PDA

View Full Version : multi-engine instructor

flying jocks
14th Aug 2000, 15:26
Soon to have my FI restriction removed and considering becoming a multi-engine instructor. Are there any schools in the South of England which teach the new JAA syllabus?

BlueLine
14th Aug 2000, 21:48
The syllabus isn't really any different except that the course has 5 hours flying instead of 7.

You will need 500 hours total including 30 hours multi of which 10 hours was PIC in the last 12 months. Thats the crippler!

Meeb
15th Aug 2000, 01:19
I thought the requirement was 50 multi hours under JAR to become a multi FI?

GT
15th Aug 2000, 15:54
It was going to be 50 hours with, I think, 25 P1 in the last 12 months (gulp!). So off I went to the states to build it all up. Then the b***ards moved the goal posts to that stated by BlueLine. The reason for this move, quite rightly so, was that there would not be many multi instructors after a while. The new requirements are much more realistic and sensible, although I felt a bit sick when I heard, after all my effort (and money). One last point for flying jocks, there does seem to be some confusion as to whether the ground element is 25 or 30 hours, so you may want to check this out with Tim Denyer (the instructor bloke) at Gatwick.

watford
15th Aug 2000, 15:58
BlueLine is correct:

JAR-FCL 1.380 - CRI(SPA) - Requirements

Date: June 1, 2000

(See Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.330 and 1.345)

(See AMC FCL 1.380)

(a) Multi-engine aeroplanes. An applicant for the issue of a CRI(SPA) rating for multi-engine aeroplanes shall have:

(1) completed at least 500 hours flight time as a pilot of aeroplanes;

[(2) completed at least 30 hours as PIC on the applicable type or class of aeroplane of which at least 10 hours shall be in the last 12 months;]

(3) completed an approved course at [an approved FTO or TRTO including at] least five hours flight instruction on the aeroplane or a flight simulator given by an instructor approved for this purpose (see AMC FCL 1.380); and

(4) passed a skill test in accordance with Sections 2, 3, 5 and 7 of Appendices 1 and 2 to JAR-FCL 1.330 & 1.345.

BlueLine
15th Aug 2000, 22:30
The ground training is 30 hours.

Richard Bristowe
16th Aug 2000, 01:16
Yes, but WHO is doing the FI (MEP) course?

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Aug 2000, 18:28
Does an approved multi FNPT2 "count" towards the 30hrs PIC requirement at all?

A post above suggests that the 5hr instructor course can be done on a sim...

30hr stooging around to log p1 seems a bit of a waste to me. IŽd have thought a longer (10hr?) course would be of more value than 30hrs blatting around Florida.

watford
16th Aug 2000, 21:34
RB - The following are approved for the JAA FI Rating, you'll have to contact them individually to find out if any are doing the ME:

Aeros Flying Club
Aerotraining
Air Nova Plc
Andrewsfield Aviation
Anglian Flight Centres
BAE Systems Flight Training (Europe)
Biggin Hill School of Flying
Bonus Aviation Limited
Bournemouth Flying School
C & S Aviation
European Flyers
Goodwood Flying School
Old Sarum Flying Club
Oxford Air Training School
RAF Brize Norton Flying Club
Rural Flying Corps
SFT Aviation Limited
South Warwickshire Flying School

WWW - FNPT2 does not count towards the PIC requirement. Think yourself lucky, if it weren't for a lot of hard work by very few people, you'd still be required to get 50hrs PIC in the 12 months leading up to the start of course.