PDA

View Full Version : IMC instruction with an IR?

TooHotToFly
14th Nov 2000, 01:05
Under the old CAA rules, if you were an AFI who had done the IMC upgrade course and you held a valid IR, without having the IMC instruction restriction removed you could teach people for the IMC rating. Does anyone know if this is still the case under JAR?

Noggin
14th Nov 2000, 01:21
If you wish to teach applied IF you must have the no applied IF restriction removed. Even under the old rules I cannot see how you could teach IF with a restriction on the rating.

TooHotToFly
14th Nov 2000, 01:30
Sorry I meant with the IF restriction removed but without being a QFI

A and C
14th Nov 2000, 13:15
As the IMC is a UK only rating i think the old rules apply.

Vigilant Driver
14th Nov 2000, 13:37
Now as I understand it the 'old' AFI who had done the appropriate training for applied IF and had passed the flight test could teach the IMC once he/she had the 'No Applied Instrument Instruction' removed from the grey pages of the licence.

Last year when I got my ticket it used to be that an FI(R) could not teach IMC, so I got an AFI also :)

Now these are fluid times so the rules may of changed, but at the end of the day you will need some instruction on teaching applied IF and pass the skills test.

Enjoy! :)

Noggin
14th Nov 2000, 23:31
An AFI with an IR could teach for the IMC rating provided the No Applied IF limitation was removed as you say.

Under JAR-FCL a FI(R) is excluded from the privilege of giving IF instruction however, any pilot with appropriate hours could become an IRI without a basic FI qualification. To do so, they must have 800 hours IFR flight time, do the course, pass the test and obtain an IRI rating.

[This message has been edited by Noggin (edited 14 November 2000).]

RVR800
15th Nov 2000, 14:03
My understanding is that the AFI could teach
the BASIC part of the IMC rating from
the start ie ex 19A/B

i.e. S+L, climbing, descending, turning, on Instruments etc., recovery from unusual attitudes as well as limited and Partial Panel

My first lesson as an AFI was 19A for
BASIC IMC !

..BUT one couldnt teach the APPLIED part
until the restiction was lifted
APPLIED meant approaches using radio aids

This has been complicated recently because
the CAA allow FI(R)s to teach the use of radio aids in the PPL syllabus from the
start but this is for en-route rather
than for approaches I guess

As for the people doing the AFI course with IRs they were allowed to do the COURSE for the applied instrument but has as far as I
can remember wait until they has satisfied the experience criteria for the AFI to (Q)FI
upgrade to be reached for the CAA to lift
the restriction on Applied Instruction

Its all a bit of a dogs breakfast

[This message has been edited by RVR800 (edited 15 November 2000).]

Noggin
16th Nov 2000, 00:38
AFI and FI(R) can teach basic IF Ex 19 however, if they have a JAR-FCL licence they are confined to VFR unless they have an instrument qualification.

I don't see why VFR radio navigation should complicate anything, you do not have to fly IFR to use radio aids.