PDA

View Full Version : Shortage of suitably qualified Instructors looming in the US

inyoni
21st Jan 2001, 01:03
Heard tell that JAA Commercial Pilot Flight Schools will have difficuly in finding FAA Instructors in the US to conduct Commercial Pilot Training for European Flight schools as when US instuctors have 500 hours they are being snapped up by the commuter companies. As 500 hours is required by JAA for someone to be able to conduct training for a JAA CPL that would equate to a problem from where I see it. Or can low time FAA Instructors do the basics still?
Any comments anybody

rolling circle
21st Jan 2001, 01:41
This is an intersting one which is set to cause a great deal of trouble both inside and outside the JAA.

The situation at present is that JAR-FCL1 does not allow any training outside JAA member states except for "all or part of the ATP integrated course" (Appendix 1b to JAR-FCL 1.055). Neither does JAR-FCL1 allow the use of non-JAA instructors, no matter how much experience they have.

A proposed amendment to allow training on modular courses outside JAA member states and to allow that training to be provided by non-JAA instructors was included in JAR-NPA 14. Initially the requirement was for a non-JAA instructor to have 1000 hours, later reduced to 500 hours. The UK CAA immediately began to approve FTO's and TRTO's outside the JAA, adopting the 500 hr minimum in the NPA.

However, when the JAR-FCL committee met to consider NPA 14 and to formulate the amendment to JAR-FCL1, it refused even to consider that part of the amendment dealing with training outside JAA member states and threw it out. Therefore any training given outside JAA member states that is not part of the integrated ATP course is not compliant with the requirements of JAR-FCL1 and is not recognised by any JAA member state other than the UK.

This leaves the UK out on a limb - they are still approving training organisations outside JAA member states and issuing licences and ratings based on that training. Their position is that UK law requires them to approve any organisation that meets the requirements and, until that law is changed, or superceded by EU law, they will continue to issue approvals.

Meanwhile, the rest of the JAA, led by France, is threatening to refuse to recognise JAA licences and ratings issued by the UK on the basis of training carried out in non-JAA states. Already the French DGAC is refusing to issue type ratings on French issued licences if the training has been carried out by TRIs and TREs approved by the UK CAA.

The latest development is that the JAA committee has ordered the JAR-FCL committee to re-consider the amendment at its next meeting but there is enormous resistance within the JAA to approval of training outside JAA member states.

In this climate it is most unlikely that a reduction of the requirement for 500 hours will be forthcoming. More likely is the restoration of the 1000 hour minimum as that is likely to ensure that non-JAA instructors are frozen out - a result that France, for one, would welcome.

NIMBUS
21st Jan 2001, 05:27
inyoni,
I don't think 500 hr instructors are being snapped up. Seems to me that 1000+ is the minimum before a commuter will even look interested!

inyoni
21st Jan 2001, 09:14
Well this is the content of an email I received from a former colleague:
" I heard to day that Trans state has minuim of 500TT and 100 multi, so there is
hope with them of moving on quickly. 'JB' got picked up by them."
Furthermore I know from another colleague that what I said about the 500+ hour instructor for the JAA courses being a potential problem - it already is!
Nice posting RC - I thought you'd come back on this one, most illuminating!

Sleeve Wing
21st Jan 2001, 15:51
Ah, nos amis Les Francais !
Waterloo encore !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[This message has been edited by Sleeve Wing (edited 21 January 2001).]

Bear Cub
21st Jan 2001, 17:51
Doesn't this suggest that it is time for the UK to put two fingers up at JAR and go back to the National licence?...which has worked perfectly well for donkeys years.

The idea of a JAA PPL being able to go from an airfield in the UK to rent an aircraft in France or Spain - or wherever - doesn't seem to justify the hassle for everything else that is involved....if indeed, that European flying school will rent them an aircraft (as their paperwork, flying order books etc are likely to be written in the local language).

Anybody taken advantage of that yet?

The idea of a CPL getting a job on the European mainland doesn't fill me with enthusiasm either...I doubt any other country will accept pilots who do not speak their language fluently (English may work on the R/T - but maybe not when dealing with passengers).

Again...anybody used the international privilidges?

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

Luke SkyToddler
22nd Jan 2001, 01:17
Well I have been told by more than one French operator that they won't be interested unless I speak fluent French ... a mate of mine tells me it's the same story in Italy. I can't say I blame them or think they're being unreasonable. All this so-called 'licence harmonization' stuff is bloody ridiculous - as rolling circle has pointed out, the UK CAA is busy giving exemptions left and right and the French are already giving two fingers to the British issued JAR licence. I think it's pretty clear that the 'common European licence' is a stillborn infant.

Le JAR est mort, vive le UK!!

RVR800
22nd Jan 2001, 15:16
Wouldn't it be good to have a single body
controlling standards worldwide ?

We could call it the International Civil
Aviation Organisation ICAO

... Oh how silly of me, I forgot, Europe
with it's own unique climate needs its
own bureuocracy ..

JAA - Job Advancement for Administators

taildragger2
24th Jan 2001, 04:30
Very grey area!
Im quite new to the aviation scene (4 years) but this time last year instructors from Florida were being snapped up at around 750-1000 TT 150 hrs of which must be on twin piston or turbine. Having said that many people hinted at there being BIG problems finding instructors in the States. I agree with bear cub, as a JAA student I can see the frustration of the change from national to european. I hope the CAA realise that because the current exam situation is a complete farse! The goalposts keep shifting and shifting! TO ALL AT JAA HQ UP YOURS!!!!!!................................................. ............Tailwinds....STU

GT
24th Jan 2001, 16:57
Bear Cub, I dream of a return to the national licence and I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.

RVR800, good point concerning ICAO. I've been wondering what they have been up to as the European chaos continues: not much presumably!

Let's hope that somehow things get better.

Best regards, GT.

Sleeve Wing
25th Jan 2001, 00:53
Perhaps this is worth another thread, guys, but heard a buzz today that JAR-FCL is out of the window !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only a rumour - but, where there's smoke.....??

Seems like the whole thing is to be rehashed
and developed for UK only !!!

If there's anything in this, we can only hope that they realign with the FAA or our Ozmates. Then we'll have something sensible.

Remember, you read it here !!!

:) :) :)

[This message has been edited by Sleeve Wing (edited 24 January 2001).]