-country route, including things like MATZ crossings, zone transits, circuit joining, etc., and write down the calls you expect to have to make, and the likely replies and requests and instructions from ATC. That'll refresh your memory.

If you've time, plot another route, with similar complications, and ask another pilot to play the part of the various ATC agencies, with you interacting as appropriate.

Also, think through to yourself about the differences between ATC, AFIS, and A/G, and be clear about what they mean.

Good luck!

FlyFreeWbe
7th Jun 2004, 16:32
I think I'm more or less in the same situation as you Ian, just a few duals behind. Granted, never thought about booking it all in a week..have to see what the money payer thinks to that. Anticipation sounds like an idea. My only problem though is that I don't really remember much of the ATC half of an RT convo, I seem to say what I want, answer their questions, then forget whatever info I haven't written down. I'll probably just go in one day and talk it through with an FI.

Personally, I read. Rules/Regs etc, then plot a truckload of flights with added extras light W&Ballance (et al), then make up scenarios like 'what will I say if my engine falls out'.
G'luck:cool:
FFW

O, btw, seeing as you've booked your skills, any idea on the waiting list for them? I hoping to get done and dusted by mid-July. Thanks!

Ian_Wannabe
8th Jun 2004, 10:05
Hey thanks for the replies :ok:

FlyFree - I reckon it all depends on your school, but I fly from Sherburn and I booked a month in advance. If you book in advance, and book more skills test hours than needed (cos the weather WILL be bad!) then you should be fine to get it finished by July

Anyone else got any tips?

Thanks again

Ian

NinjaBill
8th Jun 2004, 11:31
Ian, why dont you post a message on the notice board, asking if you can sit in the back during others lessons, you could then listen to all the rt you liked, for the cost of a bacon sarnie :ok:

Ian_Wannabe
8th Jun 2004, 12:58
Ahhh NB, what an excellent idea.... i'll get on to it... cheers

DRJAD
9th Jun 2004, 07:15
Ian

I fly from Sherburn fairly often. If you'd like to share a flight and monitor the RT traffic, you are welcome.

PM me if you'd like to discuss it.

FlyFreeWbe
9th Jun 2004, 10:55
Had to post again, thought I'd help a fella out.
I know it's not the real thing, but I remember a friend of mine (B747 pilot and RT examiner [you know who you are!]) emailing me some documents sumarising calls, differences between AFIS A/G ATC, structure of airspace and other bits. Found it on my PC yesterday, forgot I had it. Don't think he'd want me to dish it out to everyone though, but PM me if you want it,
FFW

Ian_Wannabe
9th Jun 2004, 12:22
thanks again everyone, true legends - PM's are waiting :ok: