PDA

View Full Version : Turnhouse goes titties up

CLmaximum
11th Jun 2000, 14:10
I am training at Cumbernauld (not with Turnhouse)and came in on Friday to see the Turnhouse instructors locked out and no aeroplanes on the apron.

Apparently they have defaulted on payments and may be bankrupt. One of the instructors was seriously pissed off as he had only been working for them for 10 days and had turned down another position!

Also it was dissapointing to see a 13 year old lad and his father turn up for a trial lesson for the kid's birthday which had been paid for in advace only 3 days previously.

Fokjok
11th Jun 2000, 14:28
Since the Donaghue saga, one would have thought something would have been done about pre-payment for flying lessons and courses. Airlines are required to punt bonds in advance (maybe that's where they get the ideas about shackling their pilots from), so perhaps rather than mucking about with ludicrous requirements on instructor training the regulator could have done something to prevent the regular recurrence of this type of event.

PS - wonder where Simon D is now???

squeakmail
11th Jun 2000, 16:19
Ahhhh...just think of the money that could have been made in the future if one of the other schools had taken that 13 year old for his flight (at no charge of course).

Even if they didn't telephone the press themselves, the story would have made it to the newspaper soon.

Promotional material like that for a business does not come very often - and how much would the direct cost of a 30 minute flight have been?

------------------
Animals...it's their World too!!

Sensible
12th Jun 2000, 00:22
Strange thing, many flying establishments do not seem to be run by people who are hell bent on making money - personally, I don't understand how anybody would not see the obvious good publicity which such a minimal guesture such as giving that lad a 30 min ride fre gratis would attract !!!

CLmaximum
12th Jun 2000, 00:55
I heard that the guy who runs Cumbernauld Flying School helped out and gave the young lad a free 45 minute slot with one of the instructors in a Cherokee and the young boy was pleased to say the least - so not everyone is a shark I suppose.

Chocks Wahay
12th Jun 2000, 15:29
I visited Turnhouse a couple of months ago before starting my training, and decided not to use them, mainly because they didn't seem the most professional outfit I have ever come across.

Wonder where the aircraft have gone - they had 150's if I recall correctly. Come to think of it, there was an unfamiliar blue 150 at Dundee over the weekend ... I wonder?

CLmaximum
12th Jun 2000, 17:17
One of the C150s and a 4 seater PIPER are at Perth - allegedly!

Chocks Wahay
12th Jun 2000, 19:25
Interesting ... wonder where Tayside fit into this equation? Surprised at Lovat for harbouring a known fugitive :-) or were they were his aircraft in the first place?

So, the big question is ... who was/were the creditors involved in the non payment?

squeakmail
12th Jun 2000, 22:42
I'll swear I've already written this message and it's lost in cyberspace somewhere - but....

....if someone did give the trial lesson away as a "sorry from the aviaition industry for the way you've been treated", shouldn't we all be sending OUR e-mails of support for a job well done?

Anybody know an address?...and would anybody write if they did?

------------------
Animals...it's their World too!!

Pezah
14th Jun 2000, 13:46
I was at EFC when a guy phoned up and said that he too had turned up for a lesson and the doors where shut. Not so much as a note on the door.

He was looking to use his voucher. I think that he may have got airbourne.