View Full Version : Twin training as a FI

UKPPL
18th Jan 2001, 01:21
Hi, Sorry if this question is a little dumb. If you are a JAR CPL with a FI rating (which I haven't got yet BTW!!) what qualifications do you require to teach PPL(A) students for a twin rating? Do you just have to have a valid twin rating yourself? or is there more required? also can you carry out twin training as a FI(R)?

Many thanks.

TooHotToFly
18th Jan 2001, 02:02
I haven't got JAR-FCL to hand so I'm not sure these are the exact figures but I think this is correct.

Hold a multi-rating.
Have over 500 hours total time.
Have over 30 hours P1 on MEP aircraft within the last 12 months.
Go on an approved Multi-engine instructor course (and pass a test?)

I think that's about it.

Stan Evil
18th Jan 2001, 19:39
THTF is about right. I've not got my JARFCL handy either but one central pillar of it is that you must always hold the rating for which you are teaching. So you must be ME rated to teach ME, have an IR to teach IR etc. As far as previous experience goes, it's not quite as bad as THTF says. You need 30 hrs P1 ME but only 10 hrs in the last 12 months (still expensive to get). The ME instructors course is about 6 hrs in the air but quite a bit of ground work. Finally you need a test with an FIE.

Icarus Wings
18th Jan 2001, 19:39
I think TooHot is right or at least i hope he is - i`m looking to do the same thing. (By the way TooHot, what is it that you do exactly? You seem to pop up in every forum and proclaim to have the answers to everything).

TooHotToFly
18th Jan 2001, 23:50
Icarus - just trying to be helpful and from what I've read in other forums it sounds like you should be studying for your Perf A instead of reading PPRuNe.