PDA

View Full Version : So who'd hire me then?

conair
10th Jun 2000, 05:48
Greetings all. I'm actually an imposter from the "wannabes" doing some advance planning and would like the benefit of your advice. I'm doing my PPL-CFI course (FAA) in the USA in Oct. I'm emmigrating so there's no visa issues to complicate matters. Has anyone tested the waters as far as instructor opportunities in the US are concerned? What route did you guys take? All input/comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks!!!

George Semel
10th Jun 2000, 06:38
There will be no problem getting a job as a flight instructor with just a CFI. Some schools are offering CFII and MEI's as an indusment to hire on. Its wide open right now.

Oleo
11th Jun 2000, 17:31
George is correct, you can just about walk in anywhere at the moment and they will fall over themselves to give you a job. Many have students waiting for an instructor.

Still a lot of slack operators around that you wouldn't want to work for. Maintenance can be very "average" to put it nicely. Personally I don't like working for schools that don't pay you for briefings. It is amazing here the number of instructors who give students no ground briefing at all and "show them a spin" on their first time up, better shop around! ...rave... rave... rave... ahhhh ...that's better ...!

Just to be nosey, I am curious as to how you have been able to arrange "immigration"... Email me if you prefer!
Cheers

[This message has been edited by Oleo (edited 11 June 2000).]

conair
13th Jun 2000, 12:16
George and Oleo,

Thanks for the replies fellas. On the immigration front, I have a K1 (fiance)visa as my "Mrs" of 7 Years is a US citizen and we're finally tying the knot. I'm lucky in that respect! Have either of you guys done any flying in the VA area by the way? I'm keen on doing some ferry flying once qualified, but have no idea what hours the likes of Piper etc are looking for before they trust you with a shiny new warrior. Any ideas?
Blue skies!

NIMBUS
22nd Jun 2000, 09:50
Conair,
There's no problem getting an instructor job in the US. There is a problem getting a living wage! Instructor pay over here is a joke, so make sure you have a part-time job, or better still, a rich wife!