PDA

View Full Version : Welshpool Airport

Big Hilly
7th Jun 2004, 12:48
I popped into Welshpool airport this weekend whilst trundling around on a Sunday afternoon and I do feel that I have to say on here what a cracking little airfield it is. A really nice bright and modern canteen overlooking the runway, superb bacon baps, really friendly people and superb views.

Whoever the new manager/owner is (Bob something I think); many congrats on turning it into a really nice GA field and I hope it does REALLY well, because it certainly deserves to.

Best wishes,

BH

Max AirFactor
7th Jun 2004, 14:44
BH

Glad to here this. My parents are just up the road and I plan to visit over a couple of days. I'd be interested to fly with a local with Snowdon area experience, though I have seen a couple of threads with hints and tips.

[I will be departing Biggin, (VFR, 100kts, low hours). Any hints on routing and who to talk to on the way?. I was thinking of heading over Brize? but not sure of the best route round the muddle to the west of Ockham.]

MAF

Big Hilly
7th Jun 2004, 15:31
Max,

Would suggest something like:

Biggin - M23/M25 VRP
M23/M25 VRP - Farnborough
Farnborough - CPT (With a little side-step to avoid Blackbushe)
CPT - Welshpool (Pretty much 315ish true track) will take you just slightly west of the brize O/H. You just need to watch out for R101, R104, P106 and the HIRTAs at Pershore & Defford.

Give Brize Zone a call on 119.0 in plenty of time (pref as soon as your DME picks up their TACAN (111.9)), they'll give you a squawk and may give you a height but you'll have no probs ;)

Oh, one other thing that may catch you out if your're not used to dealing with the RAF: Some mil controllers will say "maintain Victor Mike"! It's nothing sinister just their way of saying 'Maintain VMC'. . . .:ok:

Have fun!

BH

ariel
7th Jun 2004, 16:15
BH

Thanx for the vote of confidence! We hope to see you again sometime.

ariel

Big Hilly
7th Jun 2004, 16:27
Ariel,

No worries. Alas, I don't often have much cause to come up to your neck of the woods but if I ever do, will definitely pop in again.

Many thanks once again,

BH

Whirlybird
7th Jun 2004, 16:36
I live pretty close to Welshpool, though at the moment I fly out of Sleap and Hawarden. If anyone who's flying there fancies meeting for coffee etc, send me a pm and I'll try to make it down there...or even fly the ten minutes from Sleap!